ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 2A 2023

Shelby has some cancer inside that team. Don’t think they’ll be a contender this year. I’ve seen it in Teachey a few years ago. It takes two or three years to get over it

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
While I do think Shelby is in a somewhat weird phase in their program, it would be unwise of anyone to discount them. It wouldn't shock me if they returned to form and made a serious run at the title. But like someone said previously, sometimes these issues take a couple years to get rid of.

While I do think Shelby is in a somewhat weird phase in their program, it would be unwise of anyone to discount them. It wouldn't shock me if they returned to form and made a serious run at the title. But like someone said previously, sometimes these issues take a couple years to get rid of.
What exactly are their issues?

Chemistry
In 2021 Shelby was really really good with their only loss coming to the number 1 team in South Carolina and they barely beat us. We lost some incredible talent off that defense and in 22 it showed. We had a year that was down compared to most Shelby teams. We will get better hopefully as the season goes this year but I will tell you that no 2A team has a tougher first four games than Shelby.

In 2021 Shelby was really really good with their only loss coming to the number 1 team in South Carolina and they barely beat us. We lost some incredible talent off that defense and in 22 it showed. We had a year that was down compared to most Shelby teams. We will get better hopefully as the season goes this year but I will tell you that no 2A team has a tougher first four games than Shelby.
That’s why I’m a big fan of Shelby. That 21 Shelby team was the best 2a team I’ve seen but by graduating those leaders on that team, it left a selfish culture within players. The missing leadership has to grow. I’m sure with a program like Shelby, it could be soon. Last year was bound to happen.

Last edited:
No particular order Reidsville,Wallace,Burns,Clinton,Monroe

Some others to watch Northeastern,Whiteville,East Surry,Shelby,James Kenan,Maiden,Salisbury,Hertford County,East Duplin

Clinton won't be sniffing top 5 ever this year. Calm the hype train 🚂down

They didn't give anything away. ED took it!! Don't talk down about ED, give them their due credit.
I was at that game, ED deserved everything they got. Great coaching. Great execution. ED truly went thru gauntlet to get to title with maybe exception being Whiteville, and I mean no disrespect to the Wolfpack but considering the score of that game, Clinton and WRH were each a “title” game.

Be real the field goal hiccup by Reidsville was the deciding factor. Wasn’t for that Reidsville wins by a TD or 2.
Be real the field goal hiccup by Reidsville was the deciding factor. Wasn’t for that Reidsville wins by a TD or 2.
Reidsville caught a break too, though, with the strip fumble right before halftime. JD McCain made a heckuva play. ED was headed for another touchdown, which would have been the nail in the coffin, period. East Duplin would have been up by 3 tds, if I’m remembering correctly.

Reidsville could do nothing with ED’s running game. I was shocked at the ease in which the Panthers were running that “ish” against the vaunted Rams defense. ED slowed themselves down, once they got cute with the double handoffs. The better team doesn’t always win, but for one game and that very day, East Duplin was the better team, period, in my opinion.

Reidsville caught a break too, though, with the strip fumble right before halftime. JD McCain made a heckuva play. ED was headed for another touchdown, which would have been the nail in the coffin, period. East Duplin would have been up by 3 tds, if I’m remembering correctly.

Reidsville could do nothing with ED’s running game. I was shocked at the ease in which the Panthers were running that “ish” against the vaunted Rams defense. ED slowed themselves down, once they got cute with the double handoffs. The better team doesn’t always win, but for one game and that very day, East Duplin was the better team, period, in my opinion.

Run defense was always the weakness. Page exploited it and east Duplin of course that’s what they do. Eastern alamance was having a lot of success as well, as you said they got cute and passed too much. Hopefully that won’t be a weakness this season.

East Duplin did what they do on offense- and that was run the ball effectively. No surprise there. I was surprised ED was able to slow down Reidsville’s passing attack. Add 7 from special teams and you have the recipe for an upset.

I disagree with that east duplin was the more physical team. And they had just enough speed to stick with them. They whip their ass up front there's no doubt about that watch the film. Reidsvilles line was going backwards both sides of the ball. Sure you like your team but come on man you had to see that. That was a weakness of that team I may not be their weakness this year I'm sure they're going to be older and stronger so there's that. But they got their butts kicked on a line of scrimmage last year. And in the kicking game which seems to bite you boys in the east every time.

I disagree with that east duplin was the more physical team. And they had just enough speed to stick with them. They whip their ass up front there's no doubt about that watch the film. Reidsvilles line was going backwards both sides of the ball. Sure you like your team but come on man you had to see that. That was a weakness of that team I may not be their weakness this year I'm sure they're going to be older and stronger so there's that. But they got their butts kicked on a line of scrimmage last year. And in the kicking game which seems to bite you boys in the east every time.

I don’t think he’s a reidsville fan. He can correct men if I’m wrong. I think reidsville could’ve easily won though, ed was also more composed. The locking wasn’t that bad this year, just a big mistake on that play. Our line definitely lost the battle up front, but think we were in the wrong defense anyway

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT