ADVERTISEMENT

Wautauga Status and Remaining Schedule

Straight Scope

May 7, 2002
Before the storms Wautauga had a perfect record and was likely in line for a high playoff seed. According to MaxPreps their (revised I assume) remaining schedule is as follows:

10/18 @ Alexander Central
10/25 vs Hibriten
11/1 @ Ashe County
11/1 vs Freedom
11/5 @ Ashe County
11/8 @ South Caldwell

The first two games seem reasonable, if playing conditions will allow them to play, but the last four seem impossible, to nearly impossible. It shows 4 games between 11/1 and 11/8, and 2 games on 11/1.

For the record, Wautauga seems like a great school, and I hope they can make the playoffs, and I would hate to see them knocked out by a natural disaster. The question is, is it possible?

Crazy after thought, but could you merge the varsity and JV and divide them into 2 teams that you thought gave you the best chance to play and win 2 varsity games on the same day?

Last edited:
Well Ashe County is listed twice as the schools in Watauga’s conference should only have 5 games remaining… Since Watauga and Ashe are the only 2 out of the 6 not playing tonight I would assume that they will play on 11/5 and Watauga will face Freedom on 11/1 while Ashe plays South Caldwell.. The state also reduces the time in between games to 72 hours so Friday/Tue/Fri should be attainable or worst case the last game might have to be moved to 11/9

Well Ashe County is listed twice as the schools in Watauga’s conference should only have 5 games remaining… Since Watauga and Ashe are the only 2 out of the 6 not playing tonight I would assume that they will play on 11/5 and Watauga will face Freedom on 11/1 while Ashe plays South Caldwell.. The state also reduces the time in between games to 72 hours so Friday/Tue/Fri should be attainable or worst case the last game might have to be moved to 11/9
I noticed the 2 games with Ashe County, and thought it was strange, but I have known of 2 teams in the same conference playing 2 times in the regular season, but it was a long time ago, and probably has less than zero chance of happening now. That's a reminder not to look for infinate details on MaxPreps. I'll give them a break and say what they try to do is impossible without making errors.

The main thing is by cutting out a game you gave Watauga a path to the playoffs, and that's what I was really curious about.

Before the storms Wautauga had a perfect record and was likely in line for a high playoff seed. According to MaxPreps their (revised I assume) remaining schedule is as follows:

10/18 @ Alexander Central
10/25 vs Hibriten
11/1 @ Ashe County
11/1 vs Freedom
11/5 @ Ashe County
11/8 @ South Caldwell

The first two games seem reasonable, if playing conditions will allow them to play, but the last four seem impossible, to nearly impossible. It shows 4 games between 11/1 and 11/8, and 2 games on 11/1.

For the record, Wautauga seems like a great school, and I hope they can make the playoffs, and I would hate to see them knocked out by a natural disaster. The question is, is it possible?

Crazy after thought, but could you merge the varsity and JV and divide them into 2 teams that you thought gave you the best chance to play and win 2 varsity games on the same day?

No

You can only field 1 varsity team and there must be 3 days between games.

Reactions: Straight Scope
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT