ADVERTISEMENT

Tarboro Jamboree Updates

TarVikes

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2017
Going to be out of town and can’t make it tonight. Would love to hear how all of the teams look..

Update:
Tarboro vs Rose: Tarboro 2-1
Tarboro vs Havelock: 1-1
Tarboro vs. FarmVille: Tarboro 2-1

We looked good on offense. Had some trouble with the pass. Was very impressed with several of the running backs. We came closer to scoring on havelock the second time than they did.

SWE should be fine on offense. Returning 8 starters on that side of the ball coming back from highest scoring team in school history at 39 ppg. Did lose our qb though. Defense is the main preseason focus. We return 5 starters, but as always, pass defense will probably be the weakest part. Not saying it's weak. Just the weakest part. Although it's been vastly improving over the last couple of years, we've never been GREAT great at pass defense. Fortunately, we don't see many pass heavy teams around here. But that also hurts us when we do run into one in the playoffs. If we don't get to the qb, we can be picked apart. Getting to the gunslinger and forcing him to make mistakes has been what creates success in our pass defense. Without pressuring the qb, receivers always tend to be wide open. I see Tarboro as the only real threat. SWE will have another fine year. All 3 Edgecombe County teams will be hosting 3rd round playoff games.

All the teams looked good at times. Its hard to tell because one team may have its 1st string offense on the field against the 2nd and 3rd stringers on defense. As was the case with SWE offense making huge plays against Roses JV squad. I didn't think Tarboro"s past defense was all that bad. Not many receptions made and a couple of int's. I know the coaching staff for Tarboro was subbing heavy all night. 3 different qb's and rotating linebackers in and out. North Edgecombe looked better than i've seen them in a scimmage. Was not real impressed with Havelock. Some Havelock fans said they were real young this year and the new coach was changing things up. Manteo had good moments. The running back for Farmville looks to be a stud. With eight teams playing it was fun to watch and as was talking to all the different fans.

Reactions: Cookieman50
All the teams looked good at times. Its hard to tell because one team may have its 1st string offense on the field against the 2nd and 3rd stringers on defense. As was the case with SWE offense making huge plays against Roses JV squad. I didn't think Tarboro"s past defense was all that bad. Not many receptions made and a couple of int's. I know the coaching staff for Tarboro was subbing heavy all night. 3 different qb's and rotating linebackers in and out. North Edgecombe looked better than i've seen them in a scimmage. Was not real impressed with Havelock. Some Havelock fans said they were real young this year and the new coach was changing things up. Manteo had good moments. The running back for Farmville looks to be a stud. With eight teams playing it was fun to watch and as was talking to all the different fans.
Tarboro rarely gets outside of its basic concepts on offense. I’m sure Craddock was very interested in getting his defense on the field with some offenses that throw the ball.

I wasn’t there but I feel like it’s harder for high school teams to defend the pass when they haven’t seen any film on it. Maybe In a normal week, when they can watch film on a team, it might help correct some of the mistakes they were making.

From what I saw of Farmville,running back all they got. He had minus yds against WRH in scrimmage

Reactions: bud33345
I don't think Farmville will do well this year.
They haven't been the same since the Dixon Sauls era.

Reactions: bud33345
From what I saw of Farmville,running back all they got. He had minus yds against WRH in scrimmage
That is a accurate assessment. Short is a outstanding back. Farmville has no returning Olinemen. Even if the big oline just gets in the way Short can beat most teams by himself. Farmville has to still find some defense to help Short. I predict they win 3 games this year. But Short is legit.

Reactions: dogs79
That is a accurate assessment. Short is a outstanding back. Farmville has no returning Olinemen. Even if the big oline just gets in the way Short can beat most teams by himself. Farmville has to still find some defense to help Short. I predict they win 3 games this year. But Short is legit.
Farmville also has Suggs, Owens, and Peterson in the backfield. Suggs has outstanding straight line speed and can make people miss but isn't as dynamic as Short in the open field. Owens and Peterson are more power style backs and can break one with decent blocking. That's the big question mark is the blocking. Bottom line is they have some athletes that any team in NC would feature in their offense. To Swe98's point they just haven't had great coaching that maximizes these juniors potential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT