ADVERTISEMENT

This week in the SMC

Mitchell boys are very up and down mainly down. They have some talent but you never know what they may do. Not a tremendous amount of size.

Go Mountaineers

Sounds similar to Andrews...talented, a little inconsistent, guard heavy.

Last edited:
I’m like everyone else I wish we had the road of least resistance but it is what it is. Everyone has to win to advance and they are no perfect bracket so you just play the game at hand. Let’s remember these are young men from 15 to 18 years of age. Just enjoy the games

What will be interesting is if cherokee girls play at murphy Saturday and cherokee boys play at hayesville saturday...will they coordinate the games so cherokee fans can make it to both...or will they make us pick one of the games and have them at same time.

I think Mitchell girls have a good shot to come out of the bottom half of the bracket and be in the regional finals, it's between them and Alleghany, no one else has a chance. I do think Mitchell and Alleghany have good teams but they will not be battle tested the way the winner of the top half of the bracket is.

As for the boys Andrews has plenty of talent but it's starting to look like they peaked earlier in the season when they were playing like a top 15 or so team in 1A. If the good version of Andrews shows up for the playoffs they will make it to a 3rd round matchup with Lincoln Charter, if the team that scuffled through the end of the regular season heads to Mitchell it will probably be a short playoff stay for Andrews.
Mitchell girls got as good of a seed as possible for a deep run. Coming off a win vs MH in the tournament championship they should be peaking when they need to peak. They’re 1st in 1a on 3’s made and it’s not even close. 6th in all classifications. Murphy is undeniably the team to beat in 1a girls but would rather face them in Hickory than at Murphy. Got to get by Alleghany first of course but at least we’re not going through the SMC to get there.

As an alleghany girls fan Mitchell worries me... I was hoping that east surry would get the three seed. I think we would match up better with them. Hopefully tha matchup happens....highlands is also a team that can be decent they gave braves a good game earlier this year despite there record

Highlands girls are tough...they aren’t just seeded high because they come from a small conference, MaxPrep rank is 15. They beat Mountain Six 2A tournament champ Brevard, as well as three Big Smoky playoff teams ( Hayesville, Swain and Rosman). Also gave Mountain Six 2A regular season champ Franklin a one point game, and played Cherokee and Robbinsville tight.

Last edited:
Mount Airy girls can make a run. They play solid defense and will have 5 kids on the court that can shoot the 3 ball. They just do not have much size.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT