ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on 2019 Season

THSRudeBoyz

Jun 12, 2019
What are you guys thoughts on the upcoming season!? Who will be the surprise team? Who will be the bounce back team? Who’s the sleeper team?

With a better schedule North Stokes could have a better season. Looking at the schedule their are only three games against top tier teams West Stokes, East Surry and Mount Airy. They have a competitive schedule.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I also see a lot of people are sleeping on Pamlico County. Might I add that they only had 5 seniors on their team last year. So if everything went good for them during the school year they’ll return pretty much their roster from last year That’s kinda scary!

Cherokee would have been state champions if Murphy and Mitchell and Robbinsville played up

Reactions: CherokeeKid
"To be the best, you've got to beat the best"
"If we didn't have to beat the best, we would have been the best"

:) :) :)

If coach would have kept mintz at QB(the entire game not just 2nd half when it was pouring down rain)instead of wr I still say we would have beat Mitchell last year. I mean dang mintz was beating murphy last year at halftime. Now mintz has left and everyone says we r going to suck. I'm looking forward to my Allegheny Trojans season but not the Braves. But hey people can what if forever and it won't change a thing. If Durant and Klay don't go down Toronto doesn't have a championship...that's a if u could take to the bank imo.

Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
I’m looking forward to our opening game against rocky mount senior high. I’m hearing the coaches and admin are expecting a huge crowd for this one.

Reactions: bud33345
I’m looking forward to our opening game against rocky mount senior high. I’m hearing the coaches and admin are expecting a huge crowd for this one.
Yessuhh!!! Viking stadium is definitely going to be ROCKING! We haven’t played Rocky Mount in years! It’s passed due!

The season is getting closer & closer! Man I'm ready to get back to Friday Night Lights!

Yep alot of tv news cameras will be on hand for Rocky Mount/ Tarboro. Everyone needs to be on their best behavior

Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
Them having quick backs is a given. Last year they had 2 backs clock 4.5 at the shrine bowl combine.

Yea, that’s so funny right? Would your coach not count having three guys with that kind of speed as a plus? I get speed isn’t everything, but let’s not pretend that having guys with that kind of speed isn’t a huge asset.

It’s not true? We had two guys clock 4.5 at the shrine bowl, so it’s that hard to believe? I’ve seen one of the kids and he’s one of the fastest people I’ve ever seen, so no, I don’t find it unbelievable. Maybe I’m a fool and shouldn’t believe what I heard. With that being said, I do know this, we will be very good again, and I’m expecting the Vikings to make another deep run. Good luck to your knights ;)

All I know is the 2018 shrine bowl combine had 2 backs from Tarboro at 4.5 here is the link:
http://www.shrine-bowl.com/2018-shrine-bowl/2018-combine-schedules
Tarboro didn't have a senior back for the 2019 combine.
As far as a 4.3 goes....I get the skepticism, especially 3 backs. They would automatically be 3 of the fastest backs in the NFL. Even faster than Gurley. And among the fastest to play in the NFL. I can't confirm this claim. There is a big difference in 4.5 and 4.3. I love the enthusiasm and support for the kids on the team. Tarboro's backs are going to be fast let's just say and leave the numbers until they are confirmed.

Reactions: mbdfan and BK13T-$
I am sure they are all really fast, but it's pretty well documented that kids seem to get waaay slower between what they're clocked at in high school and the NFL combine for some reason...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...13-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times

Kind of like the Martin twins (formerly of Davie Co. and NC State) shrinking two and a half inches between high school and the NBA combine. You just always have to take high school measurable with a grain of salt.

Reactions: mbdfan and BK13T-$
I am sure they are all really fast, but it's pretty well documented that kids seem to get waaay slower between what they're clocked at in high school and the NFL combine for some reason...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...13-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times

Kind of like the Martin twins (formerly of Davie Co. and NC State) shrinking two and a half inches between high school and the NBA combine. You just always have to take high school measurable with a grain of salt.
Yes numbers are skewed in high school either by the said player's coach hand time 40 or by the player themselves by what they post on hudl or any other recruiting profile. The difference with the Shrine Bowl numbers is the scores are done by independent individuals that are looking for the best high school seniors in the state. Keziah Everrett is a good case study here. It was said by his coach he clocked a 4.9/ @ 6'2" 330lb. Granted he was not recruited because of this time for his position but it definitely perked some ears up with college coaches. This number is still mentioned on his ECU profile. He goes to the shrine combine and he runs a 5.28. I'd say on his best run he may fall someplace in the 5.2 flat range. Players and coaches want to get noticed and putting a good 40 on a profile is a way to do that. The rivals combine is by far the most accurate numbers for kids in high school with their timing method. I'd say shrine combine is second just by the fact of them being independent scorer's.

Last edited:
Our(Tarboro) QB Alone runs a 4.3 40 & he won Boys 100 Meter Dash with a speed of 10.77 & he won anothe 100 meter also w/ a time of 10.88. He displayed that speed against East Surry in the champship game also!

Our(Tarboro) QB Alone runs a 4.3 40 & he won Boys 100 Meter Dash with a speed of 10.77 & he won anothe 100 meter also w/ a time of 10.88. He displayed that speed against East Surry in the champship game also!
Oh yeah, that kid is quick and believe you me that documented 100 meter score has college coaches salivating. Still, converting a 10.77 to a 40 yard dash puts him in the mid to high 4.4 range. I'm sure he got some calls on June 14 from coaches to see where his academics were.

Last edited:
Just to add, I have always felt the shuttle times are a better indication of what a players true football speed is. If a kid runs a 5.1 40yd yet has a 4.6 shuttle time his 40 should be around 4.8 with proper technique and training. To me, the shuttle mimics more of what you would see on a football field. I think the smarter coaches put more stock in the shuttle when evaluating football players. Unfortunately those times get drowned by a quick or pedestrian 40 time. Also a 10 yard split can show how explosive a player is in my opinion. How quickly they can come out of a stance and get to a full sprint should be a good measuring stick. Most combines don't even time this along with the 40 times.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:It’s a good thing they don’t have to play anybody in the smc, these plow mules up here wouldn’t have a chance:rolleyes:
Lol.. it sure is, because then the SMC posters here would have nothing to be optimistic about.:p I personally enjoy y'alls rants on here. Lol

Last edited:
I love watching that speed held in check.
MIC RB and Chapel are the most recent.

One thing I've noticed over the years is when them speed demons get hit in the mouth until they puke grape cool aid they tend to slow down.

Yeahhhhh... I wouldnt put those teams in the same stratosphere as Tarboro. Those 185lb speed demon, head hunters, you see on offense, on tape, are the same kids on defense rattling teeth and shutting down the 2 ton honey bun "plow mules" on opposing offenses.

Can Tarboro be beat by a 1a team? I am not sure it can be done but I think it would take a SMC style game. You can’t match them athlete for athlete. Just nobody has that kind of depth. Heck most 1a teams are lucky to have 40 boys 9th-12 grade playing. They have 100 probably. You would have to really slow the game down and take every second you could off the clock. I saw Robbinsville a few years ago against either Swain or Murphy, I cant remember. They took the entire 3rd quarter and finally scored in the 2 min of the 4th quarter.. Hard nosed 3.5 yards a carry game and hope you got a turnover somewhere to get you ahead on the scoreboard. One penalty on offense and you lose the game. The bad part is Tarboro is probably better on Defense. So is it possible?

Reactions: bud33345 and Mbulld
Tarboro would be hard to beat but if you notice teams that are losing enrollment are really good for a year or 2. Then it starts to even out. Tarboro will either move up or become beatable in a year or 2.
Numbers wilk eventually affect all teams

Tarboro would be hard to beat but if you notice teams that are losing enrollment are really good for a year or 2. Then it starts to even out. Tarboro will either move up or become beatable in a year or 2.
Numbers wilk eventually affect all teams
I agree here with some of this, Its hard for any 1A team to compete with Tarboro. However, I do not see this changing if they stay 1A, 2 years or even 5 years down the road. The coaches have built a culture that has made these kids gym rats. If coaching and culture stay in tact, dont expect performance on the field to change. When they moved down to 1A in 2012, it was because of a near by charter school and the allure of kids wanting to go to the newly built school. It took a few years for Tarboro to recover on the football field. The adms don't tell the whole story when it comes to realignment. Tarboro has 2A numbers on a football team in a 1A conference. I'll be the first to admit that. I do believe the Tarboro in the present can compete with any team no matter the classification. To me, they are that good. A good measuring stick will be week 1 at Vikings stadium against a team many consider a strong contender in 3A.

Last edited:
It will be interesting in a few years when they do the next alignment. Crazy to think how much bigger our numbers are versus TN. These are the splits in TN...
1a - 0-375
2a - 376-556
3a - 557-821
4a - 822-1102
5a - 1103-1508
6a - 1509-+

Reactions: Eastcoastman1957
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT