ADVERTISEMENT

This week in the SMC

New Adjusted MaxPrep rankings are out. Andrews drops from the 20s into the 40s. Hayesville drops a little, enough to probably cost a potential 3rd round home game. Cherokee wins 5 in a row since the last rankings—including beating the top teams in the SMC, and barely moves. MaxPreps is kind to the SMC in football and girls hoops, but makes things tough on the boys basketball teams.

Last edited:
New MaxPrep rankings are out. Andrews drops from the 20s into the 40s. Hayesville drops a little, enough to probably cost a potential 3rd round home game. Cherokee wins 5 in a row since the last rankings—including beating the top teams in the SMC, and barely moves. MaxPreps is kind to the SMC in football and girls hoops, but makes things tough on the boys basketball teams.
It's down to scheduling along with the SMC just being tougher on a state level in football and girls basketball than in boys basketball.

The reality is SMC boys is a weak league so if Andrews and Hayesville want a better shot at home games in the playoffs next season they will need to add a couple more challenging non conference games to the slate, obviously they can't do anything about the bottom of the SMC killing their schedule strength so the onus is on them to try to toughen up their non conference slate a bit.

As it stands when your toughest non conference games are Franklin, Towns County, etc. you aren't going to get much love from Maxpreps unless you just blow through people.

Last edited:
That’s true, but it’s also easier to schedule quality opponents on the girls side because the North Georgia teams and Mountain Six teams are also stronger on the girls side. Cherokee went out and played about the toughest non-conference schedule you could ask for from a mountain team and is still going to be seeded last on the 2 line most likely.

Plus, even when SMC boys can find good games, they often have to go out of state, and there is also a huge flaw in using MaxPreps in that teams from other states sometimes don’t report on MaxPreps as well as N.C. teams do. For instance, Hayesville’s best non conference win is probably Polk Co (TN), who just won their AA league, but MaxPreps is missing like 7 of their results. Considering there is a fraction of a point separating them, Chatham Charter, and South Stanly, with the 4 seed (and an extra round of home court) at stake, that could have made a difference.

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/polk-wins-1st-district,108696

Last edited:
It's down to scheduling along with the SMC just being tougher on a state level in football and girls basketball than in boys basketball.

The reality is SMC boys is a weak league so if Andrews and Hayesville want a better shot at home games in the playoffs next season they will need to add a couple more challenging non conference games to the slate, obviously they can't do anything about the bottom of the SMC killing their schedule strength so the onus is on them to try to toughen up their non conference slate a bit.

As it stands when your toughest non conference games are Franklin, Towns County, etc. you aren't going to get much love from Maxpreps unless you just blow through people.

Easier said than done. Years ago Hayesville had home and home games with people such as Pisgah, Tuscola and others. However, once you start to beat them then your calls don't get returned.

Last edited:
Girls: Murphy 61 - Robbinsville 17 Final
I don't think there is any question now who is the best girls team in the conference. With or without their best player, one player doesn't make up a 44 point loss. I was shocked when I saw this score. It seems they are on a mission with how many heart breaking losses they have had over the past several years deep in the playoffs.

I've always said that if I were a mountain team and thought we had a team to compete, I would hope my coach would schedule teams in the Charlotte area. Yes, you would have to travel but play on Friday's or Saturday. Cherokee I think scheduled game s on Saturday to play. Playing and beating teams in the mountains aren't like playing teams in the Charlotte, Winston, areas. You find out real quick where you stand as a team. Taking a loss or 3 is not a bad thing because it will show you what needs to be improved or areas you are good at. I think sometimes mountain teams blame it on travel but I think for the most part they enjoy the "wins" from playing really weak teams. Mountian Heritage should have played nothing but Charlotte teams for their entire non-conference schedule. I know they played Newton-Conover (they aren't good) and Science Hill but the other non-conference games were weak, very weak. Go play teams, get better and prove you are good statewide. Don't complain about ranking when you don't play anyone. Winston Salem Prep has 7 losses and is still ranked 3rd because those losses were to really good teams. Henderson Collegiate, who is the best team in 1A, has 10 losses but those losses will help them win a state championship. They played Independence, Moravian Prep, Combine, etc. Lincoln Charter played Greensboro Day, and yes they lost, but I'm sure that helped their rankings. Point is, go play teams, schedule teams that may beat you....but in the long run, it will help.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I don't think there is any question now who is the best girls team in the conference. With or without their best player, one player doesn't make up a 44 point loss. I was shocked when I saw this score. It seems they are on a mission with how many heart breaking losses they have had over the past several years deep in the playoffs.
Won’t make up for 44 points but when that 1 player is the glue of the team it hurts a whole lot worse. Game would have been a lot closer than you think. Robbinsville wouldn’t have won. May have been closer to 8 to 10 points. Everything clicks when that girls plays for Robbinsville. Say what you want but them playing Murphy as close as what they did when she was playing, wasn’t a fluke

Reactions: BK13T-$
I've always said that if I were a mountain team and thought we had a team to compete, I would hope my coach would schedule teams in the Charlotte area. Yes, you would have to travel but play on Friday's or Saturday. Cherokee I think scheduled game s on Saturday to play. Playing and beating teams in the mountains aren't like playing teams in the Charlotte, Winston, areas. You find out real quick where you stand as a team. Taking a loss or 3 is not a bad thing because it will show you what needs to be improved or areas you are good at. I think sometimes mountain teams blame it on travel but I think for the most part they enjoy the "wins" from playing really weak teams. Mountian Heritage should have played nothing but Charlotte teams for their entire non-conference schedule. I know they played Newton-Conover (they aren't good) and Science Hill but the other non-conference games were weak, very weak. Go play teams, get better and prove you are good statewide. Don't complain about ranking when you don't play anyone. Winston Salem Prep has 7 losses and is still ranked 3rd because those losses were to really good teams. Henderson Collegiate, who is the best team in 1A, has 10 losses but those losses will help them win a state championship. They played Independence, Moravian Prep, Combine, etc. Lincoln Charter played Greensboro Day, and yes they lost, but I'm sure that helped their rankings. Point is, go play teams, schedule teams that may beat you....but in the long run, it will help.

Again, easier said than done. And what does it get you? Cherokee brought in Lincoln Charter, brought the defending champs to their tournament, went to a Tennessee tournament full of larger schools, played a home and home with a 2A playoff team in Franklin...and still has one of the lowest MaxPrep is rankings out of the second place teams. Basically the entire SMC would have to schedule aggressively for it to make a difference. Plus, the schools they play are good for their girls teams rankings... so do you sacrifice that on the hope of improving the boys rankings?

Won’t make up for 44 points but when that 1 player is the glue of the team it hurts a whole lot worse. Game would have been a lot closer than you think. Robbinsville wouldn’t have won. May have been closer to 8 to 10 points. Everything clicks when that girls plays for Robbinsville. Say what you want but them playing Murphy as close as what they did when she was playing, wasn’t a fluke
Can't have it both ways, ya'll said when Cox tore his ACL in 2014 (along with Roberts the fullback missing most of the season with a torn MCL) it wouldn't have made any difference on the football field, that it was just excuses. So which is it?

Can't have it both ways, ya'll said when Cox tore his ACL in 2014 (along with Roberts the fullback missing most of the season with a torn MCL) it wouldn't have made any difference on the football field, that it was just excuses. So which is it?
I’ll be the first to tell you that Cox was a load. I played against him until jvs. And even back then he was hard to handle at that age. Let alone high school.

My opinion is Trammell is a difference maker and Robbinsville is a much better team with her on the floor. Do I think things would've went much different last night with her on the floor? No, you don't beat many teams shooting 19% from the field, let alone keep pace with a very good opponent. Full credit to Murphy's defense (14 steals, 6 blocks) but it's clear Robbinsville had a rough shooting night as well.

Look, with Trammell on the floor Robbinsville is clearly good enough to play with Murphy when they're on their A game, they proved that already. Just like I maintain an always will Cox and to a lesser extent Roberts would've made a big difference in how things went in 2014 in football, even though I was told it was just excuses.

But injuries are part of sports, so you can take absolutely nothing away from Murphy girls this year or Robbinsville football in 2014, both are/were proven winners. I mean heck if we are talking injuries one of Murphy's two best players in girls basketball has played with a knee injury for two years now, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Again, easier said than done. And what does it get you? Cherokee brought in Lincoln Charter, brought the defending champs to their tournament, went to a Tennessee tournament full of larger schools, played a home and home with a 2A playoff team in Franklin...and still has one of the lowest MaxPrep is rankings out of the second place teams. Basically the entire SMC would have to schedule aggressively for it to make a difference. Plus, the schools they play are good for their girls teams rankings... so do you sacrifice that on the hope of improving the boys rankings?
Good points...and yes, a weak conference probably doesn't make it easier for a team to schedule strong. But still, it will tell a team where they are at and what they need to work on. I don't know the solution but I would want to play outside of my comfort zone to get exposure for players and for the team as well.

Is Trammell going to be back for the playoffs?
Not sure. I was told she would only be in that boot about 2 weeks but it’s already been that long or longer. So maybe some of the other Robbinsville people on here can clarify that

Reactions: mbdfan
My opinion is Trammell is a difference maker and Robbinsville is a much better team with her on the floor. Do I think things would've went much different last night with her on the floor? No, you don't beat many teams shooting 19% from the field, let alone keep pace with a very good opponent. Full credit to Murphy's defense (14 steals, 6 blocks) but it's clear Robbinsville had a rough shooting night as well.

Look, with Trammell on the floor Robbinsville is clearly good enough to play with Murphy when they're on their A game, they proved that already. Just like I maintain an always will Cox and to a lesser extent Roberts would've made a big difference in how things went in 2014 in football, even though I was told it was just excuses.

But injuries are part of it so I take absolutely nothing away from Murphy girls this year or Robbinsville football in 2014, both are/were proven winners. Heck one of Murphy's two best players in girls basketball has played with a knee injury for two years now, it is what it is.
If memory serves me correctly, Murphy was without one of its top stars in Rogers or maybe Addison (mbdfan could maybe clarify this) in the Battle of the States tournament over Christmas break and won that tournament against great, quality teams in Union County, GA who has a 22-6 record, Lumpkin County, GA with a 15-11 record and Hokes Bluff, AL who has a 20-7 record and beat them comfortably. Point is, even if it is 1A ball, its about next man or in this case, woman up and they played well until she came back from injury. It's all about adjusting and playing to your team's strength and battle your tails off. It seems Trammell is a solid player and I wish her a full recovery.

Reactions: mbdfan
What’s people’s thoughts on the Andrews and Cherokee game tonight?
Andrews played good team ball Saturday. Passed the ball well and everyone contributed. This is how we will have to play from here on out. We still had 1 Senior out but I don’t know if he he will be available for tonight. I hope so. Cherokee is playing lights out and Andrews will have to play good team ball to win.

If memory serves me correctly, Murphy was without one of its top stars in Rogers or maybe Addison (mbdfan could maybe clarify this) in the Battle of the States tournament over Christmas break and won that tournament against great, quality teams in Union County, GA who has a 22-6 record, Lumpkin County, GA with a 15-11 record and Hokes Bluff, AL who has a 20-7 record and beat them comfortably. Point is, even if it is 1A ball, its about next man or in this case, woman up and they played well until she came back from injury. It's all about adjusting and playing to your team's strength and battle your tails off. It seems Trammell is a solid player and I wish her a full recovery.
Yes, Murphy girls won Battle of the States without Addison who has had issues with her knee for two years now, including a surgery.

The Murphy team that won Battle of the States will all be back next season minus one rotation player.

Trammel will probably play next game. I heard she was cleared to play 3 minutes vs Murphy then evaluate it. I guess they didn't won't to take any chances.

Reactions: WickedStix9
Injuries make a huge difference when they are starters, HUGE, but no excuses from me ,not publically anyway.

Reactions: BK13T-$
https://www.nchsaa.org/sports/basketball

Preliminary brackets are up. Boys side Hayesville (5) and Swain play again, Andrews (25) goes to Mitchell, Cherokee (13) hosts South Stokes. Hiwassee Dam (9) hosts CS-Davidson. Highlands (32) goes to Lincoln Charter.

Girls side Murphy is top seed and hosts Pine Lake Prep. Rosman (17) goes to Union Academy, Robbinsville (13) hosts Winston Salem Prep, Cherokee (9) and Swain (24) have a rematch, Hayesville (15) hosts Polk, Highlands (7) hosts Bessemer City, Blue Ridge (19) goes to Mt Airy, and Hiwassee Dam (21) goes to Christ the King.

Last edited:
Girls: not much of a reward for Murphy, their side of the bracket is loaded, looking at a potential 3rd round game with Cherokee and if they were to win that a 4th round matchup with East Surry or Robbinsville, it's hard to beat good teams four times. The bottom half of the bracket is pretty weak (Murphy would've been MUCH better off being the #2 seed) and I feel confident whoever comes out of the top half will represent the west in the title game.

Boys: I feel like Andrews has a legitimate shot at the 3rd round (if they can shake off their late season swoon) and Hayesville the 4th round with the draws they got.

Last edited:
https://www.nchsaa.org/sports/basketball

Preliminary brackets are up. Boys side Hayesville (5) and Swain play again, Andrews (25) goes to Mitchell, Cherokee (13) hosts South Stokes. Hiwassee Dam (9) hosts CS-Davidson. Highlands (32) goes to Lincoln Charter.

Girls side Murphy is top seed and hosts Pine Lake Prep. Rosman (17) goes to Union Academy, Robbinsville (13) hosts Winston Salem Prep, Cherokee (9) and Swain (24) have a rematch, Hayesville (15) hosts Polk, Highlands (7) hosts Bessemer City, Blue Ridge (19) goes to Mt Airy, and Hiwassee Dam (21) goes to Christ the King.
Good luck to all the SMC BOYS & GIRLS !!
One game at a time and losers go home and start Baseball, Softball & Track & Field !!
I hope our teams go deep

On girls side not much of a reward for Murphy, their side of the bracket is loaded, looking at a potential 3rd round game with Cherokee and if they were to win that a 4th round matchup with East Surry or Robbinsville, hard to beat good teams four times. Other side of the bracket is pretty weak and I feel confident whoever comes out of the top half will represent the west in the title game.

On the boys side I feel like Andrews has a legitimate shot at the 3rd round (if they can shake off their late season swoon) and Hayesville the 4th with the draws they got.

I agree. Andrews has a better draw as a third place team this year than they did last year as a second place team last year (except no home game). Was disappointed to see East Surry matched up with Prep round 2. Thought they could really be a low-seed spoiler but not sure they’ll beat Prep a third time.

Not much of a reward for Murphy, their side of the bracket is loaded, looking at a potential 3rd round game with Cherokee and if they were to win that a 4th round matchup with East Surry or Robbinsville. Other side of the bracket is weak.

On the boys side I feel like Andrews has a legitimate shot at the 3rd round (if they can shake off their late season swoon) and Hayesville the 4th with the draws they got.

Long drive for Andrews to play a 9 win Mitchell team. Mitchell boys are very up and down mainly down. They have some talent but you never know what they may do. Not a tremendous amount of size.

I agree the top half of the women's draw looks to be and is no doubt tougher. Mitchell women has potential to go 3 or 4 rounds IF they play to their potential. Quick but small. Don't think anyone has anything for Murphy though.

Go Mountaineers

Long drive for Andrews to play a 9 win Mitchell team. Mitchell boys are very up and down mainly down. They have some talent but you never know what they may do. Not a tremendous amount of size.

I agree the top half of the women's draw looks to be and is no doubt tougher. Mitchell women has potential to go 3 or 4 rounds IF they play to their potential. Quick but small. Don't think anyone has anything for Murphy though.

Go Mountaineers
I think Mitchell girls have a good shot to come out of the bottom half of the bracket and be in the regional finals, it's between them and Alleghany, no one else has a chance. I do think Mitchell and Alleghany have good teams but they will not be battle tested the way the winner of the top half of the bracket is.

As for the boys Andrews has plenty of talent but it's starting to look like they peaked earlier in the season when they were playing like a top 15 or so team in 1A. If the good version of Andrews shows up for the playoffs they will make it to a 3rd round matchup with Lincoln Charter, if the team that scuffled through the end of the regular season heads to Mitchell it will probably be a short playoff stay for Andrews.

Last edited:
Reactions: wncbowhunter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT