ADVERTISEMENT

The Statewide 1A Conference Review(Week#10)!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
As the season has unfolded, there are several teams around the state who have wanted, and needed to be respected, and several of those teams got that respect last friday night as 3 of the top 10 teams lost, while a few others kept rolling toward season-ending games that will determine conference titles...Let's take a look at what happened last week...

1A West(36)
-----------------
SMC(7)
----------
In Cherokee, the 7th ranked Braves(9-0 & 4-0) remained unbeaten, and took sole possession of first place in the SMC as the Cherokee' "Bend but don't break" defense held Robbinsville(6-3 & 2-2) to 3 FGs, while Sr. QB Tye Mintz ran for a TD and passed for 2 more in the Braves hard fought 18-9 win...Meanwhile in Bryson City, Swain County(5-4 & 4-1) kicker Tanner Wiggins' 24yd 3rd Qtr FG provided the winning margin(29-27), but QB Brodie Bowman was the difference maker, rushing for 143yds & 3TDs in keeping the Maroondevils' SMC title hopes alive in their big rivalry win over 3rd ranked Murphy(7-2 & 3-1)...In Hayesville, the Yellowjackets(2-7 & 1-3) picked up their first SMC victory(21-9) against Andrews(1-9 & 0-5)...Rosman(2-7 & 1-3) was Idle last week...

NWC(6)
----------
2nd ranked Mount Airy(9-0 & 3-0) recorded their 3rd straight NWC shutout(57-0) as the Granite Bears annihilated the Phoenix of W-S Prep(1--7 & 0-3) , and sent their fans home early with a continuous running clock for the 2nd half of the game...It wasn't much different in Danbury as East Surry(6-3 & 3-0) did the same(63-0) in rolling over North Stokes(0-9 & 0-3)...Meanwhile, South Stokes(4-5 & 2-1) all but secured their hold on 3rd place in the NWC with a hard fought road win(11-7) at Bishop McGuinness(3-6 & 1-2)...

SPC(8)
----------
In a battle between unbeatens, Thomas Jefferson(9-0 & 5-0) got a big night from dual-threat QB Nomi McMullens who passed for over 200+yds & 4TDs, and ran for another 100+yds as the Gryphons knocked-off(26-14) previously unbeaten 10th ranked Bessemer City(8-1 & 4-1) to claim sole possession of first place in the SPC....Mountain Island Charter(7-2 & 4-1) who will travel to face the Gryphons this week kept their SPC title hopes alive with a homecoming victory(48-18) over Pine Lake Prep(3-6 & 1-4)...In other SPC action, the Community Sch. of Davidson(4-5 & 3-2) picked up an important hard fought road win(38-36) at the Union Academy(5-4 & 2-3), while Cherryville(3-6 & 1-4) held off a rally(33-25) from Highland Tech(2-7 & 0-5) to get their first SPC win of the season...

YVC(8)
----------
In New London, North Stanly(8-1 & 5-0) took a big step toward their first YVC title as the Comets defense forced 4 turnovers and Jr. RB Cameron Davis rushed for 200+yds and 4TDs in the big YVC win over 6th ranked North Rowan(7-2 & 4-1)....The Cavaliers will next travel to face West Montgomery(7-2 & 4-1) for this week's YVC Game of the Week...The Warriors shutout(54-0) the Mustangs of North Moore(2-7 & 1-4) in Mt. Gilead...In other YVC action, South Stanly(4-5 & 3-2) shutout(47-0) Chatham Central(1-8 & 0-5) in Bear Creek, while Albemarle(4-5 & 3-2) entertained the home folk with a 47-20 win over South Davidson(1-8 & 0-5)...

1A/2A WHC(3)
-------------------
Last Thursday in Columbus, 8th ranked 1A Mitchell County(8-1 & 2-1) pulled away from a first quarter tie(7-7) with 1A Polk County(6-3 & 2-1) to secure a big WHC victory(25-7) as QB Ben Young(1TD) and RB Ben Robinson(1TD) who both tip the scales at 210lbs each plowed through the Wolverines' defense in the 2nd half..Meanwhile,8th ranked 2A Mountain Heritage(8-0 & 3-0) who will host Polk County for the WHC Game of the week this week continued to coast toward the WHC title with a 56-12 win over 2A Madison County(3-6 & 1-1) last week...In other WHC action, 2A Owen(1-7 & 1-2) ended a 15 game losing-streak with a 35-10 win on the road at 1A Avery County(2-7 & 0-3)....

1A/2A MVC(4)
-------------------
4th ranked unbeaten 1A East Wilkes(9-0 & 5-0) and 2A Wilkes Central(7-2 & 5-0) continue to steamroll toward their season-ending showdown for the MVC title as the 1A Cardinals beat(47-21) 2A Ashe County(2-7 & 2-3) in West Jefferson, while the 2A Eagles shutout(55-0) 1A Alleghany(4-5 & 0-5) in Sparta...Meanwhile in Elkin, the 1A Bucking-Elks'(3-6 & 1-4) offense was clicking(49-28) as they got their first MVC win over reeling 2A West Wilkes(5-4 & 1-4)...In Boonville, 1A Starmount(5-4 & 4-1) who seems to be improving by the week beat(31-7) 2A North Wilkes(6-3 & 2-3)...The Rams will next travel to 2A Wilkes Central for the MVC Game of the Week, this friday...

1A East(38)
----------------
Atlantic-6(4)
------------
Bear Grass(6-2 & 5-0) continued their memorable first season as the Bears beat(42-24) Creswell(2-5 & 2-3) on the road....The Bears will next travel to face Columbia( 3-4 & 3-1) this week with the A-6 title on the line....The Bears beat(28-20) the Wildcats back on Oct 12th in a game that had to be rescheduled, and this will be their first trip to Columbia as a football program... Last friday, Columbia shutout(53-0) Mattamuskeet(0-9 & 0-6) who ended their season with a 13 game losing-streak...

AAC(6)
---------
In Gatesville, 5th ranked Holmes(8-1 & 3-0) blasted(49-6) Gates County(5-4 & 1-2) to remain tied atop the AAC standings with Manteo who shutout(49-0) Perquimans(1-8 & 0-3) last friday in Manteo....The Redskins(8-1 & 3-0) will travel to Edenton this week to face the Aces in a likely showdown for the 2017 AAC title in the AAC Game of the Week...In other AAC action last week, Plymouth(4-5 & 2-1) shutout(38-0) Camden County(1-8 & 0-3)...

CPC(7)
----------
Top-ranked Tarboro(10-0 & 5-0) recorded their 6th shutout(62-0) of the season, and are allowing a meager 4ppg to opponents as they beat Riverside-Martin(4-5 & 1-3) last friday in Williamston....In other CPC action last week, Northside-PT(4-5 & 2-2) claimed this year's Anchor Bowl(16-12) between Beaufort County rivals as the Panthers ended Southside's(6-4 & 2-3) late comeback bid in Chocowinity...Meanwhile, Jones Senior(0-9 & 0-4) did manage to score against South Creek(4-5 & 2-2), but that was of little consolation in their 51-6 loss to the Cougars....Pamlico(6-3 & 3-1) was Idle last week, and will travel to Riverside-Martin for this week's CPC Game of the Week...

Carolina(6)
--------------
9th ranked unbeaten North Duplin(9-0 & 3-0) converted an extra-point in overtime(40-39) to edge Princeton(7-2 & 2-1)...The Rebels could all but lock up the 2017 CC title this week when they host Rosewood(5-4 & 2-1) who spotted Union(2-7 & 0-3) an early TD before reeling-off 26 unanswered points in the Eagles 26-14 CC win...In other CC action last week, Lakewood(7-2 & 2-1) who will host Princeton for the CC Game of the Week this friday shutout(48-0) Hobbton last week, sending the Wildcats(0-9 & 0-3) to their 17th straight loss..

TRAC(7)
-------------
Northampton(9-1 & 5-0) clinched at least a tie for their first TRAC title, and added to their best start in school history with their 9th consecutive win(46-8) over nearby Kipp Pride(1-8 & 1-3) whose school is located only 3 miles down the road from the Jaguars....In other TRAC action last friday, SE Halifax(5-4 & 3-1) secured their hold on 2nd place in the TRAC with a shutout(46-0) at home against Weldon(2-5 & 2-2)...Meanwhile, North Edgecombe(3-6 & 3-2) got back on track with a 40-18 win over NW Halifax(1-7 & 0-4)...Rocky Mount Prep(3-6 & 1-3) was Open last friday, and will host their local rival the Warriors this week for the TRAC Game of the Week....

1A/2A TRC(3)
-------------------
10 ranked unbeaten 2A South Columbus(9-0 & 7-0) and 2A Whiteville(8-1 & 6-1) continued down the track toward their season-ending showdown to determine the TRC champion as the Stallions beat(43-13) 1A South Robeson(3-6 & 3-4) in Tabor City, while the Wolfpack shutout(57-0) 1A West Columbus(0-9 & 0-7) in Cerro Gordo...Meanwhile, 2A East Bladen(8-1 & 6-1) won by Forfeit as 1A East Columbus(0-9 & 0-7) didn't have enough players to compete last week....It is unclear if East Columbus will have a team for the rest of the season...In Saint Pauls, the 2A Bulldogs(5-4 & 5-2) QB Noah Wheeler rushed for 6TDs and nearly 200yds in their TRC victory(55-28) over 2A West Bladen(4-5 & 2-5)...The Bulldogs will travel to Whiteville this friday for the TRC Game of the Week...In other TRC action, 2A Red Springs(5-4 & 4-3) won a hard fought(18-12) game at 2A Fairmont(3-6 & 2-5)...

1A/2A Coastal-8(3)
----------------------
In Jacksonville, 2A SW Onslow(6-3 & 5-0) recorded their 2nd straight shutout(49-0), and held 2A Richlands(6-3 & 4-1) to a little over 100yds of total offense in taking a big step toward their first conference title since 2008..Meanwhile, 1A East Carteret(6-3 & 3-2) coasted to a 24-6 win over 1A Pender County (4-5 & 2-3) to secure the top 1A spot in the C-8...In other C-8 action, 2A Heide Trask(7-2 & 4-1) QB Jak Johnson rushed for over 130yds and 4TDs as the Titans matched the most wins in school history with a 47-21 win over 2A Dixon(1-8 & 0-5), and will try to make some more history this week when they host Croatan(3-7 & 2-3) who smashed(51-8) 1A Lejeune(0-10 & 0-5) in Newport...

1A/2A NCC(2)
-------------------
Playing with a lot of inspiration for their Head Coach Mike Hobgood who is sidelined from a recent Heart Attack, 2A South Granville(9-0 & 6-0) rallied past(37-26) host 2A Bunn(6-3 & 5-1) and into the historic record books with their 9th straight win to take control of the NCC as they pursue their first conference title since 2008...In other NCC action, 2A Warren County(7-3 & 5-2) edged(32-30) 2A S.Vance(5-5 & 4-3).. 2A Roanoke Rapids(7-2 & 4-2) was Idle last week....Meanwhile, 1A Granville Central(4-5 & 2-4) shutout(21-0) 2A N.Vance(1-8 & 1-5) on the road, while 2A J.F.Webb(2-7 & 1-5) picked-up their first NCC win(23-14) at 1A Louisburg(1-8 & 0-6).....

Corrections, Comments and Opinions as always are welcomed!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
Can’t even imagine how long this takes you but I enjoy reading every week

Thanks for the comments....My brother and I actually attended the Cherokee/Robbinsville game, and sat on the Cherokee side for the first half, and stood at the end of the endzone for the 2nd half, so we could leave early if the game got out of hand since I had to work, and get up early saturday morining....We stayed until that final TD pass from Mintz to his brother Cade in the final mins of the game, and listened to the final minute or so on the local station as we were leaving Cherokee....It was great crowd, and a very physical game, and hope the young man from Robbinsville who got hurt on the pass to the endzone was not hurt too bad?...We both thought that both defenses played great with Robbinsville RB Anderson and WR #86(Orr I think?) playing great along with Cherokee;s QB Mintz and his WRs who were equally good. The D-lineman Phillips and Bradley for Robbinsville may be the two best DL in the SMC?....#70 and #20 also look like a couple All-SMC type players for Cherokee on defense, and both had a great game along with a couple other Cherokee lineman....Very entertaining game for sure....Good luck to your Braves the next couple weeks as it should be another great game against Murphy to finish the regular season....Who knows?....My brother and I may have to make another trip to Cherokee for that one?

You just gotta love H.S. Football, and some of the great matchups each week....I know that I do!

Roar Tigers Roar!

I appreciate it . Come find me next gsme love to meet you. We broke out black unis and all Friday . It’s been a while since big games been played at Cherokee so I am sure enjoying it in football

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
I appreciate it . Come find me next gsme love to meet you. We broke out black unis and all Friday . It’s been a while since big games been played at Cherokee so I am sure enjoying it in football

Will enjoy meeting you as well BravesGWY!...Must admit that the trip to the Reservation the other night left me feeling a little old...As we passed the old school that is being torn down, I had memories of when it was built...That year I was a Senior at Rosman, and we played twice on that field that season....Once in a preseason scrimmage and during the regular season later that year against the Braves...Me and my teammates may have been the first opponent to ever swim in that Olympic sized swimming pool when our game was postponed that friday night after the team bus had already left for Cherokee...Of Course, there were NO Cell Phones back in those days....Doyce Cannon was the Head Coach at that time for Cherokee, and he told Coach Mark Manuel that our team was welcome to swim in the pool since the new football field was too wet to play the game, so me and my teammates took a swim in the Pool that friday instead of playing a football game against the Braves....We came back over on that following monday, and lost 9-7 to your Braves...I recovered a Braves' fumble on that field during the game, but neither team could generate a lot of offense that monday night....It really is amazing how the years just fly by once those playing days are over, so my message to all kids who play the sport of Football is enjoy the experience with your team, coaches, family and friends because time is not our friend, and one day you too will have reflections as I do on what your experiences were like back when you were in High School, and were playing the sport of Football...

Roar Tigers Roar!

Thanks for the updates, great job

Your welcome....Glad you enjoy it, and I'm happy to do it...

My brother and I were also at the Mitchell/Mountain Heritage game a couple weeks back, and thought your Mountaineers were only a couple plays away from making it really uncomfortable for the Cougars....The supposed fumble by your QB in the first half with your team driving caught us both by surprise, and was a play that really changed the momentum of the game that night....If Mitchell had scored on that possession as it looked as though they were going to, the game could have changed with it?....But props to the Cougars for ripping the ball away from Young on that play..For the record, I thought Young should have been ruled down by contact on the play, but the official thought otherwise, so the play stood as called....I know Young and your Coach were not happy about the result of that play, and who would blame them because it was a crucial play in that game for sure....To be truthful, I'm still not certain the Mountaineers would have won the game if that call had not been made because the Robinson kid for Mountain Heritage is just too tough, and experienced to be stopped on most of the plays where he runs the ball, but it could most definitely have made for a much more memorable finish IMO....

It was quite an atmosphere that night in Burnsville, and one that both I and my brother enjoyed....

Your team will be very dangerous come playoff time with the WRs that young has at his disposal along with the Robinson and Pitman kid in the backfield....Good luck to your Mountaineers the rest of the season and in the playoffs...

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: wncbowhunter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT