ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 mens basketball in 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Just for fun debate. List who you think would be top 5 all time for each classification in basketball for 1A-4A just for the guys. This should get interesting. This can go back from start of time until now.
So you can list top 5 4A of all time. Top 5 3A of all time, Top 5 2A of all time, Top 5 1A of all time

Last edited:
This may not be a good topic. Probably to hard to say. But let say who would you say would have been the best team of all time for each class instead of who the top 5 is.

Last edited:
In 3A Central Cabarrus comes to mind but I remember back earlier in 2007 Concord I think had a team that won the 3A. They could score the points. West Rowan back in the days had Scooter Sherrill. West Rowan won 3A State in ”02 and “03 Would that team matchup with these teams of today. Also you had West Charlotte of couple years ago that beat Central Cabarrus in the 3A State. But Central Cabarrus was a younger team then. Then of course Hickory lost a close one to CC could be right up there at top. Hard to say. I’m sure lot teams from way back could be In the conversation.

Last edited:
The 1998 Patriots had three starters that would play D1 college hoops. They beat Oak Hill and their only loss was in an out of state tournament (I think in Georgia) on their way to the 4A championship.
Mims and Largent are 2 names I remember. The guy that transferred to East Burke was unbelievable too. I remember watching the regionals at LR as a kid that year.

1993 - Eden Morehead - 3A. Back to back state champs. 5 in, 5 out full court press. Just 32 minutes of hell for the competition.
odd thing about those Morehead teams is the fact that Reidsville beat them more than the Morehead did to Reidsville...............................but that being said they were very, very good..................

That conference in 1992 was stacked. Northwest Guilford had Rusty LaRue along with Reidsville. There were 3 legitimate state contenders during this time period. Like previously stated, with Reidsville winning the state in 1994 after Morehead's back to back.

Mims and Largent are 2 names I remember. The guy that transferred to East Burke was unbelievable too. I remember watching the regionals at LR as a kid that year.
Dennis Mims went to Va. Tech, then transferred to a smaller school and played professionally in Turkey, where he still lives. Cory Largent (current Patriot assistant) went to WCU with Casey Rogers, son of Terry Rogers-both state championship winners as the head coach at Freedom.
Casey works in admin at the county level now.

That conference in 1992 was stacked. Northwest Guilford had Rusty LaRue along with Reidsville. There were 3 legitimate state contenders during this time period. Like previously stated, with Reidsville winning the state in 1994 after Morehead's back to back.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rusty LaRue for Dairi-O.

Was Rj Reynolds good in the early 2000s? I remember my uncle taking me and my brothers to watch them twice

I’m not old but I remember as a kid Bandys High School boys and girls in the early 80’s winning multiple state championship games. Vernon Odem, who played at VT, was a monster of a player. Shot 3’s when no 3pt line. Stanley Daniel, Adrian Conner, Mark Ikames. Also the girls never lost even into early 90’s. Girls names like Beverly Greenard, Janet Deal, Beth Laney, Mitzi Yount all played D1. Great basketball played during those days.

Pisgah’s 2005 team was pretty stout in 2A. As far as team chemistry, they meshed together excellently. Oddly enough, during this same time frame I think Brevard had a squad that was close, if not state championship worthy, but they were stuck in the same conference as Pisgah’s generational team and couldn’t win their own conference.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rusty LaRue for Dairi-O.
Dairi-o started in king many years ago small building with to go orders no seating. It was owned by Mr Shouse who sold it to Jeff Speaks. He tore that building down and built the first modern Dairio in king. He hired Rusty LaRue as operations manager as he expanded

Last edited:
wish they had a Dairi-o in Reidsville......Asheboro and Kernersville have one as well as Winston...Didn't until know until recently that it started in King.............good operation.................

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Kinston had a run of State Championship wins in 2A from 2012-2015.
Vik-Val, I am so sorry I did not get your message about where you were seated for the Lake Norman - North Meck game until after the game.

So, I would like to invite you to meet up with several of us at the April 13 Lenoir Rhyne Spring Game at noon.
There will be a tailgating after the game with the new coaching staff, team, and Bear Club members and there guess.

I believe "amaidendeveil" , BuzzCoach, my brother-in-law and maybe my grandson among others will be in attendance.
Love to have you if you can join us.
Richard Whitley

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Vik-Val, I am so sorry I did not get your message about where you were seated for the Lake Norman - North Meck game until after the game.

So, I would like to invite you to meet up with several of us at the April 13 Lenoir Rhyne Spring Game at noon.
There will be a tailgating after the game with the new coaching staff, team, and Bear Club members and there guess.

I believe "amaidendeveil" , BuzzCoach, my brother-in-law and maybe my grandson among others will be in attendance.
Love to have you if you can join us.
Richard Whitley
No problem. I would love to meet up for that day but I will be out town. Thank you for the invite. I will make sure to try and meet up whenever an up coming event happens. I also definitely going to arrange a Friday to come and see Mt Airy play. But I will make sure to meet up with you sometime in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT