ADVERTISEMENT

Western NC devastation

The only football teams that will be playing at least in Buncombe County will be private schools (excluding ACA). They are scheduled to start back on the 14th. They do not have to run buses to pick kids up for school. 80% live on campus. I know Christ School already has water restored just waiting on power to bring all the kids back in.

I posted this on the 1a board. Yesterday in Avery Co some boys from TN that are military helping out in Avery Co came to my church in Roan MTN to get supplies because we are like a central command told me a man was found alive on Elk River stuck in mud yesterday

I principal at one of the high’s schools in Carter Co was telling my wife about man that got washed away in the river in Erwin,TN found alive in Greeneville,TN.

Last edited:
Not surprised... one party has done all they can the past few years to cut spending and refuse to tell ppl. the truth.
"The Shelter and Services Program" (SSP) funding is set by Congress... but NOT from FEMA's disaster relief funds.
And FEMA has pretty much ALWAYS asked for more $$$ when a big one hits.
Of course, right now, NO ONE has enough money for "more" stuff b/c Congress still won't pass a budget and everyone's working with short-term with the same amount of funding as before.

• Haha
Reactions: Downeastsmashmouth
Yet people will still vote for these clowns in office now. Idiots!
I am going to try and explain the process the best I know. I am sure I will get mocked That is fine, but if you take the time to read it then you will be more informed than any MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, or NYPost consumer. I did not hear or read the comments so I may be missing some context, but I believe the article to be misleading. The government was in a race to spend Operation and Maintenance dollars by 30 September which expire. The hurricane went through on 27 September. So, that is bad timing for our friends in WNC. If it had gone through earlier then funding might have been available in what people like to call the "Directors Reserve" and used as aid. Most agencies are starting to receive funds as iCongress passed another continuing resolution to fund the government until December. This was done a few days before the hurricane and the spending for the next few months cannot exceed a certain 2024 signed budget threshold. The good news is funds for FEMA was in the CR. For additional funds, congress will have to vote on it. They should and need to. That is just me speaking. Also to answer the question about two pots of money. Yes and No. Most of the funding appropriated for Ukraine will come out of the Defense budget. Not 100% and the same for FEMA. Most of the appropriated funding (what Congress gives agencies) will go to the DHS and then filter on down for FEMA and Human Assistance Disaster Recovery efforts. If I am wrong someone can fact check me.

The New York post Hahahahahha. Not very reputable.
Congress can always appropriate more money too. This happened during Hugo, Katrina, Sandy, etc. There are people who lost everything from this storm and we have some who are using political talking points. North Carolina is a wonderful state and we need to come up with a North Carolinian solution and not a political solution.

Well private citizens have been doing more than our state has to help people. People like Greg Biffle and Garrett Mitchell have been flying in supplies and flying people out to safety. Hickory airport had a lot of private helicopters that had come in to help. Far away as New York. Kudos to those people. I donated to the cause that Biffle is helping. I can’t think of the name of it right off the top of my head. I’ll look it up. I intend to donate again. I’m also donating to help feed soldiers in Israel. Things that matter to me!

I can’t speak for everyone in Haywood County or the mountains, and Asheville is a different animal because most people there aren’t “mountain” people anymore but I don’t think most private citizens are looking or expecting much from FEMA. A lot of the roads and bridges in our areas are private, even a lot of the roads you don’t think are private. In a city, it’s almost impossible to find a private road/street, in the mountains of WNC they are plentiful. This distinction is huge when it comes to cleanup and dollars allocated. There will be no debris (organic, household, building debris, junked campers) picked up on those roads it must be moved to the nearest public road. These household items will sit on the sides of the roads far longer than you think they are going to. The debris ( metal, cars, home debris, etc) will sit for years in some of these areas if private citizens do not remove it. I’m not bashing the government I’m just saying they are very inefficiently equipped for mountain disasters and most in the mountains just accept this and move forward even though it hurts at times. Biden said they will stay with the mountains until they are back where we were pre-disaster. This is bullcrap politician talk that will not come to fruition whether it be Biden, Harris, or Trump. It makes for a good sound bite but in reality none of them have the power or means to see it through to the end, even if they wanted to. When it is all said and done Government will talk big and perform little simply due to being poorly equipped.

OK after seeing the videos and pictures do we even really need to talk about high school sports?? Do we need to extend the season??? I mean the last thing I heard is something like 200+ people are dead and the ramifications of this storm may take some communities in the MTNS years if ever to rebuild and come back. They are calling this a 1000 year flood, I have no idea where you would even start to get things going again up there. Sad sad situation for those communities

Reactions: beamer24
OK after seeing the videos and pictures do we even really need to talk about high school sports?? Do we need to extend the season??? I mean the last thing I heard is something like 200+ people are dead and the ramifications of this storm may take some communities in the MTNS years if ever to rebuild and come back. They are calling this a 1000 year flood, I have no idea where you would even start to get things going again up there. Sad sad situation for those communities
This clip is wild. I know about every road and hollar in Avery Co from riding around in a brown truck for a long time.

• Sad
Reactions: beamer24
National media barely gave adequate coverage and appears to have moved on in my opinion. I check both the NY Post and Jeff Bezo's WAPO everyday. It is just what I do. You have to know where to look to find any new stories on their pages. As many of you have said the people there are on their own supported by other people. I guess WNC is not as sexy as New Orleans to the MSM.

National media barely gave adequate coverage and appears to have moved on in my opinion. I check both the NY Post and Jeff Bezo's WAPO everyday. It is just what I do. You have to know where to look to find any new stories on their pages. As many of you have said the people there are on their own supported by other people. I guess WNC is not as sexy as New Orleans to the MSM.
If you have Twitter you can search Avery Co and see a lot stuff. You can also search other counties in the MTNs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT