ADVERTISEMENT

With Mt Airy bye last night....

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
I went to see 6-1 4A Lake Norman vs 5-2 4A Cox Mill. Simmons had Cox Mill as a 5 point favorite. Thought I would see a good game. Did not happen. Cox Mill walked away with it.

Lake Norman has between 62 and 66 players while Cox Mill had approximately 50. Warm ups I thought Cox Mill looked a little stronger, a little faster among the skilled positions.But Lake Norman looked pretty big and tough.

What I saw in the game, LN fumbled away 3 times in the 1st half, once on the 2. Cox Mill had 2 really fast smaller running backs and some strength on the line.

I started trying to compare both teams to Mt Airy and East Surry first in the skilled positions. Lake Norman only has a TE that could walkin and start at either school but he is not really fast. He makes up for it by being able to adjust his run and make cuts.

The 2 really fast running backs from CM would definitely help either MA or ES but would not replace the running backs at MA. Not sure about at ES but would/could definitely help both schools. Neither QB would replace their ES or Mt Airy counterparts.

Where the players from 4A would help is at the line positions. More size and strength that you have would obviously help either school. No so much in replacing what they have as much as expanding the offensive and defensive line personnel.

In my opinion from watching last night, the only way either of these 4A schools would beat either East or Mt Airy is if they do it on the line play over the course of a whole game. Because if it were the skill position play only, both East and Mt Airy would have a field day.
Just my thoughts.

I went to see 6-1 4A Lake Norman vs 5-2 4A Cox Mill. Simmons had Cox Mill as a 5 point favorite. Thought I would see a good game. Did not happen. Cox Mill walked away with it.

Lake Norman has between 62 and 66 players while Cox Mill had approximately 50. Warm ups I thought Cox Mill looked a little stronger, a little faster among the skilled positions.But Lake Norman looked pretty big and tough.

What I saw in the game, LN fumbled away 3 times in the 1st half, once on the 2. Cox Mill had 2 really fast smaller running backs and some strength on the line.

I started trying to compare both teams to Mt Airy and East Surry first in the skilled positions. Lake Norman only has a TE that could walkin and start at either school but he is not really fast. He makes up for it by being able to adjust his run and make cuts.

The 2 really fast running backs from CM would definitely help either MA or ES but would not replace the running backs at MA. Not sure about at ES but would/could definitely help both schools. Neither QB would replace their ES or Mt Airy counterparts.

Where the players from 4A would help is at the line positions. More size and strength that you have would obviously help either school. No so much in replacing what they have as much as expanding the offensive and defensive line personnel.

In my opinion from watching last night, the only way either of these 4A schools would beat either East or Mt Airy is if they do it on the line play over the course of a whole game. Because if it were the skill position play only, both East and Mt Airy would have a field day.
Just my thoughts.
That line play means more than many realize. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen teams hang with us (Tarboro) for a bit but we just in the end wear them down at the line. Those big fellas don’t get much praise, but they play a much larger role than many give them credit for

Line play is the most important thing in the game on both sides. Every team has a few athletes at least. But you can have 6 running backs with 4.4 40s, a QB that throws the ball 60 yards, 6'5" wideouts. It doesn't matter if there is no one to block, protect, and create holes.

It doesn't matter how good your backers and dbs are if you don't have a dline that creates holes and the ability for them to move without getting popped at the 2nd level by linemen.

How many times have eastern teams not named Tarboro or WRH loaded with athletes been absolutely dogged to death by western teams?

How did Mitchell beat Statesville in 2021? How do the SMC teams stay in games they shouldn't be in many times? It's all on the line.

Last edited:
My thoughts if Mount Airy would have played Cox Mill or Lake Norman. It would probably be non conference in late Aug or month of September more than likely 90 to 100 degree weather.could wear down the 1A team with lesser numbers Dept would play a big role in that match up for a 4A program like Cox Mill.

And for the ? about Statesville losing to Mitchell. Not trying making excuse for Statesville, but Statesville had players opt out to for College that would have made a difference in that game.

Reactions: buzzcoach

Just my thoughts.
You’re watching large schools compete against each other whereas MA is playing 1A schools. Cox Mill has plenty of athletes that would start over some of MA’s current players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT