ADVERTISEMENT

The Future Of Tarboro Football

At the beginning of the year I was actually worried about the future of the program, but after doing my digging & understanding what Tarboro has it still looking great for us. Half of the players on varsity now that’s starting are sophomores & juniors & they have players on JV that’s balling. #24 on JV is a stud & Coach Craddock’s son Cole even though he broke his leg this season, he’s going to be a std also! Add to that sever coaches has told me that the middle school team that’s headed in is one of the best teams coming in years so it’ll be very interesting in the next few years.
Middle School did not allow any points this year I was told.

At the beginning of the year I was actually worried about the future of the program, but after doing my digging & understanding what Tarboro has it still looking great for us. Half of the players on varsity now that’s starting are sophomores & juniors & they have players on JV that’s balling. #24 on JV is a stud & Coach Craddock’s son Cole even though he broke his leg this season, he’s going to be a std also! Add to that sever coaches has told me that the middle school team that’s headed in is one of the best teams coming in years so it’ll be very interesting in the next few years.
As long as you stay in 1A yea...2A not so much, but still competitive tho

What’s the overall athletic program like for Tarboro? Are they competing for titles in other sports or is it football 12 months a year kind of school? I think there was a kid at the state wrestling tournament this past year. Do the girls teams have any success?
Nope lmbo... I heard their track team only had three boys on it this past season lol

It’s always puzzling to me anytime I see someone make a comment like that. No one is making you read it. If you don’t care, don’t read. Simple
Guys, get the edge please. That is not what Buzzcoach was implying. The "who cares" was most likely meant to say, your players come from where ever they come. There is so much recruiting out there, Tarboro's players are Tarboro's players. He was not putting you down. If anything he was defending you.

That’s what kills me when folks say, Tarboro had to go Down to win titles, I’m like , we literally went to the title game our last five years in 2a
Exactly lol. And the other part that makes me laugh is they act like we went and asked to drop down 🤣. When the only reason we dropped down was because of our adms dropping due to the prep school and Early college

Exactly lol. And the other part that makes me laugh is they act like we went and asked to drop down 🤣. When the only reason we dropped down was because of our adms dropping due to the prep school and Early college
Yep how many of the football players left for the ec
That happens in every classification

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Yep how many of the football players left for the ec
That happens in every classification
If any left it was very very few. A lot of the straight a students went to the early college and prep school. The prep school had a TON of hype around it but it's fallen off severely. I'm honestly surprised it's still open TBH. Matter of fact they had a football team for a very brief time but they were not good.

Last edited:
People hate tarboro so much man lol it's almost funny at this point
Yep people hate successful programs because most of the time their schools aren’t good. It’s easier for them to try and bring another down than just give praise of how successful a program is and how extremely difficult it is to do year after year. The smaller schools are working twice as hard to remain on top than the larger schools. Theres just not as big a pool to choose from. Teams that are consistently good such as Tarboro, WRH, Murphy, Robbinsville, and so on are built on great community support, great feeder schools, great fundraising for team needs to succeed. It takes everyone to make it work and outsiders just don’t realize how much effort it actually takes because they never see that same effort from their programs.

Yep people hate successful programs because most of the time their schools aren’t good. It’s easier for them to try and bring another down than just give praise of how successful a program is and how extremely difficult it is to do year after year. The smaller schools are working twice as hard to remain on top than the larger schools. Theres just not as big a pool to choose from. Teams that are consistently good such as Tarboro, WRH, Murphy, Robbinsville, and so on are built on great community support, great feeder schools, great fundraising for team needs to succeed. It takes everyone to make it work and outsiders just don’t realize how much effort it actually takes because they never see that same effort from their programs.
I’d say most of the posters on this board have somewhat of a mutual respect for each other. There’s just two trolls from Robbinsville that post most of the negative things or complain about “advantages” another school has.

As a "westerner" I am like most that see the difference in level of competition between the two sides of the state, however, Tarboro is the major exception to that rule. The numbers/record don't lie. If their adms are 1a adms then I don't see any advantage. And I find nothing out of the ordinary, or dishonest in what they have done that would give the impression they have some unseen advantage. What I do see, that they do have, is a school similar to those consistently strong/dominant programs in the West such as Murphy and Robbinsville. They have a great tradition built upon the backs of good coaches and a "simpler is better, mastery of execution" philosophy that brings the best kids they do have out. In the whole of 1a, the fact is that until someone brings them down, Tarboro is the standard. That could potentially happen this year, but due to that fact alone the east/west argument is irrelevant.
Great post

I have followed Tarboro football dating back to 1984 when they were 3A. I remember seeing highlights when they went to Kannapolis to play them for the 3A State Championship. Kannapolis the 1 team in 3A at their place. Tarboro totally dominate Kannapolis 20-0. Kannapolis offense didn't even get a 1st down and a total of about 30 yards of offense. I have enjoyed Tarboro football since 1984. They have a proud tradition for football. They have always been very good for years. And yeah they might have had a few lean years from 1984 to 2021, but what other program hasn't.
I was a sophomore and member of the THS band in 1984. The Kannapolis game was truly magical. It was so damn cold that night, but I had more fun that night than any in my high school life. We had a pep rally in the gym at 3:30am in the gymnasium after all the buses returned from the game. The passion and love for our school and our football program runs deep. Thank you for bringing this memory up. I get a big silly grin on my face every time I think about it. I’m a 52-year-old man. That’s a lot of smiles.

I was a sophomore and member of the THS band in 1984. The Kannapolis game was truly magical. It was so damn cold that night, but I had more fun that night than any in my high school life. We had a pep rally in the gym at 3:30am in the gymnasium after all the buses returned from the game. The passion and love for our school and our football program runs deep. Thank you for bringing this memory up. I get a big silly grin on my face every time I think about it. I’m a 52-year-old man. That’s a lot of smiles.
I'm a young guy wasn't born yet to see that 84 team go to kannapolis and see them do what they did. A 3:30 am pep rally wow lol I don't know if we'll ever have a pep rally that late anymore 😂. For me the 2017 state championship tarboro team has a special place in my heart. I graduated with that senior class that was on that state championship team and they got pulled up as sophomores and the expectations for them were exceptionally high. They came up short their sophomore year junior year we lost to Wallace in the regional final in a game that slipped away in the second half. But I just remember going into that senior year nothing was going to deny them and sure enough we got to the State title game. I remember that game like yesterday it was snowing looked like a scene out of a Lambeau field but tarboro brought it home by beating a really good Mount airy team.

I find the Tarboro posters to be modest as well. Most are complimentary of other programs. Love their tradition and am a little envoius of their success.
I'll argue that numbers are significant, but I believe that having a winning culture and heritage, such as Tarboro's, is the most crucial factor. Children in Tarboro want to be a part of the football program from the age of eight because they've witnessed the success and want a share of the pie. When a community's network of players is established, tradition grows. This is where Tarboro stand as we speak.

Tarboro's legacy of State Championships started in 1984 with a team, no big individuals just teamwork. All senior line and 4-year starter at QB were determined to win or die trying. then in 2009 after making the Championship Game in 2008, Tarboro was back with a team of players that believed nobody could stop them and after a close game against SWE and loss, the Vikings went on a run of blowouts and big wins on its way back to Chapel Hill. That team's Oline rivaled most small colleges in size and play and dominated Mountain Heritage in the State Championship, That team was built by sons, cousins, or kin to a lot of the players from 1984, and that started a several-year run of Titles. This was before the Gurley years of 2010 and 2011
This year was the fourteenth consecutive year Tarboro has practiced on Thanksgiving day this in itself is a major accomplishment. But more than that is to see Coaches such as Don Reams, Ken Cox, and Wayne Cherry who were major coaches in 1984 and are still on staff today. As a member of the 1984 team, I am more proud to say that my sons played at Tarboro and were coached by and were a part of the Legacy that Jeff Craddock has built. He is a man of God and a genuinely great man!
Marty T Pittman #55 1984 Center

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT