ADVERTISEMENT

Tarboro vs North Edgecombe

Wouldn't surprise me to see Tarboro experiment quite a bit in this game. As for the game itself running clock. I'll be out of town I won't be able to make it to this one I don't think I'll miss much

Much respect to coach Murphy and what he is trying to build at North but they just don’t have the kids right now to compete. As the original poster pointed out, this use to be a game that many looked forward too but unfortunately it hasn’t been that way in a while. I’d be completely okay with dropping this game. I cannot imagine it’s a good gate anyway. With that said, another long night for the warriors.

Zzzzzz.......Huh...what? Did somebody say something? Oh....Tarboro by 100.

Much respect to coach Murphy and what he is trying to build at North but they just don’t have the kids right now to compete. As the original poster pointed out, this use to be a game that many looked forward too but unfortunately it hasn’t been that way in a while. I’d be completely okay with dropping this game. I cannot imagine it’s a good gate anyway. With that said, another long night for the warriors.
Do you know why NE does not currently have the kids to be more competitive? They certainly did not have that problem several years back when they were making deep playoff runs and winning a few state titles. It always baffles me how a program can fall off so much from what they used to be. Sure, a good bit of that can be coaching and how much effort the head man puts into the program. But that is not the sole and only reason.

Do you know why NE does not currently have the kids to be more competitive? They certainly did not have that problem several years back when they were making deep playoff runs and winning a few state titles. It always baffles me how a program can fall off so much from what they used to be. Sure, a good bit of that can be coaching and how much effort the head man puts into the program. But that is not the sole and only reason.
Well I don’t I know exactly because I was a young kid - but when Raymond Cobb left to go to Southwest is when North Edgecombe started going downhill and when Southwest started having a resurgence.

Did some digging…

North Edgecombe last 5 years of Cobb:
1999: 11-2
2000: 7-4
2001: 11-4
2002: 10-5
2003: 15-1

NE first 5 years after Cobb;
2004: 6-7
2005: 3-8
2006: 1-9
2007: 6-7
2008: 0-11

SWE 5 years before Cobb:
1999: 4-6
2000: 0-11
2001: 2-9
2002: 0-11
2003: 4-8

SWE first 5 with Cobb:
2004: 8-5
2005: 9-3
2006: 12-1
2007: 8-3
2008: 10-3

Coach Cobb leaving is the major factor, but enrollment in NE went down as well.

I love to nit-pick at the lack of title appearances by SWE, but it still surprises me to this day how none of those mid-2000s teams made it to a championship game. The talent on those teams was top notch. Raymond Cobb did a tremendous job revitalizing swe after a bad run in the 90s

In this instance, it was coaching 100%. When Cobb left NE and came to SWE, the fortunes of each program flipped. Immediately, they fell off and we climbed the mountain. Aside from an odd season here and there, it's been that way ever since.

I love to nit-pick at the lack of title appearances by SWE, but it still surprises me to this day how none of those mid-2000s teams made it to a championship game. The talent on those teams was top notch. Raymond Cobb did a tremendous job revitalizing swe after a bad run in the 90s
I always look down the road and say that if we were 1A, we'd have a few appearances at least. Not saying that Tarboro couldn't have won the 2A east brackets that we had to face, but I'm almost certain that we could have made it through a few of the 1A east brackets during that time. To this day, I still say we beat Kinston in the '16 east finals. We broke the plane on that 2pt conversion in overtime. Idc what the ref said. Then there was the blocked XP in overtime vs W. Alamance one year. A botched game winning fg attempt vs Reidsville another year. Sigh....we've had golden opportunities, that's for sure.

I always look down the road and say that if we were 1A, we'd have a few appearances at least. Not saying that Tarboro couldn't have won the 2A east brackets that we had to face, but I'm almost certain that we could have made it through a few of the 1A east brackets during that time. To this day, I still say we beat Kinston in the '16 east finals. We broke the plane on that 2pt conversion in overtime. Idc what the ref said. Then there was the blocked XP in overtime vs W. Alamance one year. A botched game winning fg attempt vs Reidsville another year. Sigh....we've had golden opportunities, that's for sure.
No doubt if those SWE teams had been in 1a back then they would have played for at least one state title. You'd have to deal with Wallace Rose Hill though. Maybe this is the year y'all can break through. I do feel like quite a few Tarboro fans would go if swe made it all the way. Depending on what time of day Tarboro would hopefully be playing lol

No doubt if those SWE teams had been in 1a back then they would have played for at least one state title. You'd have to deal with Wallace Rose Hill though. Maybe this is the year y'all can break through. I do feel like quite a few Tarboro fans would go if swe made it all the way. Depending on what time of day Tarboro would hopefully be playing lol
I'm not even trying to say that we'll do it this year. Starting to sound like Cowboy fans saying "this is our year" every single year. And Lord knows I don't want to have anything in common with a cowboy fan. Football season is insufferable enough with my wife being one of those delusional people😔.

I'm not even trying to say that we'll do it this year. Starting to sound like Cowboy fans saying "this is our year" every single year. And Lord knows I don't want to have anything in common with a cowboy fan. Football season is insufferable enough with my wife being one of those delusional people😔.
Tarboro the greatest 1a team in the state to me idc what anyone says one of the greatest schools in nc for football

In this instance, it was coaching 100%. When Cobb left NE and came to SWE, the fortunes of each program flipped. Immediately, they fell off and we climbed the mountain. Aside from an odd season here and there, it's been that way ever since.
I am always fascinated by this sort of thing. What was the "it" factor that Coach Cobb had that many other coaches do not have? The person that followed Cobb at NE should have copied every single thing he was doing to keep that program going in the right direction. The practices, off season work, weight room regimen....everything. I don't know if the folks that followed Cobb at NE just didn't put the time and effort into the program he did or what. His record clearly shows the talent is there in the NE district to field a very competitive team. I don't know if the simple answer is the people that followed him just did not care as much as he did.

I am always fascinated by this sort of thing. What was the "it" factor that Coach Cobb had that many other coaches do not have? The person that followed Cobb at NE should have copied every single thing he was doing to keep that program going in the right direction. The practices, off season work, weight room regimen....everything. I don't know if the folks that followed Cobb at NE just didn't put the time and effort into the program he did or what. His record clearly shows the talent is there in the NE district to field a very competitive team. I don't know if the simple answer is the people that followed him just did not care as much as he did.
"It" would be desire, dedication, and determination..And the fact is everybody wants to be part of a winner.. I graduated from SWE in 94. Alot of guys that could have been starting simply didn't play because the team was bad. And the coach was horrible. But we beat Tarboro in every sport except football and men's track. Those two sports Tarboro had better coaching than we did at SW. I do wonder why Rocky Babb hasn't went to North. I believe he graduated from there, not 100% sure though.

Reactions: fitguync30
"It" would be desire, dedication, and determination..And the fact is everybody wants to be part of a winner.. I graduated from SWE in 94. Alot of guys that could have been starting simply didn't play because the team was bad. And the coach was horrible. But we beat Tarboro in every sport except football and men's track. Those two sports Tarboro had better coaching than we did at SW. I do wonder why Rocky Babb hasn't went to North. I believe he graduated from there, not 100% sure though.
Would you rather be the OC at Tarboro or the HC at NE?

Would you rather be the OC at Tarboro or the HC at NE?
Head coach...for sure, but that's the dog in me. Ricky has learned from some of the best coaches in the state, including Cobb. He knows, or should know, how to run a program. I think he would do well at NE if he had the opportunity. I believe he would restore pride and have them competitive sooner rather than later.

Reactions: fitguync30
Head coach...for sure, but that's the dog in me. Ricky has learned from some of the best coaches in the state, including Cobb. He knows, or should know, how to run a program. I think he would do well at NE if he had the opportunity. I believe he would restore pride and have them competitive sooner rather than later.
Idk NE would be a hard sell. They have no resources. With the demerger they have players that live 30 minutes away from the school. They didn’t have a weight room a few years ago.

I just feel like NE would be a hard place for anybody to win at these days.

Idk NE would be a hard sell. They have no resources. With the demerger they have players that live 30 minutes away from the school. They didn’t have a weight room a few years ago.

I just feel like NE would be a hard place for anybody to win at these days.
Other than the Vikings, there's no elite competition in 1a ball in the East. I'd work something out with Planet Fitness or another gym if I had to for my players in Rocky Mount. I'd drop Tarboro and SWE and play Halifax schools to pad my wins until I was ready to go into the deep end of the pool. Get my kids confidence up by winning and build excitement in the school, and more importantly the parents. And when you win the parents, and have hungry kids, you will win. Not necessarily against Tarboro, but then all I need to be is in the opposite side of the bracket come playoff time to set up the "big game" in the county. It's not too hard to be the 2nd best team in 1a ball in the East right now.

Other than the Vikings, there's no elite competition in 1a ball in the East. I'd work something out with Planet Fitness or another gym if I had to for my players in Rocky Mount. I'd drop Tarboro and SWE and play Halifax schools to pad my wins until I was ready to go into the deep end of the pool. Get my kids confidence up by winning and build excitement in the school, and more importantly the parents. And when you win the parents, and have hungry kids, you will win. Not necessarily against Tarboro, but then all I need to be is in the opposite side of the bracket come playoff time to set up the "big game" in the county. It's not too hard to be the 2nd best team in 1a ball in the East right now.
Wilson Prep is on its way to being the second best 1A team. But then again, being a prep school is cheating. Don't know why RM Prep is so terrible.

Reactions: CrazyHeel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT