ADVERTISEMENT

Successful Programs

Xman8balla

Oct 5, 2006
Charlotte NC
Have a system in place where kids are held to a high standard.There is a weight program in place kids have access to courts rather indoors or outdoors.There is skill development going on more then twice a week. Kids are not only playing during the season but going to camps and playing rec ball or aau or showcase ball to get more reps and exposure playing against other elite guys and teams. In June your program has to be either doing skill work as a team or playing in summer leagues or team camps. Really good programs do both. Coaches have to be committed year around to making sure that the kids who have grades and can play or want to play college ball get that chance by reporting stats or sending film to certain schools on that kids level. You do this the gap closes and no more wining will occur on this message board. Bishop Mcguiness head coach is a great guy and friend i have worked basketball camps with him and seen his aau teams he coaches in the offseason. He does basketball year around so does assistant coaches for Winston Salem Prep who coach with Cp3 on the nike eybl circuit.These program also schedule tough winston salem prep played the #2 team in usa today and loss but it was good exposure for kids and school. Winning starts off the court everyone see's the finish product but nobody see the sweat poured to get to that point. This post was edited on 12/1 7:09 AM by Xman8balla
This post was edited on 12/1 9:18 AM by Xman8balla

Can someone help this poor guy with his confusion by explaining the differences in boundary and non-boundary schools, I already tried to on another thread. I try to leave these guys and this subject alone until someone gets on here and starts trying to rationalize and referring to the truth as whining.

I do not ever remember anyone saying anything about prep, bishop, or any other school that has an unfair advantage not working, so why did this need to be brought up.

I Made a general statement my comments were not directed at you. I do not know you so I have nothing to go off besides what you post. Now I am fully aware of what you are saying. Here in charlotte we have a few schools called magnet schools who can bus in any freshman from all over the city. Yes its a benefit for the schools but it doesn't really factor in much. Now at the 1A Level I can see how it can as I replied to your post on the other message. You are right about the kids being able to go were they want in Winston. Here the thing though you can not fault the school or coaches for using this loop hole to there advantage because if the shoe was on the other foot you would too. For example if I had a son and got a job offer in a mountain town here in NC and had to send him to lets say mount airy. I am wrong for doing so being that my son is a good ball player? There must be something that those non-boundary schools are offering that is drawing those kids and families to there program. I am glad you guys are getting into the swing of things and starting to talk hoops but some of yall negative comments are not needed. I have no issue with nobody and will not name call or put any ones comment down. I have more class then that because if you met me outside of all this you would see that I am the nicest guy and know what I am talking about. I am not hard to find. Twitter name is @coachhemphill and name is Chris Hemphill. Been coaching since 2006 have the pleasure of helping many young men live there dreams. I help kids from all over the state even the ones I do not coach. I hope to get to better know you guys on here and meet a few of you in person at games.

You are right Prep played the #2 team in the USA today poll and lost. My issue with this is one the posts you have written "suggest" these coaches are the best in 1a which is not true. Let me break it down for you. When Prep played Albemarle last year I watched Prep closely to see exactly what they are doing that accounts for them dominating other than having 4 div 1 players of course. Here is what I came away with and this is IMHO.

Prep runs a weak 1-2-2 full court press that they get away with at the 1a level simply because of them being so much more athletic than everybody, secondly they run a simple offense and they play at a slow speed. As a coach of a team like that and who is constantly building their program why wouldn't you have them playing at a higher level. Talent to talent they don't win alot of games. As a coach with a program getting in that kind of talent I would want to play the best every night. I mean lets be real 1a for the majority does not challenge them. Will some 1a schools have great teams come through that can challenge them every so often absolutely. Put that coach in a traditional 1a without the advantages he has dealing with the numbers and struggles of other 1a schools and see how he does when it is talent for talent. He wins thats when I will give him credit.

How will Prep do this year I don't know however you cannot call yourself a great program by losing to teams that are on a same talent level as you and beating teams with less. Prep had 4 D1 players a couple of high level D2 players from what I saw. You have to understand that there are high level prep schools that do not have 4 d1 players on it. You will have 2 to 3 d1 players and a few D2 players who maybe can sneak in at a mid major level. I see nothing to boast about Preps coaching.

I will defend Bishops Girls coach here because I have seen his programs and he has done a great job there. Even if I think that he should be at a 2a level, I still think he is an incredible coach who actually develops his talent and runs a great system up there.

I have never stated that they were the best I said they are good coaches which they are. If you were a coach you would know we do not throw another coach under the bus. I know the coaches down there at Prep and have respect for what they have done. I helped there team get in the Hilton Invitational down in GA. They went down and represented them self and NC well. I support all teams in Programs. I have took the year off from coaching high school ball to finish my degree. I wanted to help ms king get the hoops talk going. I never meant to rub anyone the wrong way. I attend games all over the state and I see nothing wrong with what prep has done. All you guys make valid points and I understand what you are saying I truly do. There are ways of expressing your self though throw shots at there school district not there staff and program. Until they are found to be doing some illegal stuff like what happen in football at Dudley. I have no problem with it.

I would like to also add this thought and pose this question for those against non-boundary schools. Would you complain if a traditional team were the ones dominating the 1A hoop scene? Say team does like 2A Kinston has done and goes on a run and wins three state title in a row. What would you say then? I have coached at 4A level so I am not shocked at a team having more then 4 D1 players I know a few 4A team in NC West side alone that have that so that is a minor issue. At the 1A level it can happen if the talent is being developed and exposure is given to those who deserve it. I coach on the Under Armour Circuit and trust I see all the nations elite. I do not see many kids from smaller 1a schools on our roster or team felton or Cp3 or even Team United or Team loaded. Then on top of that not many elite player even play local aau any more its just showcase ball out of state. I enjoy hearing you guys perspective but to call somebody a joke without knowing anything about them is a little steep. I have a state title ring that I never even wear because I feel that I have so much more to accomplish. It is hard winning a state title let along go 30-0 and make history. Please free to email me xavier28205@yahoo.com to exchange numbers so we can talk more in depth. I care about the kids of NC I have no beef with nobody over the sport I love. I am glad its finally hoop season.
This post was edited on 12/1 4:23 PM by Xman8balla

Originally posted by Xman8balla:
I would like to also add this thought and pose this question for those against non-boundary schools. Would you complain if a traditional team were the ones dominating the 1A hoop scene? Say team does like 2A Kinston has done and goes on a run and wins three state title in a row. What would you say then?
You can go on the 2A boards and see for yourself, but there is no reaction there like there is on the 1A boards. Probably because Kinston dominates as a traditional school. There also was no reaction like this when Thomasville was racking up 1A titles--boys and girls--for most of the early-to-mid 2000s. I'm not some radical calling for breaking from the NCHSAA because they allow charters and magnets like some people you'll see on here. They're public schools and have a right to be in the the NCHSAA. But I do believe there needs to be some sort of multiplier or performance-based classification adjustment for schools without a boundary because of the advantages inherent in that type of school set up.

I see......great post seems like there school district and not the state should change there policys to fall in line with the other school districts. I think there are some school districts that have there own say so on there policys. I noticed that rowan county schools kids move a lot back and forth in between schools in the Salisbury area between North Rowan & Salisbury but nobody makes a big deal about it. Also while I have you guys attention since every one wants to fix what is wrong in 1A hoops how about you guys asking your coaches to put out more information on your kids to get them exposure. Ms king would love to do like she does with the football and do a book.

Originally posted by Xman8balla:
I see......great post seems like there school district and not the state should change there policys to fall in line with the other school districts.

Also while I have you guys attention since every one wants to fix what is wrong in 1A hoops how about you guys asking your coaches to put out more information on your kids to get them exposure. Ms king would love to do like she does with the football and do a book.
I don't really see the point of having a governing body if you're going to pass decisions on competitive balance on to local LEAs.

You do have a solid point about exposure. There are a lot of players in 1A ball who don't get the chances they deserve, and it's not because they aren't good enough, but because of the perception that they aren't as good as the star player at a bigger school just because they play at the 1A level. You can throw out names of guys like Raymond Felton or Otto Porter or Montrezl Harrell or whoever that played at 1A traditional high schools all you want, but there's still a skepticism there that kids have to get past. However, I'm not sure a book would do that (although I love the football book and would buy it and read it). It ultimately comes down to showcase ball, which is harder for traditional 1A players to participate in because a) that perception keeps them from being invited and b) most 1A schools are rural so they aren't as nearby to the hubs where the elite teams are located--a parent from the mountains has to be a lot more dedicated than a parent from, say, Matthews, to make sure their kid gets to Charlotte regularly for travel ball practice and games.

I will post this and then I will try my dead level best to leave this topic alone because it infuriates me far to much to continue to think about an inequity that is not going to change. I have not heard anyone on here complain about someone dominating that does it the right way. If you take the kids in your community and build a consistent winner then not only am I okay with it, I think it is great. Many and I do mean many of the 1A state football champions come out of the Smoky Mountain conference, and I think that is wonderful. You evidently are having trouble understanding where I am coming from. It is not dominance that bothers anyone on here. It is inequity. I apologize Deana I know you really do not like this argument, but you obviously like this guy being on here based on an earlier comment that you made. So if you want him and want his views of lesser traditional whining schools on here then you are going to hear the other side. To beat a dead horse one more time. No one has a problem with Bishop or Winston Salem Prep, but they have no business being in the 1A classification. You seem to be offended when people talk negatively about an individual coach. So does that mean that we are just suppose to sit here and let you blow smoke up there rear like they are the next coming of Dean Smith. I do think the girls coach at Bishop is a quality coach, but getting on here and talking about what a great coach the guy at Prep is "Come on man".

And quoting Jay Z. All I can say is WOW.

I don't like non-boundary schools playing at the 1A level. I just chose not publicly to say anything on the issue until now.

When I posted on the other thread I was saying that Xman was going to all kind of games for this site to help promote the teams and kids whether public or private.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thanks for making your view known Deana. I have tried really hard to stay off this topic, because I try to be a non controversial poster, but this is my hot button. As I stated earlier, my view is out there and I will try to leave this topic alone. Thank you for providing such a wonderful opportunity for a has been to share his views. My love of high school athletics has only grown as I have gotten older and this site is a big part of the reason why.

If you think for one minute that the other 1a schools just dont work hard , you are crazy. I got several friends who coach in 1a and they work as hard as anyone. Their kids play aau they go to clinics they play all summer too. To say that a school like prep who gets d1 transfers every year is on the same playing field as lets say Robbinsville who has a limited pool to draw from is just crazy. you miss the fact is that prep sees these kids in auu and persuades them to come. And yes at you mighty 4a schools in the city there is a chance to have 4 d1 kids, but in the world of real 1a teams a d1 player is most time a once in a decade thing if not longer.

good post Polk.

Also this guy said we should be playing year round. That shows how smart he is. Robbinsville boys only have 2 bball players that dont play football so how can we play year around. This is true for most 1a schools.

I agree. Even at the 4a level 4 legit D1 kids on the same team is rare. At the 1a level it is very uncommon to have 1 let alone 4. Here is my issue with Xman this far. He has promoted a lot of prep cp3 team united etc but has yet to cover or boost any traditionals. You have a lot of great stories this year coming out of 1a. Hayesville has a great girls program, Albemarle both of these programs could knock off the almighty Bishop this year could a traditional make a run on the girls side.

The 1A for both boys and girls for the first time in a long time seems to be wide open this year. That's exciting. I am tired of this guy boosting preps recruiting circuit. Tell Xman if he really wants to know what 1a is about come into one of these rural towns and see the daily struggle coaches go through. Get out of the city limits of Winston Salem every once in awhile.

My only issue is that I hate using the word boundary and non-boundary. Traditional and non-traditional I get and yes there are many differences and we can talk about advantages and disadvantages. But the word boundary is misleading because over the years many traditional public schools only had theoretical boundaries. Many of them got players from outside their defined boundary. Some 1A schools outside of Forsyth County got Forsyth County kids who had not moved. Both school systems signed off so it was perfectly legal. But then how do you say that school is a boundary school? \ But I get that 1A schools in urban areas have an advantage over those in rural areas. I am not disputing that. I won't dispute that non-traditional schools have an advantage over traditional schools in sports where just a few kids can make a huge difference like basketball, golf, tennis...But let's state that instead and not label all traditional schools as boundary schools because that has not been true. I think some 1A traditional schools have advantages over other 1A traditional schools also with regard to getting athletes.

This post was edited on 12/2 11:13 AM by Dosso

This post was edited on 12/2 11:15 AM by Dosso

I will be monitoring these teams you mention and wait for big game matchups. You guys are your own voice if you feel that your program you pull for has something please post is all I am saying. I just want you guys talking hoops and I have done that now can we get back to talking about the kids and teams. I am very familiar with what Albemarle has done as a program as they big 1A matchups with team come up I will post game scores and stats but you all must do the same. I am all about helping NC kids and teams get the proper exposure. If teams are winning and making noise trust me they will be mentioned. When there are big conference matchups of top teams there will be mention calm down its early season guys laughing out loud. I must commend the 1A posters though you guys are more into your hoops then any of the other message boards on here which is cool.

xaman This is our community we may not have the numbers that the big 4a's do but the passion is there. Big matchup tonight #8 Monroe GBK at Albemarle (Monroe is #8 in charlotte per Observer Sweet 16 amongst all schools). Monroe won their first game 57-19 over Cox Mill.

I enjoy all of the posters on here as they are as passionate as they come about their communities and their schools which is what high school sports is all about.

I agree big time on your last statement. In todays Charlotte Observer rankings Monroe girls stand at #7 with a record of 1-0. There saying they are a 2A club so should be a interesting matchup.

Successful programs must include Cherryville even though they are a boundary 1A high school located in a boundary which includes only about 7,500 people. Over the past 30 years the Ironmen have won 20 or more games with a few exceptions. Yes the Ironmen have won only one state title but they have lost numerous times to non-boundary schools. The most disappointing loss came to Prep when the NCHSAA placed Prep in the first game of the playoffs even though that may have been the best Ironmen team. Prep with D1 players barely beat the Ironmen and went on to win the state championship with ease. Almost all of the Ironmen basketball players play football and baseball so Cherryville is the epitome of what athletics should be in our public schools.

Now Cherryville is a 1A team I have saw a lot over the years you guys have had your share of talent no doubt. I feel this program this year might be able to push pass the regionals. They return some talent off last years team. Guys like Terry who went to Florida State and others have come out of the program. Something to be proud of no question.

The best game that I have watched in a long time was the Cherryville vs Alleghany game last year. The Poston kid was without a doubt a player. Of course the 28 and 29 that spinkle and santos put on Cherryville was pretty impressive as well. The difference being Sprinkle and Santos are back and Poston is not. Good luck to Cherryvile this season, and I guess at some point basketball season will start at Alleghany. Might be a rough start for the Trojans with this very impressive football run and the fact that Alleghany only has 1 varsity player that does not play football. However give them time and they will be just fine again.

I hope we get the opportunity to meet them really late in the playoffs and hoping it will be at Alleghany. Hey you gotta hope.

It's nothing more than legalized cheating promoted by the NCHSAA at the expense of our students.

Saying schools like Bishop, WS Preps, and a few others are being held to the same standard as the rest of them is like saying " there's no difference between The Master;s and the Cumberland County Putt-Putt Championship" and to imply that the coaches at these schools are just so much better is ridiculous. It would be like me trying to convince my pack mule that he could compete with the horses running the Kentucky Derby. Some of you on here make me laugh.

Alleghany, please dont forget that Cherryville's best player did not play in that game....but it was a great game for sure. Even without their best player Cherryville had a chance to win in the final seconds but a freshman missed free throws. If made, the Ironmen would have won....Congrats to Alleghany....but remember how you won....

This post was edited on 12/2 4:17 PM by Catawbavalleybasketball

Originally posted by YVCFan06:
It's nothing more than legalized cheating promoted by the NCHSAA at the expense of our students.

Saying schools like Bishop, WS Preps, and a few others are being held to the same standard as the rest of them is like saying " there's no difference between The Master;s and the Cumberland County Putt-Putt Championship" and to imply that the coaches at these schools are just so much better is ridiculous. It would be like me trying to convince my pack mule that he could compete with the horses running the Kentucky Derby. Some of you on here make me laugh.
It's not cheating, it's a system in which the rules aren't fair. There's a difference.

I do remember that there was some missed free throws but I also remember that Alleghany missed some shots also. That is the way games are won and lost someone misses and someone makes. How else would you win? There are many jobs that the coach of an athletic team has and one of them is keeping their kids eligible to play. Sometimes, I accept the injury excuse, and sometimes I don't, but I never allow an ineligible player to be used as an excuse. The players that were available for your coach played and played hard, and it wasn't enough. I might have thought that in 6 months that excuse would have went away. I checked with all the administration at Alleghany and they told me it was not their fault that the kid did not play, so I am assuming that we should not be held accountable for the fact that he did not play. I checked MaxPreps and all they had was a score. I checked with NCHSAA and on their brackets Alleghany moved forward. The game was played, and it was a great game, and now it is over.

I encourage you to take a more involved role in helping keep the kids at Cherryville out of trouble and available. I will do the same at Alleghany and if we play again, the team that we put on the floor will be representing us and I imagine that the team that you put on the floor will do the same, and I can assure you that if one of our kids is not available, it will be considered our fault and not used as an excuse.

Has the NCHSAA ever came out and said that they recognize the rules aren't fair? If so, I would love to read that statement, because every time I've ever spoken with them they are very adamant about the fairness of the rules. They also love reminding you that they put it to a vote and the schools wanted to leave it the same. They don't mention that most schools didn't even vote so they counted their known vote as a vote for them. Wonder how that would work out in the real world. Still laughing!!!

It would have worked out just fine in the real world. If a school wanted the change all they had to do was vote that way. But they didn't....pretty simple.

Member schools had chance to make change. They didn't do it. Sorry to burst your little bubble.

That has nothing to do with you and Xmen and other that think its fair. Its okay for this to go on. You should be against this but its your team so its okay. Stand up and speak out about it......Or be a nut job and make up reason why its okay. Money, Money, Money.

Bishop helped draft the amendment that would have moved it's girls basketball team up to 2A. That amendment was voted down by the member schools. Again, how is it about the "money"?

Bro I didn't know this was a touchy subject for you guys. I have left it alone I just saw on twitter were Cardinal Gibbons has gotten approved to move up to 4A so hopefully that makes some one day.

xman, year after year after year after year (and longer than that) Bishop and WS Prep have been the targets on this board. If any other magnet school has a good season they become targets as well. A few years ago when Highland Tech, with not much of a basketball history, finally made it to the Western Regionals they became a target as well. We are only targets during basketball season since Bishop is usually the preferred homecoming game for football. Not a problem unless the school is winning.

The hypocrisy on the board is amazing. The "boundary"- "non-boundary" distinction is used, including by the Administrator of this site who expressed her dislike for "non-boundary" schools playing in 1A. Problem with that is that very few schools in our area are boundary schools. Players for Mt. Airy live in Elkin but since both school boards sign off on it no problem. Not a peep from our Mt. Airy posters or our moderator about it. Substantial numbers of football players in our area and from what I understand in the SMC live outside of their districts. Not a peep out of the same posters. When a coach and his wife from the Starmount system become guardians for a 6-9 kid from Puerto Rico so that he can play 4 years of basketball for Starmount and lead them to the state championship game didn't hear any complaining from the Starmount fans.

There have been two recent votes by the members of the NCHSAA regarding the Catholic schools and the public charter/magnet schools. The first was actually drafted by Bishop which would have amended the bylaws so that any school winning multiple consecutive state championships would be moved up in classification. Bishop girls and WS Prep boys would be playing in 2A. That amendment was voted down by the member schools.

The second was to kick the 3 Catholic Schools (Charlotte Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons and Bishop McGuinness) out of the NCHSAA. Didn't matter to those behind the effort that these schools had been members in good standing for over 50 years (Catholic and Gibbons) and a decade (Bishop). That effort required an AFFIRMATIVE vote to evict the 3 Catholic Schools. Morons on this site don't understand the meaning of an Affirmative vote so they believe it is all about the money somehow.
Leaves a good feeling in your mouth as you can imagine.

It was my understanding that there was a rule for these boards that the same topic was not supposed to be beaten to death over and over. Now I fully understand why there has been no effort to follow that rule by those who moderate the board year after year. The good thing for her is that Bishop's streak will end this year. The bad thing is that while WS Prep will probably not win the boys side the WS Prep girls will destroy teams on the girls side and they have no seniors on their roster.

Lastly xman, since you are new, you should be aware that EVERY SINGLE BISHOP FAN has stated that Bishop has an advantage and has said so for years. Doesn't mean a thing since some people "don't like" Bishop playing in 1A.

This post was edited on 12/4 11:09 AM by 3daughters

3D, we need to clarify a few of your points:

1. The vast majority of schools that voted to move these teams to 2A voted in favor of the proposal. However many schools chose not to vote. The total number of votes cast were a majority of all schools and they wanted them moved. However it was not at the required 75% needed for passage. I spoke to several 2A and 3AM coaches who do not want these schools to move up- they can not compete with the advantage they have.

2. If these boards are that bad then please don't put yourself to the agony of having to read these posts.

3. You like to cite examples that this school had this transfer etc. This not even close to the situations you try to defend.

Finally a question, if these teams were held to the same standards as most schools, would anyone of heard from them?

Absolutely WRONG recycled. The 75% vote that you talk mention where schools did not vote was to expel the 3 Catholic schools not the amendment to move up in classification. The vote to expel Charlotte Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons and Bishop McGuinness required a 75% affirmative vote. The non-voting schools did not want these 3 schools, longtime members in good standing, to be thrown out because some moron in Rowan County got mad.

The NCHSAA Board made up of principals and Superintendents rejected it saying it was unfair to the non-traditional schools. So blame them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT