ADVERTISEMENT

Top 15 2A Women's Basketball

Quemiscuous

Sep 28, 2021
I'm going to take a crack at the top 15 women's teams this year. This list was kind of tough because some schools didn't have teams last year due to covid. But I based it off of who the team had returning and how they faired last year.

1. Shelby - they are the reigning champions and return the Hollifield sisters along with Pass they will be tough to beat
2. Farmville Central - Have represented the East for the past 3 years and still have A. Joyner and J. McDaniel. Could this finally be the Jaguars year?
3. Salisbury - lost to Shelby by 2 last and return McCullough and Bryant plus a host of young talent.
4. North Pitt - was quite young last year but with a new coach and a couple of key transfers they could be tough to contend with.
5. St. Pauls - unfortunately, covid knocked them out of the playoffs last year and the question is how will they replace Eichelberger
6. West Stokes - Knocked out by Shelby last year can they replace key seniors?
7. East Bladen - Very young team definitely excited to see what McDonald, Mitchell, and Burney do this year.
8. East Surry - Moving up to 2A could prove challenging but with returners Craven, Lawson, Hutchens, and Gammons I think the Cardinals will be just fine.
9. Forbush - Very balanced team last year I'm expecting them to contend. Ball, Ellison, and Sothard have an extra year under them and should lead this team deep in the playoffs
10. Randleman - Can Hall, Petty, and York lead this team deep into the playoffs again.
11. Newton Conover - Replacing Loftin will be a tall task but with Geddes and Fox returning they have a strong foundation.
12. Southwest Onslow - Return both Hardison and Reid if any of their underclassmen step up they will definitely be a contender.
13. T.W. Andrews - How well this young and talented core comes together will say a lot, especially with K. Baker graduating last year
14. McMichael - While their run to the East Regional runner-up was unconventional the tandem of Robertson and Hairston should have this team looking better than last year. Having West Stokes in their conference will give them an early test.

15. Kinston - a team full of freshman and sophomores last have the experience needed to contend in the East.

Please remember this is just my opinion and there are tons of teams in 2A that will be able to contend in March. It looks like the West will be a dog fight. This list will definitely be updated and maybe even expanded as the season goes on. The season starts Monday!!!

These all look like solid choices. In the East, I would add North Lenoir who I think brings back everyone from last year's team. Also, Clinton lost Banks, who will be tough to replace, but brings back almost everyone else and they were able to get a lot of experience last year.

West Stokes lost a lot in that senior class that graduated, there isn’t anything walking in the door or coming off the bench that can replace that.

Bunker Hill lost their point guard, but I think that they will be a tough out.

A team that could potentially surprise some folks is East Rutherford. With Larry Ross back in the fold as head coach, I think they could definitely make some noise.

Reactions: Quemiscuous
Bunker Hill lost their point guard, but I think that they will be a tough out.

A team that could potentially surprise some folks is East Rutherford. With Larry Ross back in the fold as head coach, I think they could definitely make some noise.
I appreciate that, I will definitely look at these teams going forward and add them to the next list.

Reactions: TDCSportsEditor
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT