ADVERTISEMENT

SP and Pisgah

Rev, you are a smart football guy and know that the schedule quality makes SP's record better than many teams who elected to play much weaker opponents (such as the Carolina Wildcats) instead of Crest, Lincolnton, Shelby, and Clover. Of our 4 losses, the only team not still playing is 5A Clover who was the best looking team that we played this year outside of Shelby. Good luck to Burns next year. Great strides made in 2016.

agreed Raider. Tough schedule and thats why i wanted to point out that an 8-4 team down here is better than a 12-1 record in the mountains. The wildcats was a last resort for us. I believe our schedule will be much more up to par next season. GL against the bears

The very reason we play West Forsyth and Shelby each year. Teams in WNC don't want to play us and we have to find good competition down the Mtn. I'm strictly talking non conference, no one can control their conference SOS.
The very reason we play West Forsyth and Shelby each year. Teams in WNC don't want to play us and we have to find good competition down the Mtn. It aint just the competition that makes teams in WNC dont want to play ACR, to be fair. A money loser of MONUMENTAL proportions, regardless of wins and losses. If a WNC team could make X times the revenue playing Swain Cherokee or Murphy, (win or lose) or get beat by ACR (or Asheville) and lose their arse at the gate too ....Hum....What should they do?

According to superraiders.com you all have 3 state championships. 79, 03, and 09, and one WNC co championship in 71. That's not four since 76. Still impressive, but listening to most of the fans on here, you would think you have a Shelbylike dynasty.

Thought about that after I posted the comment. Still doesn't change that 3 championships have taken place since Pisgah's last? Plus we made the big dance last year.

Great season for the Bears. No bad teams end up 12-1 and in the 3rd round. Looking forward to seeing you guys next Friday night. Too focused on Tuscola to have done my analysis of Pisgah yet but will share thoughts after I look at who this Pisgah Bears team is. I expect them to be a solid, well disciplined, well coached bunch of mountain boys.

What's the verdict?

Reactions: WNCfballFan
Get back on that short bus Belmontraider and you can come back off when you can come up with something better than "you're drunk"

Wife looked at my iPad screen and said, "I see you're looking at HS football junk, Belmont Traitor."
What???
I didn't realize what she meant and then I saw it... Belmontraider/Belmont Traitor. Ha! It's all in how you read it and pronounce it. I get what she saw at a casual first glance. Funny.

I agree South Point is a tough place to play. Lets see how many holding calls SP gets and how many the bears get. They should give opposing teams some KY when they go into Limberger because refs wear SP undershirts. SP is average and they will eventually choke. They got an easy bracket, scored a bunch of points, and now the SP crowd is throwing underwear and moonshine in the air. If you guys were in Hunter Husses bracket you would be sitting at home now. Huss will probably lose to Shelby but I doubt they will get the Southpoint goose egg.

I agree South Point is a tough place to play. Lets see how many holding calls SP gets and how many the bears get. They should give opposing teams some KY when they go into Limberger because refs wear SP undershirts. SP is average and they will eventually choke. They got an easy bracket, scored a bunch of points, and now the SP crowd is throwing underwear and moonshine in the air. If you guys were in Hunter Husses bracket you would be sitting at home now. Huss will probably lose to Shelby but I doubt they will get the Southpoint goose egg.
Will. They will lose to Shelby.

You have 27 posts and 26 have been an accumulation of inane, unintelligible, and uninformed comments. I didn't read the other one.

What's the verdict?
Sasha, I am convinced that the Pisgah Bears are actually a covert division of the CIA or possibly aliens. There is very little record of their existence. You can find a roster, but I believe all to be aliases. There are no videos and the photos have all been photo shopped.

Reactions: sasha_nc
Sasha, I am convinced that the Pisgah Bears are actually a covert division of the CIA or possibly aliens. There is very little record of their existence. You can find a roster, but I believe all to be aliases. There are no videos and the photos have all been photo shopped.

Bill Belichick' Kin

i could be way off here i know. got no dog in this fight. but i just have a feeling this game is going to surprise a lot of people.i am pulling for the mountain team here for sure. lots of respect for south point. i just think that pisgah is going to make a game out of it and i think they can win the game. their fullback is a load and i think they will try and slow the game down and control the tempo. just my opinion. good luck to the bears. hoping for a hard fought injury free game

Reactions: seadog28
Rocket fan,

Your feeling could come true. I've seen it before in Lineberger. I'm gonna be pissed if these players come in looking past a 1 loss team.

i could be way off here i know. got no dog in this fight. but i just have a feeling this game is going to surprise a lot of people.i am pulling for the mountain team here for sure. lots of respect for south point. i just think that pisgah is going to make a game out of it and i think they can win the game. their fullback is a load and i think they will try and slow the game down and control the tempo. just my opinion. good luck to the bears. hoping for a hard fought injury free game

This absolutely could happen. It is the third round. We all know it can also happen to an undefeated team in the first round. Think 1974, 1984, 2011. Focus, focus, focus.

Lot of fun trading barbs with the Bears this week, but we do respect anyone that we face in the 3rd round. I am sure that we see a quality team on Friday night. For any Bears fans, I am really interested in why there is so little data on the Bears team. I can find unlimited video, stats, etc. on anyone else in the hunt but there is nothing at all on the Bears. Just wondering if it is by design.

I posted this video on the other thread, you may have missed it. This is some quality video of the Bairs offense/defense, they are not the brightest so the O and D change very little from year to year. Game plan around this and SP should be just fine.

Several of Pisgah's coaches played in that game. The two interceptions are coaches and there is a lineman and wing somewhere in there.Maybe that is what they run.

It sure is WNC, it sure is. Love how after one if the INT's the Bair points to the THS QB then proceeds to run him over vs hitting the sideline for a TD. Bairs love contact, hope the lowlanders are ready for a smash mouth type of game.

Lot of fun trading barbs with the Bears this week, but we do respect anyone that we face in the 3rd round. I am sure that we see a quality team on Friday night. For any Bears fans, I am really interested in why there is so little data on the Bears team. I can find unlimited video, stats, etc. on anyone else in the hunt but there is nothing at all on the Bears. Just wondering if it is by design.
I wouldn't say by design over all the craze in our town about football (pisgah sports and the paper mill is about all we have) nobody as fans has ever really took the ball and ran with youtube videos or that type of thing, i can get you to a page with a lot of pictures but its going to be hard to find a video, our friends on the other end of the county had there own web page and things for a while just not really the style on this end of the county we would just rather show up and play, not much on the flash

Reactions: I-40 traveler
That guy pointing out the THS QB is our receivers coach. One thing I can guarantee. We will travel better to South Point than Tuscola did.

I hope so. All we heard is how big your team following is for both teams and how they have more fans than a lot of college games. The visitors stands last Friday night looked like a North Gaston crowd and that ain't something to brag about. The South Point concession stand cooked up thousands of burgers in preparation for that "crowd" that never showed up. I guess you will be eating week old leftovers this Friday.

That is a surprise for a Tuscola crowd....they went to Charlotte Catholic a few years ago and it was standing room only on the T side....the CC folks could not believe the numbers...most must have been tired from Black Friday Shopping....I imagine Pisgah will bring a good group so warm up the burgers.

I hope so. All we heard is how big your team following is for both teams and how they have more fans than a lot of college games. The visitors stands last Friday night looked like a North Gaston crowd and that ain't something to brag about. The South Point concession stand cooked up thousands of burgers in preparation for that "crowd" that never showed up. I guess you will be eating week old leftovers this Friday.
The largest crowds I've ever seen at Asheville high were tuscola in week 9 and south point in the 4th round snow bowl. Both in 2003.
Pisgah traveled ok to our place last year but nothing close to those tuscola south point 03 games. Asheville high seats 8,000 and there was at least that in both those games.

That is a surprise for a Tuscola crowd....they went to Charlotte Catholic a few years ago and it was standing room only on the T side....the CC folks could not believe the numbers...most must have been tired from Black Friday Shopping....I imagine Pisgah will bring a good group so warm up the burgers.
That's because CC has a soccer stadium with seating to match. Visitors side holds about 123. Mtn teams used to travel well....but maybe they're like SP. Our track used to be full EVERY game of the year no matter the record. The stands were as well. Now we have open areas all throughout the stands on home side too. Just a sign of the times I think.

Unfortunately that is correct. I have been going to SP games since 1970 and I have never seen home crowds this low, especially considering it is the playoffs. Still decent crowds and better than most all the schools we play, but in reality, attendance is down the last couple of years. It is a shame there is not more school and community pride these days.

Reactions: HardCorps82
The student section has been empty the past two weeks. Assume is due to holidays. Hope to have them back tonight. They are fun to watch.

With 4:34 left in the 1st quarter, the Red Raiders lead the Bears 14-0.

Bears had the ball first and advanced to the SP 33 before a false start pushed them back to the SP 38. Two sacks in the backfield, made it 3rd and 26, an incomplete pass forced the Bears to punt on 4th down. SP started from their own 14 but Jake Alexander carried to the P20. Several plays later QB Lee scored on a 9-yd run.

SP's Muse intercepted a pass on the 2nd play of the Bears next possession at the P22. Alexander scored on an 11-yd run.

Pisgah advanced to mid-field before having to punt. SP went 3 and out. 1Q ends - SP 14 -0 Pisgah with the ball.

Pisgah got to the SP 19 but could not get any closer. FG attempt wide. 8:04 left in 1st half.

After starting at their own 20, SP advanced to their own 45 before punting on 4th and 1. Pisgah at the P22.

Pisgah pass incomplete on 3rd and 6th - holding penalty on Pisgah, declined - brought up 4th down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT