ADVERTISEMENT

Stanly County School Proposed Plan

Hmmmm ... Plan A ... Albemarle + North Stanly and South + West, two 2A sized schools ...

Plan B ... Looks like Albemarle gets split up between North, South and West. North and West look like 2A sized schools, while South will still be 1A sized.

Other than that, I have no idea!

Reactions: cemc63 and sway1532
looks like one of the options is also leaving Albemarle High open: 'no closure high school' and 'no closure middle school'.

It appears this option would involve re-drawing the district lines, with West Stanly High losing roughly 100 students in total to the other 3 high schools, with Albemarle High receiving the largest gain of about 50 students.

The bigger effect with this plan it seems would be at the middle school level, with West Stanly Middle, South Stanly Middle and North Stanly Middle all losing students while Albemarle Middle would see a significant gain in new middle school students.

Last edited:
looks like one of the options is also leaving Albemarle High open: 'no closure high school' and 'no closure middle school.

It appears this option would involve re-drawing the district lines, with West Stanly High losing roughly 100 students in total to the other 3 high schools, with Albemarle High receiving the largest gain of about 50 students.

The bigger effect with this plan it seems would be at the middle school level, with West Stanly Middle, South Stanly Middle and North Stanly Middle all losing students while Albemarle Middle would see a huge gain of about 120 new middle school students.

I saw that also, but both AHS and AMS are under capacity, I don't see any hurt there. Plus WSH and NSH are almost at capacity.

Those 50 students that Albemarle needs are a spit in the ocean compared what they need to fill those hallways. There needs to be a "Bell Curve" into WSH district lines and NSH district lines.

As far as the transportation goes, it looks like they will only save 4 or 5 mins with Plan A if I'm not mistaken. That's not by any means grounds to close AHS.

If those CLOWNS on the BOE put half as much effort into making our schools work as they are putting into trying to close these schools...this wouldn't be an issue(stolen word for word).

Reactions: mbdfan
I TOLD YOU SO. Dr Griffin and her "nut job" croonies are right back to Plan A and Plan B. They never went away folks. They are going to cram one of them down our throats. Mark my word. If only the election were this Nov.

Last edited:
Plan A involves South Stanly High consolidating with West Stanly High and Albemarle High district merging with North Stanly High district. The current Albemarle High becomes a county wide magnet school.

Plan B is Albemarle High being consolidated. South Stanly High and North Stanly High both receive big boosts in enrollment, while West Stanly High stays basically as is enrollment wise.

Last edited:
From an outsider's perspective, based on the data presented, I think Plan A is nonsensical. I can't see that it accomplishes anything in terms of actually solving any of the underlining issues. So in my opinion you either re-draw the district lines and leave Albemarle High open, or you go with Plan B.

For the sake of my Albemarle friends I hope they go the no-closure/re-draw district lines route.

Their assuming 500 kids we will agree to go to the magnet school with no busing, I assume. ROTFLMAO

From an outsider's perspective, based on the data presented, I think Plan A is nonsensical. I can't see that it accomplishes anything in terms of actually solving any of the underlining issues. So in my opinion you either re-draw the district lines and leave Albemarle High open, or you go with Plan B.

For the sake of my Albemarle friends I hope they go the no-closure/re-draw district lines route.

That consolidation of AHS involves sending 11-12yr old children to AHS from AMS....I will quit my job and home school my daughter before I let those flunkies come anywhere near her!!

The only reason they added the "non closure/ redistrict" section to that report, was to accentuate the fact that the bus rides would change the least with Plan B. Which of course, is only closing Albemarle. It has already been decided, they just dont have the guts to pull the trigger yet

Agreed dogsfan85. It will be just like merger. They will do it while we're asleep and when we wake up it will be a done deal. They will do it before the community knows what happened.

What a bunch of cowards and cry babies. They are mad that AHS has whooped their kids behind for the past 20+ years and this is get back. That's o.k. Griffin and her flunkies will get voted out.

Reactions: dogsfan85
They are closing Albemarle but also Oakboro in the plan of closures. Do not think that endears Dr Griffin to folks in the west.

I prefer redistricting but even that is going to be minimal if the population of high school students does not increase. Albemarle's ADM is 416 for this year. That may be higher when the football numbers come out as they may need to add some students in.

I do think if AHS took in all students up to Endy School that would get them over the hump. My concern is it will be tough to redistrict South and get any students. That is where keeping four schools open meets the highest hurdle. My complaint with the current districts is students drive twice as far to go to West as they would AHS. I think students should be districted to the school nearest them in most all cases. If that is the complaint then it is not fair to pump up enrollments by doing that to other students which is what would happen with South. Look at the districts and you see the issue.

What a bunch of cowards and cry babies. They are mad that AHS has whooped their kids behind for the past 20+ years and this is get back. That's o.k. Griffin and her flunkies will get voted out.

No way past football history has anything to do with the decisions the BOE makes. It's pretty obvious that the county's tax base will not be able to sustain the number of schools we are operating into the future. Redistricting with no closures is just a short term patch. Consolidation of some schools is will eventually be necessary.

As for the study, it was done by an independent firm, not the BOE.

The tax base in Stanly County has dwindle severely the last 25 years. The number of factories that closed and the middle income tax base appears to have shrunk also. Add to that the continued budget issues and the percentage of budget that goes to education. All of these things are finally coming to together.

Compare Stanly to some other counties of close to the same population and land mass or even a larger population and you start to see that Stanly County has more schools per population/enrollment that most.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT