ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Head Coaches

What’s the head to head between east Surry and the bears Friday night? I know you know your stats.

Who knows. I like MA right now. Might be some underlying tension in Pilot Mountain right now but come November it should be mostly resolved.

Reactions: gdawg74
But the topic is talent on the teams , winning and losing isn’t a judge of talent. I’m saying east Surry has as much talent as ma has every year. You have to take in account of what the players are doing all the way thru. What makes a difference say from 9th and 10th grade to 11th and 12th grade? I think it’s the position coaches and how they are able to bring what they receive to the next level. Jmho

Reactions: The Lake Man
Should be a hell of a game in the granite city come November, gonna be pretty cool seeing how both coaches adjust to such a big time rivalry and atmosphere

But the topic is talent on the teams , winning and losing isn’t a judge of talent. I’m saying east Surry has as much talent as ma has every year. You have to take in account of what the players are doing all the way thru. What makes a difference say from 9th and 10th grade to 11th and 12th grade? I think it’s the position coaches and how they are able to bring what they receive to the next level. Jmho

There are other variables. Some MA grads will make sure their kid attends MA. I also wonder if MA benefits from more net transfers come high schiool time that helps them with varsity. I think this is an issue that is getting bigger too. More transfers today than 10 years ago.

I say this because not all talent on both sides originated from the feeder system.

I agree with this. There’s a tradition in football at Ma that runs deep, if you played there your kid will play there. It’s a heavy traditional based program. But then again Ma is the only program In the county that plays state championship football , well besides Elkin in there hay day, coach holder in my opinion brought ma to another level. Gonna be interesting to see if new coaching staff can maintain it.

I agree with this. There’s a tradition in football at Ma that runs deep, if you played there your kid will play there. It’s a heavy traditional based program. But then again Ma is the only program In the county that plays state championship football , well besides Elkin in there hay day, coach holder in my opinion brought ma to another level. Gonna be interesting to see if new coaching staff can maintain it.

I think ES’s HC Lowman will have much more to prove to his fans than Coach Adkins. Mount Airy should be fine but few transitions are smooth. I expect some turbulence in Pilot Mountain.

I think ES’s HC Lowman will have much more to prove to his fans than Coach Adkins. Mount Airy should be fine but few transitions are smooth. I expect some turbulence in Pilot Mountain.

Both teams play similar non-conference schedules (W.Stokes, N.Surry, S.Central) with ES having a slightly tougher non-conference schedule in their different games. ES faces E.Wilkes (9-3 in 2017) & Ragsdale (4A & 7-5 in 2017) while MA faces Elkin (6-7 in 2017) & Morehead (3A & 2-9 in 2017). It’ll be interesting to see how each team has progressed by the time they square off at the end of the regular season.

LOL Dave Diamont only made it once to the western finals and lost in
2001 NCHSAA 1AA Regional Finals Football David Diamont..
Coach Holder made it to the state Championship 3 times ,winning 1 and State runner up twice sense 2008 and also made it to the Western Finals several times..
2017 NCHSAA 1AA State Runner-Up Football Kelly Holder
2016 NCHSAA 1AA Regional Finals Football Kelly Holder
2009 NCHSAA 1A State Runner-Up Football Kelly Holder
2008 NCHSAA 1A State Champions Football Kelly Holder
2006 NCHSAA 1AA Regional Finals Football Kelly Holder
Diamont is no long term match to holder who beat the legendary Murphy head football coach David Gentry in 2017 . Holder beat Diamont more times then Diamont beat Holder. You my non-friend only watch and copy posts on other threads to make everyone think you know more the you do and only joined less then a year ago. they're is Fake News everywhere. I been watching you so every western conference repeating what others post a few days/weeks later. They call it monkey see monkey do.Holder is in the top 5 in the last 10 years and Diamond in the top 20 . Holders record is far better then Diamont's ! ! ... Holder has won like 71% 0f his games to Diamont's 69% .... Everyone watch this guy's posts.He loves to personal attack people that know more then he does and acts an expert on every conference in the west. Everyone knows Mount Airy has always advanced futher the East Surry 75 % of the time. Diamont is a good coach ,but has 75% of the time caved under pressure of a closs game.
Diamont is and would never be in the top 5.

While having a great discussion with gdawg74 (thanks gdawg!), I realized something alarming about your post.

Coach Diamont had a 11 to 10 advantage over Coach Holder head to head.

Holder started at Mount Airy in 1999 as HC. This is a fact. Diamont started his 2nd tenure the same time...another fact. Here are other facts....

1999-2003 East Surry won 5 straight years (5-0 Diamont)

2004 Mount Airy won (5-1 Diamont).

2005-2006 East Surry won two consecutive years (7-1 Diamont).

2007-2012: Mount Airy won 6 straight years (7-7).

2013: Mount Airy won regular season. East Surry won in playoffs (8-8).

2014-2015 East Surry won back to back (Diamont 10-8).

2016: East Surry wins in regular season, Mount Airy wins in playoffs (Diamont 11-9).

2017 Mount Airy wins (Diamont has a 11-10 edge against Holder).

Awful lot of talent on both teams northwest watch dog, what’s your out look on the two, I have my opinion on the 2 after seeing them both thru the summer, but always interesting to see what others think

Both teams also play Starmount and the Rams will be better. East Surry could go 2-4 in non-conference play. That’s a hard schedule.

Awful lot of talent on both teams northwest watch dog, what’s your out look on the two, I have my opinion on the 2 after seeing them both thru the summer, but always interesting to see what others think
I haven’t gotten to see the teams during the summer due to work constraints and such. I honestly don’t put a ton of stock in 7-on-7’s or summer scrimmages - most teams are trying new things, new personnel, etc. and some teams are more run based, which doesn’t equate to 7-on-7 success. Just based on the talent returning from last year, both should be very talented (slight overall edge to MA). I think the key will be how each team grasps and adjusts to their new coach’s philosophies. I think both teams will have a good run this fall and I’d love to see them meet up a 2nd time in the 3rd or 4th Rd of the playoffs (hopefully not 2nd Rd).

Did Chris Griggs and Luke Wheeler play college football? Any info is appreciated.

Griggs played somewhere , not sure where , wheeler did not , two of the best high school football players I ever seen play the game

Wheeler could have but wasn't interested in playing in college. A shame . He had a natural passion and talent. Briggs did not develop study habits while at ES and went to Hargrave to try and improve his stock. A natural talent
Not sure where he ended up

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT