ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount at North Iredell

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
Last year this game went down to the wire. North Iredell suppose to be improved team from a year ago, but they lost their starting RB to Lake Norman and a player to Starmount. North Iredell does have 1 standout player their QB Caleb Sales, but he can't do it all. This use to be good Rivalry from the 80s to mid 90s North Iredell and Starmount. North Iredell was about the only program that could give Starmount fits in BW Holt era. Starmount is loaded and off to a good start. Starmount by 18. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
South Iredell beat North Iredell 35-14 last night. North gave South a good game probably for quarter and 1/2 another. I wasn’t at that game so I can’t give details. But SI is down from what they use to be. I give Starmount a good win in this one.

NI QB Sales gave the Rams some issues last year.

For the Rams, they need to clean up those penalties and have a better start in the game. Typical first game things for the staff to get straightened out.

You are right NI and SHS played a great rivalry in the 80s and early 90s.

Sales is a great athlete but he's about all they have. From what I've heard they don't have a youth football program and haven't for some years. Its going to be tough sleding for some time for North.

Sales is a great athlete but he's about all they have. From what I've heard they don't have a youth football program and haven't for some years. Its going to be tough sleding for some time for North.
Having great feeder programs and youth football is key in having successful programs. We have been lucky in our area to have good support for our programs.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Starmount will win but the question is: is North Iredell Trinity bad or better than they have been last couple of years?

Reactions: buzzcoach
North Iredell might can hang with Starmount for 3 Quarters. North just don't have the speed, Depht or athletes, but they will give everything they got.

NI Qb is there best athlete. They played decent against 4a SI. Im expecting a closer game. Maybe 8-10 point spread

While I am hoping North Iredell has a really good game, they need it as a team, school and community, Starmount will almost certainly win this game.
The problem for North is: there is no Community. Every other team in Iredell has a "Community". Even West Iredell is close enough to Statesville to be claimed, and they have the Celeste Hinkle community to call their own.

Olin is only a rural post office that no one can find. Harmony is about a hundred miles away and Union Grove (about 10 miles) is not really a "community" in a town sense. Central is only a sign post on Hwy 115. And the Cool Spring community might as well be in Davie or Rowan County.

It is very hard for North Iredell HS to build a sense of "community" because they are the definition of "a rural school".

Starmount vs North Iredell series

Starmount leads the series 9-7-2

1967: 25-0 - SHS
1969: 35-6 - SHS
1970: 13-6 - SHS
1979: 0-0 - tie (BW Holt’s first game at SHS)
1980: 28-14 - SHS
1981: 24-22 - SHS
1982: 0-0 - tie
1983: 7-28 - NI
1984: 6-30 - NI
1985: 24-7 - SHS
1986: 12-20 - NI
1987: 7-10 - NI
1988: 31-26 - SHS
1989: 13-28 - NI
1990: 0-12 - NI
1994: 26-12 - SHS
1995: 0-21 – NI
2023: 32-29 - SHS

NORTH

It's good when you have a contested series. So many 'rivalry' series now are very one sided and still considered rivalries because the people who saw or participated remember them being back and forth. It doesn't look like this game has been played as much since the 80s and early 90s. Might be a game both schools should consider making a schedule mainstay if it can stay competitive.

While I am hoping North Iredell has a really good game, they need it as a team, school and community, Starmount will almost certainly win this game.
The problem for North is: there is no Community. Every other team in Iredell has a "Community". Even West Iredell is close enough to Statesville to be claimed, and they have the Celeste Hinkle community to call their own.

Olin is only a rural post office that no one can find. Harmony is about a hundred miles away and Union Grove (about 10 miles) is not really a "community" in a town sense. Central is only a sign post on Hwy 115. And the Cool Spring community might as well be in Davie or Rowan County.

It is very hard for North Iredell HS to build a sense of "community" because they are the definition of "a

It is very hard for North Iredell HS to build a sense of "community" because they are the definition of "a rural school".
What killed North Iredell program is when they redistrict the School Zone about 25 years ago. Most of their good athletes in the old School Days came from East Statesville when Greenbrier Road use to be divided up between Statesville and North. The cut off line was at the animal and Shelter and Twin Oaks Golf Course. From Greenbrier to North that was about 25 to 30 Minutes to North and 10 to 15 minutes to Statesville High.

The whole football program is in disarray up there from youth to HS from what I gather. I don't think they've had a youth program for several years now. I don't know that their situation will get any better anytime soon. I don't understand why they didn't try and play tonight after the storm passed. At least get to halftime.

That fancy new turf and this is how it's going.

Reactions: footballstar_17
Starmount wanted to play Saturday, Monday, and finally Tuesday. NI said they couldn’t. Starmount even offered to pay for security, officials and offered to host with free admission. NI declined.

Probably safe to say these teams won’t be playing any more.
Wow. What is their reasoning?

Starmount wanted to play Saturday, Monday, and finally Tuesday. NI said they couldn’t. Starmount even offered to pay for security, officials and offered to host with free admission. NI declined.

Probably safe to say these teams won’t be playing any more.
Wow. NI ducking 1a competition?? What is going on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT