ADVERTISEMENT

What are the top storylines for the 6 Western 1A Conferences?

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
Heading into the opening week of the 2015 season, I thought that I would get a thread started about the Western 1A Conferences, and what are some of the best storylines for each conference.....Here's my take:

YVC
---------
1). Can Any Conference member challenge West Montgomery for the 15' YVC title?

2).Will North Moore challenge for an upper-tier finish in the YVC?

3).How will new coaches at Albemarle,North Stanly, South Stanly and South Davidson impact the YVC?

SPC
--------
1).Will Bessemer City win yet another SPC title, this year?

2).Will Mountain Island Charter be as good as advertised, and will the be big or small 1A, come playoff time?

3).Can either Pine Lake Prep or Community School of Davidson challenge for the SPC title?

NWC
--------
1).Can Walkertown capture the NWC title this year, or will it again, be either Mount Airy or East Surry?

2).What kind of impact will Winston Salem Prep have on the girdiron in their first year in the NWC?

3). Will North Stokes win a conference game this year?

SMC
----------
1).Will either Murphy or Swain County unseat Robbinsville as the new 15' SMC champ?

2).Will Rosman finally beat 1 or more of the Big 3 in the SMC?

3).How will year 2 go for Kent Briggs and his Cherokee Braves?

MVC
--------
1).Will Starmount claim the outright MVC title this year?

2).Will East Wilkes live up to the preseason hype, and finish in the upper-tier of the MVC?

3).Who will finish higher in the standings between Alleghany and Elkin?

WHC
--------
1).Can either Mitchell County or Avery County finish in the top 3 of the WHC?

2).How will Owen do without longtime Coach Kenny Ford on the sidelines?

3).Can Mountain Heritage challenge Pre-Season favorite Hendersonville for the 15' WHC title?

Feel free to answer those questions, and pose your own....Comments are welcomed as usual!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Here's my few cents from my local conferences:

NW:

1. Who knows. The top 3 is a total tossup. MA and East will always say they will win but I think Walkertown has a legitimate shot. Last two years they have had great chances but they blew them in the main event time. I think a lot of that was due to the easy non-con schedule and coaching style. They weren't tested well until actual importance and it bit them. This year they have a lot harder schedule and I think they will benfit. Might not have much wins but they will face quality early in West Forsyth and West Stokes.

East will be usual East but they will be missing their RB and I think that may fire them up. They will be a typical Diamont team. MA will be the ? mark. They are young and down in #'s but they will find a way to get there. Loosing years are rare there.

I think it will come down to who has the ball last in each of the games.

2. Who knows but I see them taking some time to get going. Not much depth and some young players plus tough schedule. They are setting up for the long run. Maybe a few wins this year and go from there. They could be good in a few years.

3. I'd like to say so. Coach Reeves has them going again, they came awfully close last year against Atkins. They really should have won that one but that bad call by the refs cost them it in OT. JV's were actually interesting last year so maybe so. I think they will win at least one or two. South Davidson may be #1.

MVAC:

1. Still early. Ashe has a lot ? marks and Starmount does too.

2. They will have to for the sake of their HC's job. Everything has been building up to this season for them. Last couple of years they play South Stokes well and something happens to de-rail them. They cannot afford that this year. I believe they will do a lot better though, how though I can't answer.

3. That is a toughie. Alleghany won against this Elkin team on JV I believe so that's one in their column. Elkin traditionally has the better athletes but in 2013 Alleghany beat them twice. Elkin lost a ton of athletes so did Alleghany so one has to win out. It will prob come down to coaching overall and both Wood and Sessoms do well. Just may be one of those who gets the ball last deals.

YVC wise I believ WM and Alb will be the class of the conference as usual.

But there will be a three team race for third between a much improved NM team, North Stanly, and possibly EM putting their name in the hat if they can get it together.

1. WM
2. ALB
3. North Stanly

North Moore from what I have heard is looking interesting. Talked to a teacher from there and she said they were having good practices and their head coach is changing things. Hope they keep going up.

North Stanly's a major ? mark.

Reactions: wmhsforsure
Looks to me like the SMC title is Swain's to lose this year....

Either Murphy or Robbinsville could challenge Swain for the SMC title, but with Murphy traveling to Bryson City this year, home field advantage is working heavily against them. If Robbinsville can find some backfield replacements for last year's tandem, returning their whole line with an extra year of experience could favor them.

Rosman is the dark horse. This may be the year that they break the death-grip the Big Three have had on the top spots in the standings for the last decade or so. Whether they can make a run for the title remains to be seen... but stranger things have happened, even without the inevitable injuries and other happenings. If Rosman can keep their key players healthy, they may be in it at the end, and certainly could go deep in the playoffs.

If Swain can find the handle on the ball, they have a good chance to run the table in SMC this year, especially if some of that big sophomore class comes along fast. With a little bit of luck, they might even go unbeaten--though that will require beating Franklin in the Pit, a tall order any year. If they manage to pull that off, look out.

The Braves are on the way up. How far they get this year with a really young squad is questionable, but if they can keep trending positive, they will be a force to be reckoned with over the next few years.

North Stanly returns alot from last years young team they have 8 starters back offense and 7 starters back on defense with a crop of good freshman coming in for the Comets!!

Tigertown@Rick, the YVC has five new head coaches. You forgot to list Ben Hammer @ East Montgomery.

Yeah that's not surprising since I started this thread on the 4A site...lol!

Thanks to the fine staff and administrators on this site, they were able to correct my first mistake, while you corrected my second, and these mistakes probably and most likely will not be my last!

As for Coach Hammer, do you expect him to turn things around at East Montgomery?

Roar Tigers Roar!

I am not expecting anything this season, but next season could be an entirely different matter. If he goes 3-0 to kick off the season, EM will have everyone's attention when YVC play rolls around. I will see EM play tomorrow night at Union Pines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT