ADVERTISEMENT

State basketball championships

State basketball championships ... Where do they belong?

• Triangle area

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Triad area

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Charlotte area

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
The Triad would be best geographically, but we are going to run into big college tournaments there which conflict with the state championship..

The ACC tournament is in Greensboro this week end so that leaves The Lawrence Joel Coliseum in Winston Salen, NC which seats 14,665 fans. This would have been a great venue.
No Events are scheduled until March 23rd this year.

Last edited:
Definitely not the triangle area. Triad makes the most sense being right off I-40.

With the state championships being so far east, we’ve really lost site of what is actually west in regards to regionals. Hickory would be the most logical choice for a regional city, just doesn’t have venue to hold the crowd. Asheville would be the next logical choice with the arena downtown and you have Kimmel on the campus of UNC Asheville which is a pristine newer arena with a capacity of around 3,500.

Reactions: therealsquid
With the state championships being so far east, we’ve really lost site of what is actually west in regards to regionals. Hickory would be the most logical choice for a regional city, just doesn’t have venue to hold the crowd. Asheville would be the next logical choice with the arena downtown and you have Kimmel on the campus of UNC Asheville which is a pristine newer arena with a capacity of around 3,500.
The predetermined single area site was terrible. This year four Meck County teams in the 4A regional final and 3A had two Meck border teams, a Meck team, and West Rowan. I like waiting until the finalist are determined but they do not have to play the boys and girls classification title games at the same place. NCHSAA needs to start working on next years regional sites now. The colleges are not very interested in hosting from what I am hearing.

Reactions: beamer24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT