ADVERTISEMENT

Why the Asheville fans are still mad

AhsCougar1

Oct 3, 2007
I know its Monday already 3 days after the game and Weddington has advanced. Congrats to them. I think by now it has become pretty evident that the Asheville fans feel perturbed about the loss after being penalized for 119 yards while Weddington only had 15. Typically when an officiating crew is flag happy it is on both teams. Even though my cougars were penalized by more than 100 yards, there are 3 calls in particular that have social media still buzzing with livid fans. Asheville had an 80 yard touchdown called back, ok tough luck, debatable holding call, but touch luck. Asheville receiver catches a 25 yard pass late in the 4th quarter and videos going around online show the receiver got 2 feet down with complete control, ruled no catch. That one stung a little more and resulted in head coach Danny wilkins getting a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Awful, awful call and one you would not expect from an officiating crew in the 3rd round. These are supposed to be the better refs at this point in the playoffs. The final call and the one that people are trying to make sure this crew never officiates again, was with under 5 minutes to go. Asheville down 28-21 on the 1 yard line and appeared to score a touchdown that would have tied it at 28. Instead the ruling is that he is down despite photo and video evidence that he was in. Maybe I am looking at it through Cougar shaded lenses, but I think this was the worst of the calls and could have possibly affected the outcome. What do you think? Was he in?
Congrats to Weddington and everyone else still playing.

64793_745206308878812_1801021496677823377_n.jpg

Originally posted by Deana_King:
Where is the video of the play?
No idea. I think this was a screen shot of someone watching the game on their HUDL account. I saw this particular photo on the other website.

I don't think it is possible to determine from a still at the end of the play.

I understand being upset by bad calls. Why is it OK for Asheville fans to complain days after the game, but when other fans complain it's just whining. I'm not trying to start any thing just pointing this out!

When it happened live it looked like a touchdown and from everyone I have talked to that has seen the replay dozens of times, say he was in. One thing I noticed live and on video was the side ref. 99 out of 100 times someone is down on a goal line stand, that side ref comes flying in pointing to the ground saying he was short. But in this case the side referee just kind of stands there for several seconds as if he doesn't really know what to do and is second guessing himself. And in the picture you can see the ref in the end zone just kind of standing there like "what happens now?"

Originally posted by CEI1999:
I understand being upset by bad calls. Why is it OK for Asheville fans to complain days after the game, but when other fans complain it's just whining. I'm not trying to start any thing just pointing this out!
If you can show us proof or numbers or something I would never say it was whining. I can see why people would think someone was whining when it comes to losing and officials, but if you can clearly see a guy in the end zone and it not be called touchdown, to me thats not whining. I hate it when people whine about officiating, but if you have proof, its not whining. Another thing I saw Friday was at halftime. 2 of the refs, including one of there refs that made a bunch of calls against us came up into the stands with another referee up to the press box for some reason. Well as they were coming up the stands, some of the Asheville fans were yelling at these 2 guys and one of our fans said "come on with the flags man, they have been holding all night and y'all haven't called one penalty on them." And the one ref just smiled and kept walking as if to say "kiss my ass" and our fan replied "don't laugh its not funny". I don't know what they were going up in the press box for but thats the first time I have seen that. Regardless thats not important, but the penalty yardage was even worse for us in the second half and I am not so sure after that halftime heckling they didn't have it out for us even more. Cant do anything about it now though.

Maybe you have a case but will never have any sympathy for a call going against Asheville after the Dec 10, 2005 "sleeper play" travesty.

Yes the pic shows him in....but the pic doesn't show what happened prior to that frame. Did his knee, elbow, or other body part hit first? Lots of TD's in college and pros alike are called down prior to crossing the goal line even though the runner is laying across the line. Just saying, I wish Asheville had won, I was pulling for them but this pic isn't proof.

When u watch the video it shows him clearly over laying on top of a player with half his body, the other half over the goal line, we lost, no crying here. I just don't want to see them refs ref another game. I just feel sorry for the kids. This is not even half of the calls

Didn't want to say much but it's out now, it's all kids of pictures going around the net of a defender tackling our WR yards before ball is even touched, no PI call, that's just one of many going around, as I stated I know we lost and it's not weddingtons fault either, congrats again. But I don't won't these refs to ruin another high school game again like they did this game. Again no makeing excuses for our losses, this isn't about the game anymore. It's about those refs. And to make sure they don't break more kids hearts

I'd like to watch the whole game...really break it down too...I'm curious. What if Asheville has a point? What if Weddington actually DID get away with a lot of no calls themselves? We as fans complain about refs all the time (especially when we lose) but what if it isn't all self biased paranoia? What if we actually were able to catch a group of refs (before or after the game)?

Is the entire game on hudl? or can it be obtained somewhere?

Crest91 I seen it on our cougar network, the whole game is on there, not sure if u can go to the web site to see it on there, it has it's own channel In asheville, but I also seen it on hudl.

Originally posted by ConnerP:
Maybe you have a case but will never have any sympathy for a call going against Asheville after the Dec 10, 2005 "sleeper play" travesty.
just be glad future NFL RB Johnny White was playing that game on a bum wheel, otherwise the game would've never been in doubt

Word mbdfan, but only if he knew how the play was ran. All legal. Just go back and watch it slowly. It's on YouTube bud

Whatever. I do. I have seen it several times & it wasn't. Water under the bridge but never any sympathy for Asheville.

Originally posted by crest91:

I'd like to watch the whole game...really break it down too...I'm curious. What if Asheville has a point? What if Weddington actually DID get away with a lot of no calls themselves? We as fans complain about refs all the time (especially when we lose) but what if it isn't all self biased paranoia? What if we actually were able to catch a group of refs (before or after the game)?
I think most fans that actually go to their teams games have at least one game where they feel like "man these refs suck". Refs make mistakes too and for the most part when they are bad, its consistent. But like you said, "what if the refs actually are biased?" or "what if one team has 100 more yards in penalties and its not legitimate?" I am not accusing the refs of being biased against Asheville in this particular game and that's why Asheville lost the game, but I am saying that to have a touchdown called back, a touchdown being ruled down at the 1 and a receiver being ruled out of bounds when he had TWO feet in bounds does raise suspicion. Nobody has to agree with the Asheville fans, but it could happen to your team next. This officiating crew was horrible and I genuinely hope they aren't reffing anymore this season and hopefully in the future. Its just a little upsetting because I feel like when you have a good football program (and I believe Asheville does) you have a legitimate state championship caliber team every 4-5 years and I believe Asheville had a potential state championship caliber team this year (as does Weddington). When you get into that 3rd round and beyond, the margin for error is razor thin and I feel that the refs at that point should error on the side of NOT being flag happy. I just thought being deeper in the playoffs calls like this wouldn't happen and in this day and age with social media and everyone having cameras everywhere, surely the refs would realize if they make a mistake that big, its gonna get out.
This post was edited on 12/1 8:56 PM by AhsCougar1

Originally posted by mbdfan:

Originally posted by ConnerP:
just be glad future NFL RB Johnny White was playing that game on a bum wheel, otherwise the game would've never been in doubt
Funny you mentioned that Mbdfan because I was watching the controversial play with Johnny White when it happened and he thought the runner was in the endzone too.

4th qtr crest91, I'll say around 4 mins left. So long ago can't remember. But somewhere towards the end. The TD that put us ahead for good

How is the sleeper play illegal? We've ran it before '05 and we've ran it a couple of times since then. Never been flagged. One of the defensive lineman for Weddington was consistently calling out the snap count which is illegal but he never got flagged. Also, on our last possession Weddington should've been called for having 12 men on the field but the officials allowed them to take a time-out even though our huddle had already been broken. Oh well, it's over now congrats to Weddington. On to the next season for us. Like Ahscougar1 said, this one stings more because those opportunities don't come around every year.
This post was edited on 12/2 1:37 AM by AHSDYNASY

Officials are a necessary evil. They do nothing for me personally, and tend to ruin most games by wanting to be seen , and noticed. I do not know why it is an unwritten rule that we have to respect them just because.

I've never understood it. Some say because they do a service most wouldn't do. So!

It's been as awful as I have ever seen it this year. They slow the games down to a point that they become unwatchable. I get sick of that LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME crap. With that said, what's the alternative? Call your own fouls. That wont work.

I'll say this much, then I'll shut up.

Yes, I'm still pissed about the calls. I'm still not seeing how we had so many more flags than Weddington, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, we lost.
We were dropping passes all night, which killed us. We fumble a handoff and Weddington picks it up and scores, which killed us. If we played a perfect game and one ref screwed us it would be different, but that's not what happened. Truth is, we shot our selves in the foot, missed numerous opportunities, and at times played very undisciplined football. That, combined with the walking nut sack of a ref on our sideline is what killed us.

Posts like this is why Asheville will never get the respect the states top teams get. That pic shows nothing. Congrats to Weddington. You guys deserve to be still playing no matter how much Asheville fans moan and groan.

Originally posted by COUGAR-90:

I'll say this much, then I'll shut up.

Yes, I'm still pissed about the calls. I'm still not seeing how we had so many more flags than Weddington, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, we lost.
We were dropping passes all night, which killed us. We fumble a handoff and Weddington picks it up and scores, which killed us. If we played a perfect game and one ref screwed us it would be different, but that's not what happened. Truth is, we shot our selves in the foot, missed numerous opportunities, and at times played very undisciplined football. That, combined with the walking nut sack of a ref on our sideline is what killed us.
This guy gets it!

I went to this game and thought some of the calls the officials made were good ones. i.e. Aquilla's touchdown being called back. The kid from weddington was pushed in the back right around the fifty yard line. However, if you're telling me that a high school football team went 4 quarters without holding, you're lying... and that is what these officials are telling by the way they called the game. Not complaining, just stating what the officials are saying.

BUT, in the NCHSAA if an official is repremanded for a bad call, a bad no call, or any other type of unproffessional conduct, NO ONE knows about it. There is no press release. Heck, even the head coaches and AD's don't know about it. It would do worlds of good for the officials credibility if there were reported consequences for their judgement. For all we know, when they watch their game film, they look at a bad call and say to themselves, "Well, Joe I missed that one. What game do I have next Friday night?" and they go about their business. One call has the potential to change an entire game and even the direction of a season.

The game means something to these players. And for the coaches it is a job. They are judged off of wins and losses. Should an official not be judged off of both, great and blown calls? There needs to be a change.

I am on the other side of the state and do not typically follow Asheville or other mountain teams. I do read most of the posts on here and they do seem to whine a lot. If you want to be elite you have to win games convincingly.

Until you have witnessed how bad the officiating is in WNC, you have no idea what it is like. I don't know how it is in the far west like Murphy and Swain but in the Buncombe and Henderson county area it is atrocious. While there are a handful of good football officials here, the vast majority are too old, ignorant of rules or just plain don't care about doing a good job. Some are obvious in there bias against certain schools. I know one official pretty well and he has relayed to me that during meetings with other officials they will openly discuss their personal dislike for certain programs and coaches. It is openly discussed about how they will "stick it to them the first chance they get". Until they are held accountable for there performance, it will continue to be status quo. I know of one official in the ACR vs. Erwin playoff game that only has two years experience. How on earth is he qualified to do ANY playoff game unless it is in pee wee football? The officiating in this part of the state borders on lunacy.

sleeper play is 100% legal. it has been ran many times by Charlie Metcalf who is currently an offensive coach at Asheville. We ran it a few times when he was at High Point Andrews and it works every time. one of the best gadget plays ever.

im not an asheville guy, but I can tell you that the officiating here in the Triad was the worst ive seen in years. nobody is perfect, mistakes will be made, we can all agree on that. however, these guys are paid to do a job and should be held accountable for mistakes. when they are reprimanded, it should be public knowledge to AD's and coaches. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by GoNtheDistance:
im not an asheville guy, but I can tell you that the officiating here in the Triad was the worst ive seen in years. nobody is perfect, mistakes will be made, we can all agree on that. however, these guys are paid to do a job and should be held accountable for mistakes. when they are reprimanded, it should be public knowledge to AD's and coaches. Just my opinion.

Keep on preaching! Some are just there to collect a paycheck. Until you hurt them in that department the same garbage will continue to happen. Officials need to be held accountable. It can only help their credibility if people know that they are trying to do the best job that they can and that they are held to a standard. Coaches can be fired for bad judgement and losses. Players can be suspeneded. Why not officials?

Comparing ACC basketball to high school football is comparing apples and oranges, but upon film review if their correct call percentage is below 80% they are let go. Just food for thought.

Was told by an opposing coach that he watched film of Weddington where they had three penalties for the whole game. I have not seen the film so no idea. Some teams just do not get a lot of penalties. That does not mean they are not committing them they may just not get caught.

How about some links to film or video?

The photo tells does not show enough of what happened during the play. Southern Guilford's superstar player was standing in the end zone on the game winning two point conversion in OT but refs had blown his forward progress stopped.

lord knows i'm no asheville fan. i was at the game. asheville got jobbed. same official that called the pass out of bounds called the play at the goal line.

This post was edited on 12/2 5:18 PM by artvandelay

Originally posted by GG4BAMA:

I don't know how it is in the far west like Murphy and Swain but in the Buncombe and Henderson county area it is atrocious.
Live and grew up in Murphy but have lived in Asheville and Kill Devil Hills too and I can tell you that SMC officials are even worse than Buncombe County officials. In general the mountains have the worst officials in the state and it's not even close.

FYI they only called 1 holding penalty all night . The 2nd series of the game against Asheville. They either weren't looking for it or didn't see it

My dad refed for 15 years before giving it up and in that time he did not get playoff game until 5 years and it was a huge deal and an honor.The other refs framed his flack whistle and cap for that game.Also of note he was nowhere near any Burke County team(where we lived) or Avery County (where he grew up) team ,most of the time it was 2 or more counties away,very neutral ground.
I went to Swain/ Avery 2nd round games a few weeks ago and seeing that officiating up there had me speechless and dumbfounded.I was seriously blown away.I always thought that when you got to playoffs the level of officiating went up with each round,I would hate to see a regular season game.Its more than a win lose issue,if its bad enough they really can get someone hurt.

I saw a game in 06 at Swain. They had zero penalties for the whole game. We were speechless!

All these people complaining about the officials. EVERYBODY has been involved in a game at some time where they felt the officiating was bad. As long as scores are kept, that will happen.

I am convinced that no official who works a game goes out there with the intention of helping one team or hurting another. Sometimes calls go heavy to one side...it happens. I saw a basketball game many years ago where the officials nearly got run out of the gym because they called about 30 fouls on one team and about 10 on the other. No one took into consideration that one team was playing aggressive full court man to man defense, and the other was packed back in a 2-1-2 zone. All they wanted to yell about was the foul differential. Football can be the same way at times.

In the 3rd, 4th, and championship rounds, NC sends officials in to work games from a 'neutral' officials association (one that does not work either team during the regular season). They are usually from quite a distance away, and normally have never seen either team.

My two cents worth....and I've said this before on other forums---Here are some points to ponder:
NORTH CAROLINA NEEDS OFFICIALS!! -- Not just in football, but in every sport. They are a dying breed, and unless some people take up the banner and start officiating, the sport could die eventually from lack of officials In some of the large metro areas (NYC, Chicago) school systems are having to stagger their games over Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights because there are not enough officials to go around. In some parts of NC, it's not far from being that way now.Most officials who start quit within a few years because they get tired of the constant criticismThose who are saying how bad the officials are in NC, you are ABSOLUTELY entitled to your opinion. I'm not saying it's invalid. What I am saying is BE PART OF THE SOLUTION.....if you can do better, sign up for the training clinics between now and next June and get out there! If you can help improve the situation, NORTH CAROLINA'S HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS AND COACHES NEED YOU!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT