ADVERTISEMENT

The best season of Wilkes County Footbal teams

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
North Wilkes- I would say that might be the best team in their school history. True or false?

Wilkes Central- I am going to say 2007 was their best. True or false?

West Wilkes- I would say 2001was their best. True or false?

East Wilkes- Don't know maybe 1984. True or false?

Would someone like to Challange this topic.

Don't know that I would challenge any of this, but here are some things that I remember about Wilkes football:

North Wilkes made the state playoffs in 1973, and lost to (I think) Southern Guilford in the first round. North's field didn't meet specs, so they played the game at the old Memorial Park in North Wilkesboro, down beside the river, which was Wilkes Central's home field at the time. They also lost to Franklin in the old Division II playoff western finals back in the early 80's. Other than that, i can't remember North being very strong until a couple years ago for one season (2013?).

Wilkes Central won the old WNCHSAA championship back in 1960 or 61.

West Wilkes best team very well may have been 2001, although one of Mike Stewart's teams in the late 70's/early 80's won a couple playoff games.

I remember East Wilkes going 10-0 sometime in the early 80's, but they were playing in the incredibly weak Blue Ridge 2A conference at the time. They ended up getting shellacked in the first round of the playoffs by Newton Conover, who was only 6-4 or so. That may have been 1984.

The best East team that I ever saw was the one that played during the 81-82 school year. That team included Calloway that ended up starting at App. one wellborn at quarterback and the other at tight end. They also had a really good running back on that team. Unfortunately we were 2a then and they did not fair very well in the playoffs.

East Wilkes was 10-1 in 1981. Lost to Newton Conover 28-13 first Round Play-offs. That Might be their best record wise

North Wilkes- 2013 was their best season when it comes to accomplishments and length. They won the MVAC and made it to the second round. In '72 they played Maiden and lost 16-0. In '83 they were 4 points away from being in the Division 2 west finals that year. Franklin ended up winning. Besides those years and a couple years here and there in the late 80's they have been mostly a low ranked program.

W Central- 1962 they won the WNCHSAA title and lost by three from repeating in 1963. I'd consider that their best period when it comes to what matters. They joined the NCHSAA when the WNC closed in 1976. For a majority of years they were back and forth between good and bad until Funderbuke got there. He had the most successful period of wins.

But for just one season I'd say 1962.

West Wilkes- Hmm your right about the 1980 team winning they made it to round 2. Their best team stats wise was 2001 though. They were first team besides us to win the Mountain Valley solo that year, we split the conference the year before that after we blew the win by fumbling it away.

So my pick would be 2001.

East Wilkes- 1981 was their best year, no other year to compare. The 2004 team came close but they blew a couple of winnable games from winning at least 11.

Fun Fact/s: Oddly enough both East and North Wilkes after their best seasons went 0-10/11 the following year. In 1982 East's coach left and they fell apart to a 0-10 record while this past year North Wilkes had a lot of younger classmen play up due to lack of depth and finished 0-11.

West went 9-3 in 2002 and lost a winnable first round game while like I mentioned earlier Central was within 3 from repeating.

Thanks, Slash for the exact info. I was close, but trying to operate from memory, which in my case is operating with a handicap!

That 81-82 East Wilkes team is the best team in Wilkes county in the last 35 years. Yes they lost to Newton-Conover in the first round. But East had some injuries late in the year and Newton-Conover had just moved down to 2A. They brought a ton of players that night to Ronda.
This post was edited on 4/15 2:15 PM by Realfreedom

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT