ADVERTISEMENT

What was the best year your team have

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Just throw in topic while not much is going on. What was the best year did your team have.

Butler 2009.

They beat Richmond who was the defending champs and Mt Tabor for non conference and they finally beat Independence with Tom Knotts twice before he went to South Carolina . Mallard Creek almost beat that same Indy team but they became a force and haven’t looked back since. Although 2009 might not be the best team the significance of beating Indy and sending Knotts to SC was great.

In my lifetime -- Page 2011

After winning 4 titles in 6 years in the early-to-mid 80's, Page didn't see another title until around 25 years later grabbing the 4AA crown when James Summers and Friends ended Butler's reign at the top with huge back to back "upset" wins in the playoffs against Butler and Mallard Creek to win the West Regional. Probably not the best Page team ever, but the significance of besting Charlotte's best 2 weeks in a row was huge for football in the Triad at the time, ending the 19 year 4A championship drought since 1992.

After winning 4 titles in 6 years in the early-to-mid 80's, Page didn't see another title until around 25 years later grabbing the 4AA crown when James Summers and Friends ended Butler's reign at the top with huge back to back "upset" wins in the playoffs against Butler and Mallard Creek to win the West Regional. Probably not the best Page team ever, but the significance of besting Charlotte's best 2 weeks in a row was huge for football in the Triad at the time, ending the 19 year 4A championship drought since 1992.

We do not speak of this team

I remember the 2010 Butler vs Page game in the game playoffs. That was the closest game Butler had since September. I remember thinking “Why can’t Butler put Page away. That game was closer than the final score indicated. 2011 Page being really good wasn’t surprising.

Weddington 2019, undefeated state champs and the defense was just as notable as Will Shipley dominating on offense

Weddington Football (2019) Schedule​

Sat, 8/24
5:00pm
Ardrey Kell
Ardrey KellCharlotte
Home • Non-Conference
W28-14Box Score
Recap
Fri, 8/30
7:30pm
Porter Ridge
Porter RidgeIndian Trail
Away • Non-Conference
W33-19Box Score
Recap
Fri, 9/6
7:00pm
South Mecklenburg
South MecklenburgCharlotte
Away • Non-Conference
W42-0Box Score
Recap
Fri, 9/13
Catawba Ridge
Catawba RidgeFort Mill, SC
Home • Non-Conference
W45-7Box Score
Recap
Fri, 9/27
Sun Valley
Sun ValleyMonroe
Home • Conference
W47-0Box Score
Recap
Fri, 10/4
Charlotte Catholic
Charlotte CatholicCharlotte
Home • Conference
W45-0Box Score
Recap
Fri, 10/11
Piedmont
PiedmontMonroe
Away • Conference
W50-0Box Score
Recap
Fri, 10/18
Parkwood
ParkwoodMonroe
Home • Conference
W45-3Box Score
Recap
Fri, 10/25
Marvin Ridge
Marvin RidgeWaxhaw
Away • Conference
W52-7Box Score
Recap
Fri, 11/1
Monroe
Monroe
Away • Conference
W45-13Box Score
Recap
Fri, 11/8
Cuthbertson
CuthbertsonWaxhaw
Home • Conference
W49-0Box Score
Recap
Fri, 11/15
South Iredell
South IredellStatesville
Home • Playoff
W35-0Box Score
Recap
Fri, 11/22
Parkland
ParklandWinston-Salem
Home • Non-Conference
W56-6Box Score
Recap
Fri, 11/29
Northwest Cabarrus
Northwest CabarrusConcord
Neutral • Playoff
W49-7Box Score
Recap
Fri, 12/6
Watauga
WataugaBoone
Neutral • Playoff
W49-14Box Score
Recap
Sat, 12/14
7:00pm
Lee County
Lee CountySanford
Neutral • Playoff
W34-14Box Score
Recap

I remember the 2010 Butler vs Page game in the game playoffs. That was the closest game Butler had since September. I remember thinking “Why can’t Butler put Page away. That game was closer than the final score indicated. 2011 Page being really good wasn’t surprising.
I'd venture to say you were one of the few people outside Page who knew something was up. Not many out there thought Page had any chance in those 2 ball games. I actually remember quite a few Page fans having some doubts...

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I'd venture to say you were one of the few people outside Page who knew something was up. Not many out there thought Page had any chance in those 2 ball games. I actually remember quite a few Page fans having some doubts...
Butler rolled East Forsyth, Richmond and Chambers (Mallard Creek upset due to MW injury) during the playoffs but Page kept that game relatively close. Butler and Page used to play each other in the regular season. Would love that to happen again

I talked a lot of shiggady before that game on an electric megaphone. I ate crow all the way back home. Everything that could've went wrong, happened. :)

Last edited:
For me: 2013 - Mooresville def. LN 35-31 in the final mins to capture their first conference title since 2003. Crowd and everything was Top Notch and One of the best games I have seen in the series/rivalry of LN.

LN won it in 2014 at LN and that game was just as electric and all.

Im sure some of my other Mooresville guys would say early 2000s and 90s were some of the best time in Mooresville program under coach carter.

In recent memory, it’s 2011 for Mooresville. And there’s no debate.

Went 12-3, 6-1 in the I-meck. that team was loaded with a bunch of animals, especially on defense. Lost a game at Porter Ridge 34-28 in the semi’s.. a game we probably should have won if we had a healthy QB.

I would put that Mooresville team up against any Mooresville team.

In recent memory, it’s 2011 for Mooresville. And there’s no debate.

Went 12-3, 6-1 in the I-meck. that team was loaded with a bunch of animals, especially on defense. Lost a game at Porter Ridge 34-28 in the semi’s.. a game we probably should have won if we had a healthy QB.

I would put that Mooresville team up against any Mooresville team.
That year I believe Mooresville broke West Rowan’s long winning streak.. That year West Rowan still made it to the 3A State Championship game but would end up losing that game

Ours has to be 1999, we beat Richmond at Richmond in the semi finals to stop their 44 game win streak, then went on to win the 4A title when there was no split divisions. Our defense was one of the best I’ve ever seen with 9 shutouts including a very good team from TX down at Disney ESPN WWS. Truly a magical year for that group.

Ours has to be 1999, we beat Richmond at Richmond in the semi finals to stop their 44 game win streak, then went on to win the 4A title when there was no split divisions. Our defense was one of the best I’ve ever seen with 9 shutouts including a very good team from TX down at Disney ESPN WWS. Truly a magical year for that group.

I’m in my 30s as that game still hurts lol. That was a thriller.

It was something about those colors lol. Didn’t Crest have a nationally ranked team in that 1995-1999 range along with Reynolds and Richmond being great. Then Independence started in 2000.

Still two of the best games I've ever seen (and probably will see).

Hoggard went 14-1 in 2006 and lost by 2 at Greenville Rose. Rose went on to beat WC in the 4A finals. Hoggard beat WC emailer in the year 35-21. Then in 2007 Hoggard returned most of their previous years team and ran the table and went 15-0. That Hoggard team had a dominate O line and D line lead by Johnathan Cooper. Many feel they had the best O line in the state, hands down. Hoggard was dominate all year avenging their loss to Rose (48-17) from the previous year and beating a good Hillside team and a red hot SD team with their back up QB before beating Mt Tabor 28-0 in the state finals. Hoggard also beat New Bern that year 39-13. The Bears beat Indy 28-17 to win the 4AA that year. Thats the only year during the split that the 4A and 4AA teams played if I am not mistaken. Hoggard outscored their opponents 564-147. That is the best team Hoggard has fielded in my option. Hoggard went 9-0-1 in 1974. they tied Sanord Central 7-7. Sanford was the defending state champs and lost in the finals in 1974 to Gastonia Ashbrook 13-12. Back then only 1 team in the conference went to the playoffs and Sanford won the coin toss over Hoggard. The 74’ Hoggard team gave up 50 points in 10 games And had 5 shutouts.
1) 2007
2) 1974
3) 2006

Scotland County 2011
Undefeated 4a Champions
5 playoff games with 40,47.28,33,26 margins of victory. Best TEAM ive ever seen play… not beatable ..im very biased..
Porter ridge was in Scot territory down 5 mid 4th , PR turned it over and Scot scored 3 tds in a matter of minutes in the title game …
That was an awesome team. I saw them play a few times that year.

Hoggard went 14-1 in 2006 and lost by 2 at Greenville Rose. Rose went on to beat WC in the 4A finals. Hoggard beat WC emailer in the year 35-21. Then in 2007 Hoggard returned most of their previous years team and ran the table and went 15-0. That Hoggard team had a dominate O line and D line lead by Johnathan Cooper. Many feel they had the best O line in the state, hands down. Hoggard was dominate all year avenging their loss to Rose (48-17) from the previous year and beating a good Hillside team and a red hot SD team with their back up QB before beating Mt Tabor 28-0 in the state finals. Hoggard also beat New Bern that year 39-13. The Bears beat Indy 28-17 to win the 4AA that year. Thats the only year during the split that the 4A and 4AA teams played if I am not mistaken. Hoggard outscored their opponents 564-147. That is the best team Hoggard has fielded in my option. Hoggard went 9-0-1 in 1974. they tied Sanord Central 7-7. Sanford was the defending state champs and lost in the finals in 1974 to Gastonia Ashbrook 13-12. Back then only 1 team in the conference went to the playoffs and Sanford won the coin toss over Hoggard. The 74’ Hoggard team gave up 50 points in 10 games And had 5 shutouts.
1) 2007
2) 1974
3) 2006
I could’ve mentioned 2014 but didn’t want to rub salt in the wounds.

That was an awesome team. I saw them play a few times that year.
Scotland County 2011
Undefeated 4a Champions
5 playoff games with 40,47.28,33,26 margins of victory. Best TEAM ive ever seen play… not beatable ..im very biased..
Porter ridge was in Scot territory down 5 mid 4th , PR turned it over and Scot scored 3 tds in a matter of minutes in the title game …
Gave Richmond the worst a** whipping I’ve ever seen for a Raider team. 2011 Scots were SPECIAL.

1) 2007
2) 1974
3) 2006
I was at that 2007 game. I didn't really know much about Hoggard at the time, but by the time the game was over I definitely knew who they were. I sat on the Tabor side of course and I swear it feels like we filled up the entire MT side. The whole Winston Salem community came out to witness that beating lol.

I was at that 2007 game. I didn't really know much about Hoggard at the time, but by the time the game was over I definitely knew who they were. I sat on the Tabor side of course and I swear it feels like we filled up the entire MT side. The whole Winston Salem community came out to witness that beating lol.
Great atmosphere that game. Tabor fans definitely came out to support their team. I love that stadium. My father in law coached there during the Caldwell era. Lots of fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT