ADVERTISEMENT

The cost of winning and hosting playoff football games

Football pays for a lot of sports. Football does not make the money that many think. One thing I think they missed is that often the concessions can do well at games but with less people, less profit there, also.

Catch 22. Travel, lack of gates especially in early rounds, playing conference opponents early rounds, playing different teams. Teams that do not realisitically have a chance to win a playoff game.

Is this another reason to look at lowering the number of playoff participants? 256 to 192 is a great start. Six state titles from eight. Another reason not to add to the non football playoffs, stay at four classes.

My buddy David Gentry, "it's a good problem to have."

These are the types of issues that he and others need to push before the NCHSAA and Board of Directors. Coach Gentry is on the board and has some great ideas but they have to get coaches, ADs, principals, and superintendents to work together.

Football pays for a lot of sports. Football does not make the money that many think. One thing I think they missed is that often the concessions can do well at games but with less people, less profit there, also.

Catch 22. Travel, lack of gates especially in early rounds, playing conference opponents early rounds, playing different teams. Teams that do not realisitically have a chance to win a playoff game.

Is this another reason to look at lowering the number of playoff participants? 256 to 192 is a great start. Six state titles from eight. Another reason not to add to the non football playoffs, stay at four classes.

I definitely feel the NCHSAA should only get the $1.00/ticket and not the 15% of the gate unless they share in the overhead to put the game on, lights and officials at least.

Maybe lower the cut of the gate to 25% for the visiting teams. I truly believe it would be a motivator to be a better team and more affordable in hosting playoff games.

I definitely feel the NCHSAA should only get the $1.00/ticket and not the 15% of the gate unless they share in the overhead to put the game on, lights and officials at least.

Maybe lower the cut of the gate to 25% for the visiting teams. I truly believe it would be a motivator to be a better team and more affordable in hosting playoff games.

There are definitely arguments to be made. Football is a big financial part of all sports both on the local high school level and at the NCHSAA level. No football money would make it tough for a lot of the other championships that draw very limited crowds.

Either their concession stand is garbage or they have a problem getting fans to come watch a home game. But the state doesn't take the entire gate only a percentage. If your concession stand isn't making 3-4 thousand a home game, you ain't doing it right. Maybe he is just speaking for His school when he said that.

Reactions: TigerDen1
A playoff game divides up by taking the total gate receipts plus any media coverage payments. $1 per ticket to the endowment fund. Then 15% of what is left goes to the NCHSAA. The allowable expenses are subtracted. The visting school receives travel reimbursement for mileage and if over 150 miles they are allowed $370 for hotel. After that the two teams split the gate.

There are no season passes allowed so more gate is paid for a comparable attendance regular season game. Most schools do fairly well on the concessions but that depends greatly on the crowd.

I do not know of many teams that ever use the hotel room unless they are looking at over 300 miles and I doubt then accept for a state title game played early in the day.

I think a lot of the cost comes in when schools take bands and cheerleaders plus if Murphy is playing at noon or 2pm in a state title game they are spending the night.

Many schools are taking a charter on longer trips which costs more but the coach is trying to put themselves in the best position to win the game.

I’m with gwy, no way home teams ain’t making money , at worst 1k people paying 7 bucks is 7k. No way they spend more than that plus concessions sorry if you give the band or glee club the concession stand

It's really disgraceful that a team is losing money playing for a state title...It's a reward for sure for the team but not the atheletic program as a whole if that's the case...

What happens if the NCHSAA is taken out of the picture altogether for the title games, and let the home team host the championships, and keep all the gate receipts, and pay the visitor out of that money?....Rotate the championships from East to West as used to be the case....I wonder how the old system compares with today's 4 venues for the championships?....I don't ever remember teams losing money back then as compared to today?....Teams playing for a championship of any kind should not be losing money....PERIOD!

Without the schools, there would be no need for the NCHSAA, so the schools are the ones that need to be making a profit and not the NCHSAA and their endless staff and endowments that need to be paid....

Today's High School Football fan is unllike the Football fan of the past who would travel all over the state to watch his/her favorite team play, and maybe that IS because there are just too many playoff games, consisting of teams that shouldn't be in the playoffs in the first place, meaning the playoff field should be cut down to 32 teams for each championship with 1A-6A being the classes....I've thought since 2001, that 8 champions was too many, and was a watered-down format....The fact that teams are losing money makes me believe that even more today...

I agree that there needs to be something done about this situation because Football as pointed out above is the money maker for a school's entire atheletic program, and the Coaches and the NCHSAA need to figure out a way where it is going to be profitable for a school to make the playoffs....Otherwise, what is the benefit to the school if their claim to a successful season results in the school actually losing money....How can that be deemed successful if that's the case?

Last edited:
It's really disgraceful that a team is losing money playing for a state title...It's a reward for sure for the team but not the atheletic program as a whole if that's the case...

What happens if the NCHSAA is taken out of the picture altogether for the title games, and let the home team host the championships, and keep all the gate receipts, and pay the visitor out of that money?....Rotate the championships from East to West as used to be the case....I wonder how the old system compares with today's 4 venues for the championships?....I don't ever remember teams losing money back then as compared to today?....Teams playing for a championship of any kind should not be losing money....PERIOD!

Without the schools, there would be no need for the NCHSAA, so the schools are the ones that need to be making a profit and not the NCHSAA and their endless staff and endowments that needs to be paid....

Today's High School Football fan is unllike the Football fan of the past who would travel all over the state to watch his/her favorite team play, and maybe that IS because there are just too many playoff games, consisting of teams that shouldn't be in the playoffs in the first place, meaning the playoff field should be cut down to 32 teams for each championship with 1A-6A being the classes....I've thought since 2001, that 8 champions was too many, and was a watered-down format....The fact that teams are losing money makes me believe that even more today...

I agree that there needs to be something done about this situation because Football as pointed out above is the money maker for a school's entire atheletic program, and the Coaches and the NCHSAA need to figure out a way where it is going to be profitable for a school to make the playoffs....Otherwise, what is the benefit to the school if their claim to a successful season results in the school actually losing money....How can that be deemed successful if that's the case?
Great post as usual . I agree and have said many times we should have a 1A-6A instead of this 1A 1AA thru 4A 4AA 8 championships .

I have been up close to many a third round playoff games in my life. You 1A schools with an identity will have nice home crowds this weekend, bet most home sides are not full. This is a tough weekend with all the family travel and school not in. For sure visitors side will be sparse. Not picking on East Surry, but that is a haul to Murphy. I have been to East Surry, even this year, they have tremendous support. But that is a long drive, I betting by charter at about $1500+ per bus. So 2 buses $3000+. Really adds up quick. On trip like that probably have to feed them 3 meals.

I was at a 8-3 vs. 11-1 4A game last Friday that visitors had maybe 100 fans, Home side half full. May not sound like a lot but $7 a person x 4 plus food, you are at about $60-$75. Starts adding up.

Hoping everyone has a packed stadium and your team wins and you make a lot of money.

Just my 2 cents, thanks for letting me post.

Great post as usual . I agree and have said many times we should have a 1A-6A instead of this 1A 1AA thru 4A 4AA 8 championships .

Why are the schools so against dropping playoff teams and championships? All I hear is people say it is the NCHSAA and making money when the NCHSAA admin is the one presenting options to reduce both or one of these. Have seen a couple of great proposals and nothing but groaning and complaints.

If the schools are not making money why do they want to be in the playoffs or have five game instead of four on a title game run? Do coaches want the extra game to coach their players and the hope of getting hot? Does it look good on the resume?

Without the schools, there would be no need for the NCHSAA, so the schools are the ones that need to be making a profit and not the NCHSAA and their endless staff and endowments that need to be paid....

If you are a high school football coach and someone made this proposal: "you can win a state title 300 miles from home and make zero dollars or you can lose at home and net $10,000 for the program" which do you think he is going to choose? I believe overwhelmingly they are going for a title. I know the players want the ring.

I do not like the big college stadiums but I want the centralized title games. I attended three title games under the home team format including the one that is noted as causing the NCHSAA to start looking at moving the games to the college stadiums. I want the title game to be as fair as possible to both teams. I am more concerned about the players "experience" than I am the fans although I want the fans to be taken care of also. I have heard the roar to play the game at one of the schools and how great it would be. I also know the logistical issues and the other things that can make it a catastrophe for the visitors. The geography of NC makes it tough especially for the very far western teams.

I think one thing that continues to be a big hurdle is that 1A schools do not want to be treated different than the other three classes but I think they should look at some other options. Four rounds of playoffs allowing them to finish the week before the other three classes and give them a day to themselves. Look at some larger high school stadiums and smaller college stadiums This has been put forth and there was a lot of negative feedback. Also, push for a smaller stadium farther from the Triad and Triangle alternating years from east to west but do not take it to the extreme such as East Carolina (also too big) or an hour west of Asheville.

1A-6A is what I now support as well - 192 playoff teams or even less would be ok with me. Too many teams with losing records getting in now.

Go back to the 25% splits for the realignment.
Qualify 48 teams from each class. 192 teams total.
List them 1-192. Divide into six divisions.
Largest 32 is D1. Smallest 32 is D6.
Play five rounds.
Use two facilities for the title games.

If they stay with the current 20/30/30/20 realignment split qualify less 1A and 4A and fill out the 192 with additional teams from 2A and 3A.

Now let's require every school to vote on this format and I feel confident it would not pass.

If you are a high school football coach and someone made this proposal: "you can win a state title 300 miles from home and make zero dollars or you can lose at home and net $10,000 for the program" which do you think he is going to choose? I believe overwhelmingly they are going for a title. I know the players want the ring.

I do not like the big college stadiums but I want the centralized title games. I attended three title games under the home team format including the one that is noted as causing the NCHSAA to start looking at moving the games to the college stadiums. I want the title game to be as fair as possible to both teams. I am more concerned about the players "experience" than I am the fans although I want the fans to be taken care of also. I have heard the roar to play the game at one of the schools and how great it would be. I also know the logistical issues and the other things that can make it a catastrophe for the visitors. The geography of NC makes it tough especially for the very far western teams.

btango, I've always liked your idea of 5 rounds for the 1A schools, but I still think that the championship games should be played at the home venues of the teams rotating from East to West....It should be a reward for the teams, the fans and the local businesses to be able to host a state title game in their area....As you mentioned, I have NO problem with the 2A-4A games being located centrally because most of those schools are located more toward the center of the state than are the 1A schools that are mostly located along the western and eastern edges of the state with the exception of the YVC which is pretty much centrally located....I like the idea of changing to a 1A-6A Class format with the biggest and smallest classes awarding only 32 teams a playoff spot, but the central location for 1A schools cost both the home and visitors money, and the fans have to spend an inordinate amount of money as well to attend these games due to the extended travel....If the games were rotated from year to year as used to be the case, one school would at least make some money whether they won the title or not, and I think it could also be worked out where the visitor could make some money as well if the ENTIRE gate receipts for the championship games went to the hosting school for the championship....I know that security has always been used as an excuse for the reason why this setup doesn't happen, but I'm not buying that issue for the 1A schools, and think the local law enforcement could, and likely would be willing to take on that task because a lot of those policeman/deputies would likely have friends or even relatives playing for the local teams of the smaller schools in their area of enforcement...

I just think the NCHSAA has gotten too big, and the staff needs to be reduced instead of expanded which of course cost all the schools more money due to salaries and benefits for that expanded staff....I wasn't sure that I would like the new format that got Maxpreps involved, but I think that it might be a good concept moving forward with the ranking of the teams, and I also think that it now opens the door to a new idea of locating schools of different classes in the same conference because those smaller schools would NO longer be penalized come playoff time if their conference is strong...

The expanded playoff format that began back in 2001 has offered more job security for coaches because they can rightfully claim that their teams made the playoffs essentially every year...That changed somewhat this year with the format of inviting only 48 teams, but there are still too many 1A teams qualifying for the playoffs IMO, and I believe this is still a factor in the first round games which leads to smaller gate receipts for the team that is hosting....And the BYES are costing the higher seeded teams money in the first round which is also not a good idea....

Making the playoffs should be a reward for a great season, and teams with losing records have no business making the playoffs IMO, and should not be rewarded as such....My opinion of that will never change even if it means that my Rosman Tigers only make the playoffs once in a blue moon...

Fans today are not the fans of our fathers and grandfathers because there are so many more options for today's young people, and the attention span of today's generation is a lot shorter than year's past...In other words, people/fans are not going to attend playoff games where they generally already know what the outcome will be when a team with a losing record meets one of the higher seeded teams, so they will generally stay at home for those games, and attend a more compelling game the next round or two..I think that is part of the problem, and that problem can be solved possibilly if the playoff field is reduced to qualify only 32 deserving teams with the championship site located at the school and NOT a centralized location in the middle of the state which is in most cases 100's of miles from both the home and visitors fanbase....

Just my two cents....

Last edited:
btango, I've always liked your idea of 5 rounds for the 1A schools, but I still think that the championship games should be played at the home venues of the teams rotating from East to West....It should be a reward for the teams, the fans and the local businesses to be able to host a state title game in their area....As you mentioned, I have NO problem with the 2A-4A games being located centrally because most of those schools are located more toward the center of the state than are the 1A schools that are mostly located along the western and eastern edges of the state with the exception of the YVC which is pretty much centrally located....I like the idea of changing to a 1A-6A Class format with the biggest and smallest classes awarding only 32 teams a playoff spot, but the central location for 1A schools cost both the home and visitors money, and the fans have to spend an inordinate amount of money as well to attend these games due to the extended travel....If the games were rotated from year to year as used to be the case, one school would at least make some money whether they won the title or not, and I think it could also be worked out where the visitor could make some money as well if the ENTIRE gate receipts for the championship games went to the hosting school for the championship....I know that security has always been used as an excuse for the reason why this setup doesn't happen, but I'm not buying that issue for the 1A schools, and think the local law enforcement could, and likely would be willing to take on that task because a lot of those policeman/deputies would likely have friends or even relatives playing for the local teams of the smaller schools in their area of enforcement...

I just think the NCHSAA has gotten too big, and the staff needs to be reduced instead of expanded which of course cost all the schools more money due to salaries and benefits for that expanded staff....I wasn't sure that I would like the new format that got Maxpreps involved, but I think that it might be a good concept moving forward with the ranking of the teams, and I also think that it now opens the door to a new idea of locating schools of different classes in the same conference because those smaller schools would NO longer be penalized come playoff time if their conference is strong...

The expanded playoff format that began back in 2001 has offered more job security for coaches because they can rightfully claim that their teams made the playoffs essentially every year...That changed somewhat this year with the format of inviting only 48 teams, but there are still too many 1A teams qualifying for the playoffs IMO, and I believe this is still a factor in the first round games which leads to smaller gate receipts for the team that is hosting....And the BYES are costing the higher seeded teams money in the first round which is also not a good idea....

Making the playoffs should be a reward for a great season, and teams with losing records have no business making the playoffs IMO, and should not be rewarded as such....My opinion of that will never change even if it means that my Rosman Tigers only make the playoffs once in a blue moon...

Fans today are not the fans of our fathers and grandfathers because there are so many more options for today's young people, and the attention span of today's generation is a lot shorter than year's past...In other words, people/fans are not going to attend playoff games where they generally already know what the outcome will be when a team with a losing record meets one of the higher seeded teams, so they will generally stay at home for those games, and attend a more compelling game the next round or two..I think that is part of the problem, and that problem can be solved possibilly if the playoff field is reduced to qualify only 32 deserving teams with the championship site located at the school and NOT a centralized location in the middle of the state which is in most cases 100's of miles from both the home and visitors fanbase....

Just my two cents....
Rick, I agree with most of your remarks, especially about the size of the NCHSAA. Interested in your take on a couple issues.
Do you agree that, with everything else being equal, a team that has to travel 7-8 hours one way is at a competitive disadvantage? If so, picture this hypothetical, but current example:
Suppose this is the year for the east to host the championship.
Suppose that Pamlico (9-4) pulls the upsets and represents the east.
Suppose Cherokee (11-1) wins the west.
Cherokee would travel almost 8 hours one way to play for a state championship, simply because it is the east’s turn to host.
There are many fans who can’t take time from work, pay to travel and pay for a hotel room, even for a state championship. But they could justify a 3-4 hour trip to the center of the state and return home the same day.
More importantly, is it fair to the kids who have excelled all year long, but are put a tremendous disadvantage due to geography and the luck of the draw?

I remember the Thomasville-Eastern Randolph game in 1983. About 30 minutes from my home, but I knew the game was big for both teams and their fanbases. I arrived about three hours before game time, only to find that the best I could do was a blanket on the ground, five yards deep into the end zone. Reportedly, it was a great game, but I only saw the part of it that took place inside the thirty yard line on my end. The game could easily have been moved to Simeon Stadium in High Point, neutral and close for both schools. Granted, these teams were 3-A, but the same concern applies to all classifications in stadiums that can’t support a state championship crowd and are a great distance for one school.
In short, I hope we never return to that old formula, but interested in your thoughts.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
1A sports is on its own island...the Supers and Principals really need to get together and straighten this out....it seems like every year it’s something else and that’s when a fresh set of eyes and minds need to look at this...leave NCHSAA out of it....it’s over their heads

1A sports is on its own island...the Supers and Principals really need to get together and straighten this out....it seems like every year it’s something else and that’s when a fresh set of eyes and minds need to look at this...leave NCHSAA out of it....it’s over their heads

So the 1A schools from far western and far eastern NC will "straighten it out" with no central leadership? Doubtful. They cannot agree on many of the most simple things because they are work fir themselves not a group as a whole.

The first thing I normally hear is get rid of charters from 1A fans. The NCHSAA has basically been strong armed by the state legislature on charters. I believe if a group of twenty or so schools made a move out of the NCHSAA that was a push against charters they may find that no schools outside of their small "association" would work with or play them. Not because they do not want to but you are not going to poke Raleigh in the eye over "their baby". The legislature has changed conferences without the NCHSAA's knowledge until they did it causing a ripple effect that helped a few schools but resulted in problems for several others. When state reps can win points with their local constituents they do not work on behalf of people on the other side of the state.

I question a lot of what the NCHSAA does but at the end of the day the school's lack of ability to work together is not their making.

When the NCHSAA made, what I thought were some great suggestions, to the 1A schools a few years ago regarding the football playoffs the main response they got was the 1A schools did not want to be treated differently than the other three classes. This coming from the class that pushed for the subdivided playoffs and pod system. Do it complain about losing money st the gate when you fight tooth and nail to keep 64 of 76 teams in the playoffs. Do not complain about playing a "conference tournament" when you pushed for pods because of travel.

not all 1A did...little schools West and East pushed for that mess....there has to be some give/take on several issue & and I’m not to sit here and type for 20 mins about them...can’t keep saying when questioned “well the board decided”...that’s a cop out

ocdavis I am in full agreement! I saw 2A, 3A, and 4A title games on the high school campus and it was a cluster all four times.

To "meet" seating requirements schools bring in temporary bleachers which usually have bad site lines and do not meet the quality one would expect. No room in the press box, that is not heated, for anyone other than four coaches, scoreboard operator, and may be a home radio crew of two. Visiting radio crew being relegated to the top of the school building fifty feet outside the stadium in the end zone or sit in the stands. No printed stats fir the media. Lack of internet and electrical outlets for media and visiting radio crew. Nearly impossible fir potential tv telecast. The list goes on and on.

I do not like the huge college stadiums and would like to leave Duke, UNC, and NCSU but I will take those over forcing Tarboro to travel to Murphy or Cherokee to North Duplin. Imagine Robbinsville going to Pamlico. They would bring in temp bleachers on the visitors side to meet the minimum seating because their fifty seat set of bleachers would not be sufficient. I feel confident after that trip every Robbinsville fan would beg for the big ACC stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
From research I have been doing in the Asheville Citizen Times on newspapers dot com, many of the old format regional championship games were held at neutral sites like the old Asheville Memorial Stadium or Canton Memorial. While Boone weather is probably a little too extreme for a night playoff game, WCU, L-R, G-W, NC A&T would make good neutral sites with smaller seating. 4A could be played at A&T, Grimsley, or UNCC. Not sure what kind of facilities Campbell and Pembroke have but there are plenty of smaller college stadiums in NC that would make a better venue than a cavernous Carter-Finley or Kenan. I have heard it said and had it confirmed myself in 2009 when I went to Kenan to see Mtn Heritage and Tarboro that Carolina could care less about hosting the state playoffs.

Western Carolina and East Carolina are both too far to the west and east, Western more so, fir title games.

Campbell holds 5,500 but 75% or more of that is on the home side. Not really an overflow area like a hill. Great facility with turf. Pembroke is smaller, about 4,000 seats. It is also on the state line which is not very centrally located.

LR would be an excellent venue if they rotated the 1A title games between a Mid East and Mid West location. It holds over 8,000. Not sure what would be a strong potential Mid East location.

A&T does not appear to be interested, same as some other schools, because of potential playoff scheduling issues and field maintenance. Some colleges with grass fields do not want the field used after they finish their season. Do not see why two weeks and a few games would matter.

Grimsley holds 10k. That would be a bit tight for 4A games. Not sure if seating people on the grass is a great option in December but that is additional space. There have been some 4A games at Wake where fans were allowed to go into the upper sections. Triad would need to be Wake or A&T.

Rick, I agree with most of your remarks, especially about the size of the NCHSAA. Interested in your take on a couple issues.
Do you agree that, with everything else being equal, a team that has to travel 7-8 hours one way is at a competitive disadvantage? If so, picture this hypothetical, but current example:
Suppose this is the year for the east to host the championship.
Suppose that Pamlico (9-4) pulls the upsets and represents the east.
Suppose Cherokee (11-1) wins the west.
Cherokee would travel almost 8 hours one way to play for a state championship, simply because it is the east’s turn to host.
There are many fans who can’t take time from work, pay to travel and pay for a hotel room, even for a state championship. But they could justify a 3-4 hour trip to the center of the state and return home the same day.
More importantly, is it fair to the kids who have excelled all year long, but are put a tremendous disadvantage due to geography and the luck of the draw?

I remember the Thomasville-Eastern Randolph game in 1983. About 30 minutes from my home, but I knew the game was big for both teams and their fanbases. I arrived about three hours before game time, only to find that the best I could do was a blanket on the ground, five yards deep into the end zone. Reportedly, it was a great game, but I only saw the part of it that took place inside the thirty yard line on my end. The game could easily have been moved to Simeon Stadium in High Point, neutral and close for both schools. Granted, these teams were 3-A, but the same concern applies to all classifications in stadiums that can’t support a state championship crowd and are a great distance for one school.
In short, I hope we never return to that old formula, but interested in your thoughts.

Rosman took a lot of fans to Jamesville back in 1984 in their first ever state title appearance, and that was indeed a long trip for a championship game....1A school fans are very passionate about their teams because those schools are located in rural areas for the most part, and fans generally have an intimate relationship with those teams because they know a lot of the kids and their parents, or played football with some of their relatives at those schools, so fans will generally travel a greater distance if need be to watch those teams play, and it also becomes somewhat of an educational trip for those teams and their fans in visiting a part of our state that many have never seen before....Teams from the west like Murphy, Robbinsville, Swain or other SMC teams are already making nearly a 7 or 8 hour drive to play and watch championship games, and it's the same for schools like Plymouth, Manteo, East Carteret and other small schools located along the Eastern Coastlilne.... I'm sure fans of all those teams would love to either watch a championship or two at their home venues or a nearby small college venue rather than the present cavernous venues that they and their fans have to travel too in Raleigh, Chapel Hill or Winston-Salem which is still a long way from home for both teams and their fans....

I remember attending the state championship back in 1982 in Brevard between the Bluedevils and Bertie County, and just remember all the excitement in the town after the Bluedevils won the title....Fans blowing car horns with kids riding in jeeps or with their car windows down hollering and cheering....You don't get that at a bigger venue because fans can't even storm the fields after the game to celebrate with their teams....It's a lost tradition that makes the sport of football special and memorable....

I remember back in 1997, Rosman brought nearly 6,000 fans to Chapel Hill to watch Rosman play North Edgecombe, and all the Tiger fans stood and cheered for the Tiger players after the game, but could not console them or pat them on the back after that loss because Security would not let anyone near the field....That intimacy that had existed all season between the Tiger fans and that team was lost in that moment...After every big win and loss that season, Tiger fans could celebrate or console their players after that game, and that is lost at larger venues that are run more like a prison system instead of a championship game involving a bunch of High School kids and their fans....I understand the security issue, and I think it's a necessary standard for larger schools....

For instance, look at what has happened to Car Racing since the Car Owners took a lot of the races away from the smaller tracks, and awarded those races to bigger venues that were a long way from the fans that made the sport what it became....That sport is, and has been dying a slow death because the intimacy that fans used to have with the racers at those smaller tracks all but disappeared when the owners greed led them away from the one thing that made the sport special, and that was the fans that supported it....

The sport of High School Football depends on it's fans to not only support Football but to generate enough money to support the entire atheletic program as a whole in most cases....When fans start to disappear at those Football games, those schools and all their other sports' programs will suffer, and will be in trouble, and some schools could be forced to eliminate some sports' programs because of those lack of funds....I'm sure that has already happened, or will happen at some schools, so that is why this issue is so important....

Money is always a factor at small schools, and teams that play for championships should not be losing money....There are smarter people than I am, and I know there is surely a way that can be found that would resolve that issue if Coaches and the NCHSAA get serious enough about resolving it....

No school should lose money if it makes the title game..I myself kinda like seeing my Murphy Bulldogs play in a big stadium for a title but it can be a long haul from from Murphy.......first off cut the teams down in playoffs...no losing team should make the playoffs.....and put all the darn title games on TV statewide....I also like the idea for 1A to play a week earlier than other classes, it would give 1A their own day in the sun so to speak.....weather is also a factor,,people aint gonna sit in the cold if they don't consider it a big game.....state finals should be moved up to the first week in dec and thanksgiving weekend for 1A....you're really playing with fire weather wise by going 2 weeks deep into December for playoffs....more people will showup and buy tickets if games are played in better weather with losing teams cut at end of regular season.....just my 2 cents

I like a lot of the different opinions but now i’m looking what it might mean to the student athletes. I would go out on a limb and say it would be a dream for a player/team to get to play a State Championship in a Collegiate stadium. I know what your all trying to say but just look at it through the eyes of the players also. My Senior year in High School we played for the SMC Tournament Championship at WCU. It was a awesome feeling playing in a College gymnasium. I might be wrong but look at it from a different perspective, that of the athletes !!

While I agree with most of these post I do feel it's an unfair advantage to do an easy/west state championship game at one of the two teams playing. At that stage of the playoffs there are only 16 teams playing in all 4 brackets. Therefore it seems to me that somewhere approximately halfway between the two teams playing there would be a neuteral high school site large enough to hold all fans coming from both schools. Monitary concerns would be shared equally between both schools after paying the expenses of security, lighting extera. Also, the concessions could be given to the school where the game is being held. Finally as stated above my biggest concern is to take away the home field advantage from both schools. This would elemiate any unfair advantage to either school..

Badtiger

While I agree with most of these post I do feel it's an unfair advantage to do an easy/west state championship game at one of the two teams playing. At that stage of the playoffs there are only 16 teams playing in all 4 brackets. Therefore it seems to me that somewhere approximately halfway between the two teams playing there would be a neuteral high school site large enough to hold all fans coming from both schools. Monitary concerns would be shared equally between both schools after paying the expenses of security, lighting extera. Also, the concessions could be given to the school where the game is being held. Finally as stated above my biggest concern is to take away the home field advantage from both schools. This would elemiate any unfair advantage to either school..

Badtiger
I think the problem with that solution is finding a place with less than a week's notice. Few venues would reserve a date without an assurance much further in advance.

I think the problem with that solution is finding a place with less than a week's notice. Few venues would reserve a date without an assurance much further in advance.

That is was even an issue fir basketball last year in the regional semifinals. Football would be tougher due to field maintenance or lack of and prep, larger crowds, and potential in inclement weather.

Almost every example I have seen mentioned on the message boards has usually been studied by the NCHSAA. They have did numerous mockup of five and six classifications several times. They have also drawn up various playoff options. Neutral sites fir the football playoffs had been studied with central location, various aspects of seating, start times and days of games, dressing facilities, et al.

Western Carolina and East Carolina are both too far to the west and east, Western more so, fir title games.

Campbell holds 5,500 but 75% or more of that is on the home side. Not really an overflow area like a hill. Great facility with turf. Pembroke is smaller, about 4,000 seats. It is also on the state line which is not very centrally located.

LR would be an excellent venue if they rotated the 1A title games between a Mid East and Mid West location. It holds over 8,000. Not sure what would be a strong potential Mid East location.

A&T does not appear to be interested, same as some other schools, because of potential playoff scheduling issues and field maintenance. Some colleges with grass fields do not want the field used after they finish their season. Do not see why two weeks and a few games would matter.

Grimsley holds 10k. That would be a bit tight for 4A games. Not sure if seating people on the grass is a great option in December but that is additional space. There have been some 4A games at Wake where fans were allowed to go into the upper sections. Triad would need to be Wake or A&T.

How about Simeon Stadium in High Point. It is centrally located and also holds 10k and is used exclusively for High School so no conflict with FCS or D2 playoffs. Nice facilities that has hosted the summer East/West all star game several times. Would be great local at least for the 1A title games.

I would agree with Simeon for 1A. If you are going to Simeon, if available I would prefer Wake or A&T which are both less than thirty minutes away which is what I would think the players and coaches may prefer.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I am for any system that uses the current adm to split into 6 classes.

We all know that under the current system, you are in a classification that was determined by an adm that is now 6 or 7 years old.

I wouldn’t care if my team was playing the state championship in the parking lot of an abandoned Walmart. If my team is there, I am there.

People really do not understand things, even many coaches. At schools which draw big, football makes money no doubt. But at MANY smaller schools, football actually COSTS money. Obviously I believe, as most do, that the benefits for kids and community far outweigh this, but trust me it does happen at small schools or schools that dont draw well.

One reason is how much football COSTS. Equipment is crazy high, reconditioning of helmets each year is thousands of dollars, travel costs are nuts. Some counties charge their schools up to $1.50-$2 PER MILE on the activity bus. So if you take 2-3 buses 100 miles you may spend 300-400 bux. Some schools spend $30,000 per year for transportation for all sports.

On game night, another HUGE expense is law enforcement coverage. That costs a bundle, as do officials.Many smaller schools can actually LOSE money on game night.

If youre Wake Forest and you get 9,000 people to a game yes, you got it made. But at a small school with a crowd of only 300-500 folks (or less), you can go in the hole. Plus many fans get in as county employees, coaches passes, and booster passes (which pay up front but get no addtional money on game night).

Trust me when i say this is the case. And its the case at many schools in many sports.It costs and INSANE amount to run an athletic program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT