ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount

The rams looked very good today in their scrimmage at East Surry. They will be a threat come November if they stay healthy.

Reactions: RealStihl
I think both teams did pretty well. It's just so hard to tell with the way they set this scrimmage up. They didn't start an actual game until all the kids were drained from drills. Lots of substitutions and whatnot. Still enjoyed seeing a little bit of action. Hoping for a great season for both teams.

Starmount brought about 8 or so JV players to get reps as well. This was more of a controlled practice than anything.

I do like some of the offensive stuff the Rams are doing. Jymir Billips looked really good yesterday as well as LT Adams.

I saw some good things yesterday and some things that need to be worked on.

I also expect more of a scrimmage-type Friday vs Surry Central.

So after the scrimmages and what everyone knows and seen. What are y’all’s thoughts when Mt Airy comes to Starmount. This game is on my schedule to come to watch. I’m looking forward to it.

So after the scrimmages and what everyone knows and seen. What are y’all’s thoughts when Mt Airy comes to Starmount. This game is on my schedule to come to watch. I’m looking forward to it.
VIK-Val, we all are looking forward to it, but if you look at the pictures of the beautiful field, notice on the visitors side, there are not yet any seating for "us" visitors. I am sure this will be fixed, I am sure of it, really I am, but as of now, a lot of standing.

VIK-Val, we all are looking forward to it, but if you look at the pictures of the beautiful field, notice on the visitors side, there are not yet any seating for "us" visitors. I am sure this will be fixed, I am sure of it, really I am, but as of now, a lot of standing.
Ok thanks

Just a money loss for Starmount because half if not more that go will stay home and listen to it on the radio. I am sure Deana will post it when the bleachers are installed. I don't think it will take long if it has no more capacity than the older ones did.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Just a money loss for Starmount because half if not more that go will stay home and listen to it on the radio. I am sure Deana will post it when the bleachers are installed. I don't think it will take long if it has no more capacity than the older ones did.
I'm sure that they will be installed by then. Frustrating having to wait on them though

I really have no idea. Haven't seen Mt Airy. Haven't seen much of the Rams full team and real game stuff either. It will most likely take the Rams a little while to get in a groove with having new offensive, defensive and head coaches.

I really have no idea. Haven't seen Mt Airy. Haven't seen much of the Rams full team and real game stuff either. It will most likely take the Rams a little while to get in a groove with having new offensive, defensive and head coaches.
Man they'll be good though. If they'll play physical they'll be able to play with the bears.

Pardue is making them tough, physically and mentally.

I really like what I’ve seen on defense. They attack and have some speed.

Offensively, I know Coach Res has a lot of experience and I trust him to run what’s best for our guys.

Starmount looks good in those clips. The offense is interesting. It's kind of odd seeing what looks like a pass oriented game from them. Makes sense considering they have a good athletic QB. Screen passes looked pretty good. Collins is going to keep the D honest and get his yards running too. And really liked seeing Crater finished off that run.
Kind of looked like the Bears offense with Ian Holder. Should be some good football in Boonville this year. Look forward to it.

Last year, the Rams beat Trinity 43-30 at home. I think they can score and move the ball great with a lot of their weapons returning. Ram fans are hoping the defensive numbers come way down from past years.

It’s going to be interesting to see for sure.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Last year, the Rams beat Trinity 43-30 at home. I think they can score and move the ball great with a lot of their weapons returning. Ram fans are hoping the defensive numbers come way down from past years.

It’s going to be interesting to see for sure.
Yes defense has to improve from last year and I think we have the man to lead it with Pardue. I wish we had him last year. I see such a big improvement in the coaching from last year. So much more vocal and aggressive. Still remains to be seen how the offense will look compared to last year. Main thing is to keep Collins healthy throughout the season. Don't want a repeat of last year. Still bummed about that Heritage game.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Yeah, I am old fart party pooper. But I despise seeing these turf fields. Football should only be played on real grass.

I agree, I like grass fields. It drives me nuts that people claim they save money. They don't. When you factor in initial cost, replacement cost and maintenance (spray for infections, raking to prevent compression, etc...) they are more costly. The benefits are the ability to have good playing surfaces for games or practice despite weather conditions. They can also withstand multiple HS football, JV FB, youth FB, HS soccer, MS soccer games per week Turf fields also greatly reduce prep time for contests . I believe that turf fields also have higher injury rates. In the end schools have to decide what they want. Also there is a prestige factor to having a turf field.

Reactions: fitguync30 and KW23
Starmount’s field has multiple teams playing on it each week and by the end of October is worn out.

Varsity football, JV Football, Middle School Football, and 3 Youth Football teams play on the field plus Varsity Soccer.

It’s possible to have 5 to 6 games on a given week.

1 Wednesday - MS
1 Thursday or Friday - JV/V
3 Saturday - Youth

Maybe 2 soccer games in a week.

Starmount also is getting a new track. We have not had a home track meet in like 8 years.

I agree, I like grass fields. It drives me nuts that people claim they save money. They don't. When you factor in initial cost, replacement cost and maintenance (spray for infections, raking to prevent compression, etc...) they are more costly. The benefits are the ability to have good playing surfaces for games or practice despite weather conditions. They can also withstand multiple HS football, JV FB, youth FB, HS soccer, MS soccer games per week Turf fields also greatly reduce prep time for contests . I believe that turf fields also have higher injury rates. In the end schools have to decide what they want. Also there is a prestige factor to having a turf field.
I also don't buy the argument about grass fields getting worn out later in the fall. Most all high schools in the nation have been playing on grass fields since the Dark Ages. It worked for all that time and is now all of a sudden a problem? I get it that most high schools don't have the personnel and $$$ to keep a grass football field looking pristine all season. But even as the grass browns out as the weather gets chilly, it still looks a lot better to me than that lousy turf. Also, isn't there ground up rubber tires spread around on the turf fields? I know this may sound silly, but when players take a face plant onto the field they could be breathing in some of those rubber particles. And early in the season when they are sweating a lot, small bits of that rubber may be sticking to their skin for long periods. Not sure what the long term effects of that could be.

I also don't buy the argument about grass fields getting worn out later in the fall. Most all high schools in the nation have been playing on grass fields since the Dark Ages. It worked for all that time and is now all of a sudden a problem? I get it that most high schools don't have the personnel and $$$ to keep a grass football field looking pristine all season. But even as the grass browns out as the weather gets chilly, it still looks a lot better to me than that lousy turf. Also, isn't there ground up rubber tires spread around on the turf fields? I know this may sound silly, but when players take a face plant onto the field they could be breathing in some of those rubber particles. And early in the season when they are sweating a lot, small bits of that rubber may be sticking to their skin for long periods. Not sure what the long term effects of that could be.
In 10 years is the schools gonna have 1.2 million to replace these fields and the money to fix the tracks again? Grass is way cheaper than 120k a year. Also we never know what’s gonna happen financially over the next 10 years the turf could be way more expensive and then are we gonna have the money to go back to grass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT