ADVERTISEMENT

Venue thoughts

I don’t hear complaining in NC either except for this one butthurt Avery fan
There's been complaining in nc for as long as I can remember. Because they don't know what they are doing. No consistency like Tennessee, some different stupid playoff format every year.

Look I think you will win by 20 plus. But you can't deny that the western teams are better.
Murphy and Avery are two of the best teams in the past 3 years to never play for a championship. Also, the Mitchell team in the late 90's would be another team that comes to mind.

Murphy and Avery are two of the best teams in the past 3 years to never play for a championship. Also, the Mitchell team in the late 90's would be another team that comes to mind.
Yes the west is better but like I said to win the title you would still have to play the team that beat you in the west or a team that beat them either way you don’t get a title what’s the problem

Yes the west is better but like I said to win the title you would still have to play the team that beat you in the west or a team that beat them either way you don’t get a title what’s the problem
Yea that I get. Just to play in a title game in general. Be in the atmosphere. Even if you were a great team and lost. You could say you played best team.

Yea that I get. Just to play in a title game in general. Be in the atmosphere. Even if you were a great team and lost. You could say you played best team.
I understand that, but from my standpoint if you don’t win it all it don’t matter when you go out

I understand that, but from my standpoint if you don’t win it all it don’t matter when you go out
I get that. The nw1a is awesome. But from a school like Avery that has never been to a state championship game, it would be a crowning achievement.

Pamlico is by no means a great team. I have seen them play twice. The talent on the western teams is way better. You just benefit from the weak eastern teams. You don't have anything to brag about. You get blowed out in big game. Saturday will not be any different!!

Hey sport, my kids all played forBishop..lol

Been a while since I’d been to LR. Didn’t realize I’d be sitting on wooden bleachers where if you let something slip between the seats it was gone! The lower level was better of course but since I was there just to watch, with my team not playing, I didn’t drop down. There has to be a better place to play. There has to be! There’s too many venues in Charlotte not to make this s better experience! I thought I was in the Hoosiers movie!

Two locations to think about and should be an option is UNCC, Queens, Even Hornets Arena would be great. I like LR....it has a tremendous atmosphere and history to it. Not sure about CVCC with the horseshoe feel where fans are on top of each other.....But UNCC, Queens or Hornets would be ideal. The annex in Winston is a terrible basketball venue...too open and it is COLD! I think Wake is a terrible venue as well....Having it in Hickory/Charlotte is a central location for everyone....

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Two locations to think about and should be an option is UNCC, Queens, Even Hornets Arena would be great. I like LR....it has a tremendous atmosphere and history to it. Not sure about CVCC with the horseshoe feel where fans are on top of each other.....But UNCC, Queens or Hornets would be ideal. The annex in Winston is a terrible basketball venue...too open and it is COLD! I think Wake is a terrible venue as well....Having it in Hickory/Charlotte is a central location for everyone....
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want an environment with more energy, that is packed, then the LR set up was good. If you want more convenience, better parking, then something like the LJVM or LJVM Annex is better. I love the High Point idea and the Charlotte idea. LR can work if they would spread it out more - you'd need to do 1 on Friday and 3 on Saturday (spread out times more). Of course, that'd require more work by the NCHSAA which is unlikely to happen.

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want an environment with more energy, that is packed, then the LR set up was good. If you want more convenience, better parking, then something like the LJVM or LJVM Annex is better. I love the High Point idea and the Charlotte idea. LR can work if they would spread it out more - you'd need to do 1 on Friday and 3 on Saturday (spread out times more). Of course, that'd require more work by the NCHSAA which is unlikely to happen.
Yea don't confuse them no more than they already are, we are lucky to have playoffs lol.

Spectrum Center is probably an expensive rent, even if the team does not charge much, due to the security personnel requirements. Also, parking will cost $10 and up. Pink was in concert Saturday and was booked most of the week.

Queens is not very big and parking would be tight.

Remember, a lot of universities are not very excited to host. They see it as a disruption to normal student life with many facilities having classroom space and fitness facilities there.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I like the High Point suggestion myself. Plus spread the games out over two days. If I remember correctly back in the early 2000s they had the final 4 teams all played in Hickory over a two day period. They played semis one day and then 3rd place and championship game the next. Was a great atmosphere for two days. Not sure where the east played

I like the High Point suggestion myself. Plus spread the games out over two days. If I remember correctly back in the early 2000s they had the final 4 teams all played in Hickory over a two day period. They played semis one day and then 3rd place and championship game the next. Was a great atmosphere for two days. Not sure where the east played

It was more than two days for all teams to get their games in or three or four gyms were used. At one time Hickory HS and East Burke were also used.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
The complaint for playing two games at a regional site was the amount of travel, potential missed school time, and two neighboring schools playing possibly well over 100 miles from home. Example this year is 4A boys where one team squeaked in keeping it from being four Meck teams in the regional final four. Imagine sending four Charlotte teams to Asheville, a site someone suggested, for two games. Think about the schools west of Asheville coming to Forsyth and Guilford for two games. These are some of the reasons why the regional site was dropped to the final only.

The last year of the Final Eight was 1980. I remember 4A was done a bit different than the other classifications regarding who they played to move to the Final Eight as it was arranged more like the seeding now. The other classes played through sectionals and often it was a repeat of a conference tournament and a neighboring conference which often knocked out one of the best teams in the sectional finals which is what we do not want. I like the current seeding much better than having two super teams play in round three. Perfect example of the non sectional working well with the Final Eight the two Gastonia schools in the 1977 title game with Hunter Huss beating Ashbrook 60-59. Ashbrook had won the previous games (either three or four) but Sleepy Floyd's team beat the underclassman James Worthy led Green Wave. In 1979 Page defeated Grimsley in an all Greensboro final. A few years before moving to the Coliseum the 4A title games were played at Grimsley.

The state tournaments were played at the following venues.

Boys
4A NC A&T. Had been at Greensboro Coliseum previous years. May have been moved due to ACC Tourney.
3A Durham High. In 1979 the title game was moved to Carmichael due to Dominique Wilkins generated gate.
2A RJ Reynolds High.
1A Garner High. I think 1A was a four team final tournament and not eight.

Girls
4A Fayetteville Westover High.
3A Hickory High.
2A Union Pines.
1A Garner. Played at same site as boys due to four teams in 1A tournament.

In 1981 the boys would move to the Greensboro Coliseum for the single title games while the girls played at Elon College. In 1986 the boys moved to the Smith Center. In 1987 the girls moved to Carmichael.

The biggest Challenge with on campus games during this time is the college spring sports are in full swing and take up a lot of space with parking, etc. ideally you’d like to find an off campus arena to host these things. It’s tough geographically to find something in the middle, both west and east. LJVM is a great facility with great parking for this type of thing but is more central in the state. Minges is great for the East I think.

I’m also not a fan of hosting any regionals at annex facilities. you could also host 1A-4A west regionals at different sites. 1A boys and girls at App State. 2A at LR. 3A at Gboro Coliseum and 4A at UNC Charlotte. Book the facilities for 4 years and rotate classes
Each year. Not sure those are the best sites but just examples as it helps to avoid the cluster that we saw at LR with too many games in 1 day, fans waiting outside for hours until games are over, etc.

Reactions: Champ_24
I’m also not a fan of hosting any regionals at annex facilities. you could also host 1A-4A west regionals at different sites. 1A boys and girls at App State. 2A at LR. 3A at Gboro Coliseum and 4A at UNC Charlotte. Book the facilities for 4 years and rotate classes
Each year. Not sure those are the best sites but just examples as it helps to avoid the cluster that we saw at LR with too many games in 1 day, fans waiting outside for hours until games are over, etc.

My understanding the plan to go to Hickory started later than preferred.

I think LR is a good geographical point and a good size for one off game. A one off is games that start at the 2.5 or 3 hour marks not the 2 hour mark. I think they will need to look at going to at least one game on Friday. My recommendation would be the two schools located nearest the site.

Is the second facility in Hickory sufficient?

I know that some schools have told the NCHSAA that they cannot commit for more than one year at a time. They have also been told that other school and athletic activities will not be moved or altered even if the NCHSAA has already been contracted. The high schools would get the facility but other activities would take place. That was the issue at LR to a large extent Saturday. Softball doubleheader, lacrosse, spring football, and athletic complex dedication ceremony. Was also told a large wedding took place on campus.

Find an area that is suitable. Find the needed sites. Are they large enough? Do they have the dressing facilities? Do they have the needed parking? Will the area have multiple other events taking place at the same time? Do the rent and other cost work? There are a lot of moving parts.

Charlotte has four gyms that would work if the facilities were onboard with hosting and the other details worked. Queens, Davidson, UNCC, and Bojangles.

Tell the NCHSAA to build a grand athletic facility in Star, NC and that will solve everyone's problem lol.

NCHSAA is outdated, need some fresh energy in different areas with new innovative ideads and people who think outside the box.

Although I agree to a point on some issues NC is viewed as a prototype that many states look to when setting regulations.

What are some of items that you think should be changed?

Although I agree to a point on some issues NC is viewed as a prototype that many states look to when setting regulations.

What are some of items that you think should be changed?

Allow recruiting services to obtain media credentials as they benefit the student-athletes.

Stop messing up playoff brackets in big sports every year only to pull them down multiple times most seasons (SC never has that issue)

More organization with championship events, etc.

Allow recruiting services to obtain media credentials as they benefit the student-athletes.

Stop messing up playoff brackets in big sports every year only to pull them down multiple times most seasons (SC never has that issue)

More organization with championship events, etc.
Neither does Tennessee. Best teams play in best games regardless of conference strength.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT