ADVERTISEMENT

True Dynasty

BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
Got a question for ya (yall)... in your opinion, and feel free to write as much as possible here and don't hold back, when you saw ND and Lexington and Tville in 68 75 76 84 and 02 and the state title game a few years ago...

What is your opinion on Davidson County football and how can they get better as a county like Cleveland when it comes to athletics? Tville and Lex were once Powers and arguably bluebloods which Tville still is but not the same for young people like Nebraska in the 90s. Lexington is a joke. However the two schools have about 15 titles between them if you include WNCHSAA and NCSCA (?) titles.

ND won state (region) in 66 and tied with Shelby in 75. They lost to Independence in 01 in the last year before subdivision and were one bad quarter from State in 12. They consistently have size but not always speed especially on a team level. Same for OG as the makeup is pretty identical with few differences.

Ledford beat Kings Mt one year but otherwise has never been a deep threat in the playoffs. They are fundamentally sound but lack pure athletes as a whole squad.

CD WD and ED are all the same. Size on the line and slow on the perimeter. Central usually has the better athletes and is the largest school.

SD has always been a joke but has high hopes for the future based on last years success. They have never won a playoff game and have only one winning season as Denton High in the 70s.

What say you my friend?

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
One team I find truly fascinating is 1976 Lexington. They only gave up 4 points a game with 9 shutouts including 7 in a row but were blitzed by Shelby 25-0. Did they have alot of turnovers? I know some old Lexington hats last year told me their running back got hurt in practice that week but don't know how much that plays in a 25 point game...

ND only lost two games that year after tying Shelby and got shut out by Lexington twice 14-0 and 10-0. Otherwise they averaged 32 points a game with a junior Perry Tuttle and only gave up 7 lol.

Thomasville only lost to Lexington I believe but could only muster 7 points in two games.

Obviously Shelby had a legendary defense. But I'll let you speak for your team's perspective on that...

I respect your knowledge so wanted your insight.

Last edited:
Thomasville’s biggest challenge has been numbers. In the last few years of Allen Brown’s tenure, they had some pretty good teams, but played a tough non-conference schedule. They’d have a losing record in non-conference, then mop up in their conference. Gave away one championship to Salisbury with the infamous Dickie Cline “take a knee” game. Gave away another to Salisbury when the chain crew failed to change the down marker and the QB spiked it on fourth down on Salisbury’s two yard line. Won some others.

Took a few years to get Doug Robertson and Kevin Gillespie as coaches. Much better, but still struggle with numbers. Thomasville’s strength for decades was two platooning with quality players. Hard to do that when you dress out 29. Some of the lack of numbers has been expected. Thomasville was spoiled and some kids didn’t play because they weren’t virtually guaranteed a winner every year. Winning breeds success. Some was academic or behavior casualties. As much as I respect Coach Brown, those increased when he was no longer in the building every day.

I get amused when fans or observers think a 11-2 or 9-3 season is a failure. Certainly, the Shelby’s, Reidsville’s of the world seem to be able to sustain excellence for a long time. Kudos to them. But last I checked, Thomasville was still number six in the state in wins, even with the first four decades of their history being dismal. I’ll take it.

Well the thing is i went through the Lexington yearbook and they didn't have any big linemen from what i saw. Most were barely 200 if that. So the nine shutouts were crazy to me.

Thomasville used to get 100 plus kids out for football as a 1A school. With 300-350 boys it's a big plus when a quarter or more go out for football.

Well the thing is i went through the Lexington yearbook and they didn't have any big linemen from what i saw. Most were barely 200 if that. So the nine shutouts were crazy to me.
That was standard back then. In the 1986 4A state title game between West Charlotte and Garner there were probably less than twenty players on the two rosters combined that weighed over 200 lbs. I used to know the exact number.

Where was Mister tango at in 1976?
My neighbor was a WW2 Marine. Hardly slept. Sports fanatic. He watched bowling, tennis, golf, whatever was on Wide World of Sports, and any thing that score was kept. Double A baseball, American Legion, ABA, minor league hockey, college football, basketball, and baseball were all attended multiple times per year. High school sporting events were like dinner, just part of the daily routine.

That was standard back then. In the 1986 4A state title game between West Charlotte and Garner there were probably less than twenty players on the two rosters combined that weighed over 200 lbs. I used to know the exact number.
I agree. Allen Jay in 1970 was huge on the line for a 2A (more like 1A) school. They were 230, 180, 170, 200, and 240 from left to right. Add in a 170 and 225 double tight end set with both at 6 foot 3.

So I guess I expected a 3A size school like Lexington to be comparable in 76.

Davidson County has to diversify their coaching staffs and Head coaches before they could ever become a football county. Too many qualified BLACK candidates being turned away. Other black players and families see this and move their sons outside the county.

I seem to recall that he mentioned that he attended Thomasville High School games as a young man. Probably why he’s so knowledgeable😂
Thomasville was ballin haha. Biggest reason i went was to study the offensive line and defense. And that website is amazing!

Thomasville 64 88 91 95 04 05 06 08

Lexington (and Dunbar) 33 34 40 54 56 58 59 63 67 85 86

ND 66 75

Biggest What If in ND history is The Legend Don Palmer (Palmer Field) not coaching a senior Perry Tuttle in 77 and handing it off to Steve Hinkle.

Don Palmer took ND to four consecutive 2A Region Titles from 63-66 and finally won in 66 before moving up to 3A WNCHSAA in 67 and won the NPC but ran into the Lexington Buzzsaw twice (best team in Lexington history imo). The 75 team tied Shelby for the Title and in 76 as mentioned previously only lost to Lexington twice (again).

Coach Hinkle had a good first year only losing to Lexington and North Rowan while beating Tville in the schools first ever meeting. (Tville would dominate until 91 and again until the 2010s) He was a decent coach but never made the playoffs or won conference. He was my assistant principal in the 2000s and until the new century held every receiving record in ND history from the early 60s. Still holds quite a few I believe...

Last edited:
Best What If Championship Games in NC History...

4A

65 Durham vs Myers Park
66 Broughton vs South Meck
02 AC Reynolds vs Indy
03-06 Indy vs Rose
07 Hoggard vs New Bern
08 71st vs Richmond
09 AC Reynolds vs Butler
10 Durham Hillside vs Butler
11 Scotland vs Page
12 New Bern vs Butler
13 Dudley vs Mallard Creek
14 New Bern vs Mallard Creek
15 Catholic vs Mallard Creek
16 Dudley vs Wake Forest
17 Harding vs Wake Forest
18 East Forsyth vs Wake Forest
19 East Forsyth vs Chambers
20(21) Grimsley vs Chambers

3A

NCHSAA and WNCHSAA

61 Greenville vs Canton or Mooresville
62 Rockingham vs Brevard or Wilkes Central
63 Rockingham vs Reidsville or Asheboro
64 Rockingham vs Waynesville or Thomasville
65 Tarboro vs Graham or Asheboro
66 Sanford vs Pisgah or Hickory
67 Sanford vs Elkin or Lexington
68 Sanford vs Mt Airy or Shelby
69 Northeastern vs Reidsville or East Rowan
70 71st vs Reidsville or Shelby
71 Havelock vs Pisgah or Salisbury
72 Sanford vs Shelby
73 Rasdale vs Salisbury
74 Ragsdale vs Salisbury
75 Pisgah vs Shelby/North Davidson
76 Pisgah vs Shelby

02 Carver vs Ashbrook
03 Crest vs South Point
04 Crest vs Concord
05 Asheville vs Catholic
06 Concord vs Eastern Randolph
07 Western Alamance vs Dudley
08 West Rowan vs Dudley
09 West Rowan vs South Point
10 West Rowan vs Northern Guilford
11 Havelock vs Northern Guilford
12 Havelock vs Northern Guilford
13 Havelock vs Southern Durham
14 Crest vs Northern Guilford
15 Crest vs Rocky Mount
16 South Point vs Weddington
17 Catholic vs New Hanover
18 Catholic cs Weddington
19 Catholic vs Weddington
20(21) Catholic vs Mt Tabor

Last edited:
Best What If Championship Games in NC History...

4A

65 Durham vs Myers Park
66 Broughton vs South Meck
02 AC Reynolds vs Indy
03-06 Indy vs Rose
07 Hoggard vs New Bern
08 71st vs Richmond
09 AC Reynolds vs Butler
10 Durham Hillside vs Butler
11 Scotland vs Page
12 New Bern vs Butler
13 Dudley vs Mallard Creek
14 New Bern vs Mallard Creek
15 Catholic vs Mallard Creek
16 Dudley vs Wake Forest
17 Harding vs Wake Forest
18 East Forsyth vs Wake Forest
19 East Forsyth vs Chambers
20(21) Grimsley vs Chambers
A few of those games would have been interesting some may have gotten out of hand.

Off top of my head a few of those teams had some common opponents or did play one another.

2003 Indy beat New Bern 54-7. New Bern beat 4A champ Rose in the final regular season game by less than a TD.

2007 New Bern lost to Hoggard first game of the year by 26. They also lost to Richmond which was beaten by West Charlotte who nearly beat Indy in the regional final.

2008 Richmond was decimated during the season with injuries and a change in the O (that was a big reason for their future success). They beat 71st in the season but were blown out by small 4A runnerup Byrd. Richmond also lost to 3A champ Dudley by five points the week after the Raiders tied New Bern in the season opener.

2A

61 Ahoskie/Hanes/Appalachian/Glen Alpine
62 Elizabethtown vs Jamestown or Appalachian
63 Hertford (Ahoskie?) or Elizabethtown vs Sylva-Webster or Mt Holly
64 Edenton or Elizabethtown vs Mt Pleasant or Appalachian
65 Edenton/Whiteville/Surry Central/Siler City/Sylva-Webster
66 Ahoskie or Stedman vs North Davidson or Sylva-Webster
67 Edenton/Southern Wayne vs Mt Holly
68 Rohanen (Rockingham) vs Hendersonville
69 Edenton vs Hendersonville
70 Ahoskie vs Murphy
71 Gates County vs Maiden

02 Cummings vs Reidsville
03 Southwest Onslow vs Reidsville
04 Southwest Onslow vs Catholic
05 Clinton vs Shelby
06 Cummings vs Shelby
07 Lincolnton vs Reidsville
08 Newton Conover vs Reidsville
09 Tarboro vs Reidsville
10 Tarboro vs Salisbury
11 Tarboro vs West Stokes
12 East Lincoln vs South Iredell
13 Andrews vs Shelby
14 East Lincoln vs Shelby
15 Shelby vs Monroe
16 Reidsville vs Shelby
17 Wallace Rose Hill vs Hibriten
18 Shelby vs Reidsville
19 Shelby vs Reidsville
20(21) Salisbury vs Reidsville

Last edited:
Davidson County ADMs per DCS website

Oak Grove 961
Central 922
North 918
Ledford 889
East 803
West 725
South 370

Tville at 620 some i believe and Lexington 900 some

1A

61 Windsor or Rockingham Rohanen vs High Point (not Gboro) Allen Jay or Glen Alpine
62 Windsor or James Kenan vs Sumner/East Surry or Glen Alpine
63 Murfeesboro vs Weldon or East Surry
64 Farmville or Aberdeen vs Glen Alpine or Andrews
65 Ayden or Littlefield vs Robbinsville or Glen Alpine
66 Ayden vs Liberty or Andrews
67 Ayden vs Andrews

01 Albemarle vs Swain
02 Albemarle vs Elkin
03 Albemarle vs Elkin
04 Thomasville vs Swain
05 Thomasville vs Elkin
06 Thomasville vs Elkin
07 James Kenan vs Plymouth
08 Thomasville vs Mt Airy
09 Albemarle vs Wallace Rose Hill
10 Albemarle vs Wallace Rose Hill
11 Murphy vs Swain
12 Plymouth vs Southwest Onslow
13 Murphy vs James Kenan
14 Robbinsville vs Wallace Rose Hill
15 Plymouth vs Wallace Rose Hill
16 Murphy vs Wallace Rose Hill
17 Cherokee vs Tarboro
18 Murphy vs Tarboro
19 Robbinsville vs East Surry
20 Murphy vs Tarboro

Last edited:
2A

70 Ahoskie vs Murphy

05 Clinton vs Shelby
06 Cummings vs Shelby
09 Tarboro vs Reidsville
10 Tarboro vs Salisbury
13 Andrews vs Shelby
15 Shelby vs Monroe
16 Reidsville vs Shelby
18 Shelby vs Reidsville
19 Shelby vs Reidsville
Believe it or not…I talked with a feller that played on that ‘71 Maiden team at Maidens last baseball game about your post. He said go on and gather them Gates county boys up and they would play them….as long as a hospital was near by. 😂

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Believe it or not…I talked with a feller that played on that ‘71 Maiden team at Maidens last baseball game about your post. He said go on and gather them Gates county boys up and they would play them….as long as a hospital was near by. 😂
I believe it! 🤣🤣🤣

Davidson County ADMs per DCS website

Oak Grove 961
Central 922
North 918
Ledford 889
East 803
West 725
South 370

Tville at 620 some i believe and Lexington 900 some
With Lexington I am sure it has a high percentage of free and reduced lunch and lack of winning, the formula they used last realignment push them down to 2A, since they have over 900 students?

2A

70 Ahoskie vs Murphy

05 Clinton vs Shelby
06 Cummings vs Shelby
09 Tarboro vs Reidsville
10 Tarboro vs Salisbury
13 Andrews vs Shelby
15 Shelby vs Monroe
16 Reidsville vs Shelby
18 Shelby vs Reidsville
19 Shelby vs Reidsville
no need to speculate about 2002 game with Cummings vs. Reidsville.....they were in the same conference that year and Reidsville won the game 31-30....................

no need to speculate about 2002 game with Cummings vs. Reidsville.....they were in the same conference that year and Reidsville won the game 31-30....................
So a close game that deserved a championship rematch then haha

Reactions: rambbq
Many of these teams played each other or had common opponents. However over the years common opponents has meant less and less to me because matchups and rivalries factor into the equation. Also when teams play twice it sometimes goes the same way but i have more often experienced two completely different ballgames.

Last edited:
With Lexington I am sure it has a high percentage of free and reduced lunch and lack of winning, the formula they used last realignment push them down to 2A, since they have over 900
Over 90% of the students at Lexington Senior High qualify for free or reduced lunch.

Many of these teams played each other or had common opponents. However over the years common opponents has meant less and less to me because matchups and rivalries factor into the equation. Also when teams play twice it sometimes goes the same way but i have more often experienced two completely different ballgames.
to back up what you posted about games going different in the same year...Reidsville had won 2AA titles in 2002 and 2003 and seemed headed for a possible 3 peat when they got to the regional finals vs. Western Alamance.....earlier in the year, Reidsville had defeated WA 51-6....in the regional finals that same duo hooked to go to state finals and Western Alamance pulled the surprise upset on Reidsville's home field 16-14 to deny the Rams..................Never assume anything in sports.........................

to back up what you posted about games going different in the same year...Reidsville had won 2AA titles in 2002 and 2003 and seemed headed for a possible 3 peat when they got to the regional finals vs. Western Alamance.....earlier in the year, Reidsville had defeated WA 51-6....in the regional finals that same duo hooked to go to state finals and Western Alamance pulled the surprise upset on Reidsville's home field 16-14 to deny the Rams..................Never assume anything in sports.........................
North Davidson smoked Davie County in 2010. Then had to turn around and play them a week later in the pod-based area playoff format. It was the exact opposite as a close game turned into a fourth quarter blowout the other way for the war chickens...

Reactions: btango
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT