ADVERTISEMENT

The game u remember the .most

Myself it would be dudley vs jtbarber in 66 state championship game.I was 12 it was played at nbhs.the nchsac moved the game because of said our stadium was not up to par..this was before integration.6. 6tie.a lot the players were older guys I knew.

I remember a game during that era when Rohanen High out of East Rockingham defeated Farmville 22-21 on 2pat at end of game...I was about 12 too...These games don't seem to count anymore when asked about old games n stuff.

Mallard Creek down by 30 with less than 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

I remember a game during that era when Rohanen High out of East Rockingham defeated Farmville 22-21 on 2pat at end of game...I was about 12 too...These games don't seem to count anymore when asked about old games n stuff.
Ben=badd, believe it or not I remember that game very well. My college roommate was from Farmville. About a year ago I sent him some old newspaper clippings of the game. Seems that one of the Farmville players had been a close neighbor of his.
Of the old games the one that I remember was the Rockingham-Hamlet game in 1963. Rockingham was undefeated going into this final game of the regular season. Hamlet had a 6-0 lead and was at the two yard line threatening to score again. After a holding penalty they tried a pass into the end zone. The defensive back picked off the pass and went 101 yards for the score. The extra point was good and Rockingham won 7-6. This was probably in the first quarter or early 2nd quarter. The game went scoreless the remainder of the game. Rockingham did not get past the 50 yard line all night.Two weeks later the two teams played for the Eastern Championship. Rockingham won 13-0
As for more recent games probably the Richmond Crest double over time game. Raiders went for two and barely made it. Or the 1990 miracle catch game against West Forsyth. Raiders scored on last play of the game on a deflected pass to win 9-7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben-Badd
Yea, I never missed a game back then...don't know how I did it but from age 12 up I was at a game...Are good , Eric Davis scored the 2 pt. Pat that won that game. He and I were good friends then and now. He was older.and I guess the pass of 1990 was the biggest thriller...we were out of time.

AreGood I was a Red Ram in those days, but we never beat the Rockets that I can recall. That 7-6game was as close as we got.

AreGood I was a Red Ram in those days, but we never beat the Rockets that I can recall. That 7-6game was as close as we got.
Ben-badd Rockingham's streak was over a a 25 year period, During that time I believe there were 27 games Rockingham won 25 and there were two ties. There were a lot of close games during that period. I think Bill Eutsler was experimenting with what became Raider Magic. During that game in 1963 my friend Coach Charlie Bishop designed a defense that stopped our All American fullback and his backup who was all state the next year. Coach Bishop was a great coach. I got to know him well when we worked together at Richmond. I was on that team. Notice I said I was on the team, not that I played. I was so small that they often used me for the football.

Lol..I was water boy a few times...or should I say manager... I always admired coach Bishop...I got to know him better in the latter years... he was smart, and down to earth.

U raiders have a rich history. Would u b willing to come2 the bern we been 2 u tried u said no

Lol..I was water boy a few times...or should I say manager... I always admired coach Bishop...I got to know him better in the latter years... he was smart, and down to earth.
Ask my Scotland friends about Coach Bishop and his 3 sons

are good. i agree. I do know of anyone that came back. hell i am old too . 6 decades plus some. Have a nice day. gotta warm up my swanson tv dinner and make me a glass of tang

Gentlemen, we are quite blessed to be able to share those memories and hopefully create more, fore there are alot of guys that I grew up with that have passed on n gone...GO RAIDERS...

oh how can we 4 get spent all that money on da trip , tipping all of them waitresses, 3 day hotels rooms, da party bus, and we get 2 da game got out in da middle of da 1st quarter of da game and da ticket taker at da gate told us not 2 by a ticket because them SCOTS had already gave da NEW BERN there beat down so we pack back in da bus and return 2 rdu to get ready and return home

Several come to mind for me.
2010- Catholic vs Country Day: 50th Cook Cup between the Cougars and Bucs. Packed house at Keffer with CD looking for a 5th straight win. Catholic ties it on a hailmary with no time left to send the game into OT. Finally stops CD on 4th down in the second OT to win. Students rushed the field, one of the most insane games I've ever seen.
2014- Catholic vs Vance: Regional Final at Catholic. Vance got up early and Catholic fought back to take a late lead. Vance ends up scoring with 10 seconds left roughly. Brand decides to go for 2 and the win instead of going for the tie and OT. LB audibles defense and QB runs out to the right fires a pass to the goal line and the LB who audibled the play Matt White steps in front, picks off the pass and sends Catholic to the state title game with a 35-34 W over Vance.
2015- Catholic vs Vance Pt 2: The Cougars and Vance meet in the first round in a 3/14 matchup. Back and forth game which goes into OT. Catholic scores first but misses the XP. Vance scores right away and gets the XP to "win," but CC LB Xander Gagnon was offsides a penalty that you cannot decline. Vance tries XP again and misses! Catholic scores in OT then stops Vance to win and escape.
2015- Catholic vs Rose: Catholic getting to a state title game and finally winning it. Very, very sweet win! Scored with about a minute left, then a huge sack by Conner Miller on 4th down to seal the W for the Cougars.
All great games!

Reactions: Ben-Badd and nepsy7
Boy, that ct is an old cajun...did you say somethin about 1966?.. man that's old.

Sorry aregood
No problem remember the game we enjoy today would not exist if us old timers did not play and enjoy the game.
Another great game believe it or not Rockingham played Lumberton for the Co State Championship. In 1962. Lumberton was the Conference Champion. They tied Rockingham 7-7 during the regular season. Rockingham won the championship on a pass play with less than a minute left in the game. Can you believe Lumberton was Southeastern 3A champions that year. I would love to see their program come back to that level.

Last edited:
mr aregood we must be the oldest ones on here.Iremember going to see to games when I was little bitty boy. I remember meeting and seeing a gold medal winner.I had my kid,s in the library. I was bored so I began to read a book on satchel paige.low and behold there was a picture of him pitching to a midget. Damn as I little I saw satchel paige pitch as a little boy against the new bern giants, the indinapolis clowns. what great memories by the gold medal walt bellmany

mr aregood we must be the oldest ones on here.Iremember going to see to games when I was little bitty boy. I remember meeting and seeing a gold medal winner.I had my kid,s in the library. I was bored so I began to read a book on satchel paige.low and behold there was a picture of him pitching to a midget. Damn as I little I saw satchel paige pitch as a little boy against the new bern giants, the indinapolis clowns. what great memories by the gold medal walt bellmany
CT most likely we are. I am 71 and still enjoy football just as much as I did when I was a kid. My dad carried me to football and baseball games as early as 1956-56. My uncle who later became the AD at Richmond was playing. Rockingham was undefeated regular season in football only to lose the Eastern championship on yardage. A long run by the opposing team near the end of the game was the difference. In Basketball they were Conference Champions. and in Baseball they were State Champions. My uncle played all three sports and was all State in all of them. He played in both the East West and Shrine Bowl games. You could back then.He was later All ACC baseball at Wake Forest. No wonder I became a sports nut. Now I mostly stick with football.
This is what I don't like about what is going on now. The kids can really only participate in one or two at most sports. The games now dominate their lives. Seasons are much longer and practice is now a year round thing. Even what we have now is not enough for many sports nuts. This goes all the way to preschool.

Time gets away, but it's alot of fun...lol .CT, you and I are the same age and same likes...I love football and my music... well, you don't have to be 20 or 30 to enjoy the games...GO RAIDERS...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT