ADVERTISEMENT

South Davidson

Coach and his staff worked hard with what they had, wish him the best. No Principal or HC and it is middle of June. Bad situation just got a lot worse down in Denton.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Hate it for South. There has never been a culture established for football there.

The culture is, of late, one of a victim. This last coach was supposed to be the right fit. Not so much. Turns out South needs more than just a rah rah guy.

There is a decent group of athletes coming up in the next year or two. Will the program survive to see it?
The very second that Uwharrie Charter starts a football team, South can put their program out to pasture.

Hate it for South. There has never been a culture established for football there.

The culture is, of late, one of a victim. This last coach was supposed to be the right fit. Not so much. Turns out South needs more than just a rah rah guy.

There is a decent group of athletes coming up in the next year or two. Will the program survive to see it?
The very second that Uwharrie Charter starts a football team, South can put their program out to pasture.

Yep.

Nothing will be done about Uwharrie.

Kevin Hudson is South’s new principal. He’s looking to hire a football coach as soon as he can. Because of administrative meetings he won’t be at the school until next week.

Reactions: RD28327
Uwharrie is the most hated school in the state. Thieves
Go ahead and block that SNut

I’m pleased that Kevin Hudson is going to serve as principal at South. He’ll do his best. As for the football coach, it really doesn’t matter who they pick for this year. This year is screwed. The work that needs to be done to be successful has already passed.

Looking back at prior coaches, its seems that the very best coach they ever had continues to be successful at Randleman. A 6-6 season at South is every bit as impressive as 12-1 is at Randleman.

I wonder if the folks at South understand that? The most highly regarded coach that ever walked the sidelines at South was rarely able to do that, at South or at Denton.

Meanwhile, the last guy they “let go” at South is continuing to coach in the northern end of the county. Although he is not currently a head coach, its clear that good head coaches think that he has value.

Pushing people aside who are willing to play the “long game” for a flash in the pan “rah rah” guy doesn’t usually play out.

G.A.T.A., R.I.P.

I’m pleased that Kevin Hudson is going to serve as principal at South. He’ll do his best. As for the football coach, it really doesn’t matter who they pick for this year. This year is screwed. The work that needs to be done to be successful has already passed.

Looking back at prior coaches, its seems that the very best coach they ever had continues to be successful at Randleman. A 6-6 season at South is every bit as impressive as 12-1 is at Randleman.

I wonder if the folks at South understand that? The most highly regarded coach that ever walked the sidelines at South was rarely able to do that, at South or at Denton.

Meanwhile, the last guy they “let go” at South is continuing to coach in the northern end of the county. Although he is not currently a head coach, its clear that good head coaches think that he has value.

Pushing people aside who are willing to play the “long game” for a flash in the pan “rah rah” guy doesn’t usually play out.

G.A.T.A., R.I.P.
I’m pretty sure you’re talking about John Shelton, who had a pair of six-win teams. Had a good QB in Phillip Freeze, who was also a great kicker. Also a great tight end in Shane Timmons, who went on to play at Catawba.

Shelton also brought in a good offensive coordinator in Ron Golden, who quarterbacked Jacksonville to the 4-A state championship in 1982 and was a baseball teammate of Mike Crowell at Pfeiffer.

In 2003 they actually led Thomasville 11-7 at halftime. For a couple of years they were pretty decent.

And good gosh Mike Crowell died way too young. A fine coach and even better man.

I’m pretty sure you’re talking about John Shelton, who had a pair of six-win teams. Had a good QB in Phillip Freeze, who was also a great kicker. Also a great tight end in Shane Timmons, who went on to play at Catawba.

Shelton also brought in a good offensive coordinator in Ron Golden, who quarterbacked Jacksonville to the 4-A state championship in 1982 and was a baseball teammate of Mike Crowell at Pfeiffer.

In 2003 they actually led Thomasville 11-7 at halftime. For a couple of years they were pretty decent.

And good gosh Mike Crowell died way too young. A fine coach and even better man.

I made a huge error in not mentioning Mike Crowell. You are correct. He was great for South. Excellent work ethic and unmatchable pride for his school. I really wish he was still around!

The biggest thing is he still will remain the Head for MBB at South, which i think they could find someone better for that job. But Gray Stone & Uwharrie pull away all the athletes and academic kids.

His teaching position no longer exists at South. They moved that PE position to an elementary school in the Ledford district. If he coaches Basketball, it will be from afar. That makes things hard.

I think South is doomed. I hate it, but I just don’t see any way out. They could redistrict, but that area of the county is sparce. You’d have to reach WAY up into the Central Davidson or East district to find enough kids to add just 100 kids.

Plus, one of the most PRO-South families I know... constantly talking about how to fix it and how people run to the charters... His kid got to high school and POOF... she was swimming for Gray Stone Day school this past year. Put up. Or shut up.

Reactions: mistermean1
South should look outside the county and outside the box. Hire a minority. Change the way ppl outside of Denton view Denton. It's ok to fail. Just try to mix it up sometime

South Davidson is the Stanley Co version of Albemarle, the Rowan Co version of North Rowan.... also fitting cause they share the same conference.... small schools are always looking to get squashed in this area. If you’re a 1A school in the Charlotte-Winston-Greensboro triangle, and you’re not a charter, you have it harder in edu and athletics than anyone else in the state.

South Davidson is the Stanley Co version of Albemarle, the Rowan Co version of North Rowan.... also fitting cause they share the same conference.... small schools are always looking to get squashed in this area. If you’re a 1A school in the Charlotte-Winston-Greensboro triangle, and you’re not a charter, you have it harder in edu and athletics than anyone else in the state.

You aren’t wrong.. But South’s problems go all the way back to before charter schools were a Phil Berger wet dream. They’ve had a little success in boy’s basketball, a fair amount of success in girl’s basketball. A championship in wrestling and some state individual champs in track and cross country.

They’d need a coach who is a special type. Total buy in. Not looking to go find a better situation. Not half-butt coaching and masking hard work for “pro wrestling fundraisers” and “G.A.T.A” (80s lingo) t-shirts.

And I’m not sure... but if the truth be told, I don’t think the parents down there are much help in getting a football culture in place. There has to be actual buy in from the community. The successful schools in the area are in the weight room, practicing hard in the spring, going to camps, etc. etc. etc. I don’t think South has done much of that in recent history.

I knew this would happen eventually.. the last guy seems like a good fella but it's hard as heck to juggle two athletic programs at one time regardless of the level 1A or 4A. The fact he made it as long as he did was a miracle but I knew he wouldn't last long. I watched film of them last year.. liked what he ran but it seems like something didn't fully click. They did dominate Atkins all across the board (which is something I never thought I would see considering Atkins's strives the past couple of years,) which showed their potential but it never really got better for them.

The timing is awfully bad here. This a situation that needed to happen last December, the guy made an epic mistake for quitting so late in the year. Granted he had the right to do it but it probably killed the kids spirits already. Those who bought in probably feel cheated. Whoever gets it will have to do a ton of hard work in a short time.. I feel for him. It looks like North Stokes and Carver will have non con conference wins over a public school (the former team,) for the first time in a while more than likely.

The sad part is there's not much more they can do really that they haven't done yet. They hired an HC from a big name school (don't wanna go into how awful that was,) hired one guy who quit on them before even doing anything, another who didn't last very long, and hired the guy everyone likes.. they've done almost everything. Only real options are to hire an old timer with a ton of success wanting a last hurrah or do what Champ said . Chatham Central did that when they hired Sherman Howze. His hiring was very random but he's doubled the wins his predecessor has had and their #'s have went up quite a bit. Taking risks can pay off.

Glad to see they have talent coming though.. they just need stability. That's the main thing.. the new guy has got to love the area and people enough to take the losses. Eventually it will get better once he stays there for more than a term and people consider him a part of the institution.

The new principal South will have i think will change a lot... he’s a former coach and AD from Central Davidson. So he’s an athletics guy, and is really well known through the county. South really could use a haul over on their AD position as well... really a total overhaul outside of WBB, Track, Tennis, volleyball.

Yep.

Nothing will be done about Uwharrie.
News report today indicating that the Uwharrie basketball coach and his wife, the school's accounts payable clerk, have resigned amid allegations of large amounts of money missing from the school. So I guess something will be done. Remains to be seen just what.

On a side note, that has nothing to do with topic, but Slasher is back, must be getting close to football season.

Thanks buddy that made my day to see that just now.. woulda been back earlier but life and the HC change at North made it tough for a bit. Everything's getting settled now which is a major +.

So glad it's back I was bored with work for a while lol.

The new principal South will have i think will change a lot... he’s a former coach and AD from Central Davidson. So he’s an athletics guy, and is really well known through the county. South really could use a haul over on their AD position as well... really a total overhaul outside of WBB, Track, Tennis, volleyball.

That's the best thing for them honestly.. when a whole athletic system school wide's not working in a lot of sports it's gotta be the first thing addressed. Getting a principal who has been a coach before is one of the best things ever for a school honestly because athletics won't be put on the back burner along with the other extra curricular stuff.. All aspects need to work together to make a school great.

I champion South a lot but they are really a root-able story. I like what I seen about the principal. I got good vibe from it.

Also the former foot all coach, from what I’m told, isn’t even in the country on vacation, and had his assistant basketball coaches coach the basketball team at team camp this week... if that tells you anything.

I’m pretty sure he won’t be teaching at SDHS next year. While that doesn’t exclude him from being able to coach basketball at South, it would make an already hard coaching job even harder. I think the PE position was moved to Hasty Elementary (in Ledford High’s district). I don’t know that for certain. Just what I’ve heard.

The job is still posted. Perhaps this is the year that they have to scrap the season? I feel bad, as the new principal is a solid hire. He’s got a lot of work to do down there, football being just one of them.

South had a couple of assistants when the unfortunate loss of Crowell happened, again when the 4A guy was fired and the third one left. Then they hired the northern davidson county guy and he left. Had well liked on staff options and always went outside seeking that miracle hire. Most recent coach worked hard but they cut his teaching job. Things could have been different thru better decisions with those hires, but they let some good coaches walk out of the building and take their experience to other schools. Don’t see why the current basketball coach would stick around, isn’t in the hallways to recruit and work the kids. New Principal is in a bind with limited hire potential due to budget cuts and lack of positions. I think they are looking for a math or science position to hire for and summer is done. Two weeks in July are dead with no activity. As recent as 2011-12 South had both varsity and JV teams and around 45-50 kids playing. Numbers are an issue and lack of consistency has killed the program.

John Shelton was the coach that had the three 6-6 seasons or so. Shelton wanted the job when Crowell passed but they went outside. The current coach at Randleman barely won a game if any at south. Tells you that good coaching combined with Jimmy’s and joes can beat someone else x’s and o’s. As for an African American coach, I like the idea because the area needs to learn diversity and might get some athletic kids to go there. Every school in the conference has athletic kids but SD (Jimmy’s and Joe’s)! It is a tough spot for the kids so the new admin needs to get a good, positive hire in there and let the coach build the program from the bottom up and that will take time and patience.

Baseball and wrestling are the other PE teachers. Wrestling was on football staff for several years but no longer. No current staffers will be on the sidelines this year looks like. I would say your sources are solid. Crowell coached both, but it started hurting both programs towards the end. They got a guy on staff that loves the school and sport but I think he is getting out of football also down there. School had 450 kids three years ago and will open with about 350 or less this time. Something bad is wrong down there.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Actually, they have an assistant that has kept the summer weight room available. Word I was told is about 25 players who return or are rising 9th graders are expected. Hopefully the new coach will recruit a few more when in place. Do I expect a big change? It all depends on the right hire. They have had 30 plus in years past. Idk...but I think it is too early to say that the program is ready to fold.

Actually, they have an assistant that has kept the summer weight room available. Word I was told is about 25 players who return or are rising 9th graders are expected. Hopefully the new coach will recruit a few more when in place. Do I expect a big change? It all depends on the right hire. They have had 30 plus in years past. Idk...but I think it is too early to say that the program is ready to fold.

I truly hope it doesn’t fold. They deserve better and would get better if there was someone there that would set the bar higher than just opening the weight room. The successful programs in the county require it. It’s going to be a very difficult culture change down there. Last year was a lot of pomp with zero circumstance.

There is a decent group of athletes on the way up. I hope that there is something there for them when they get there.

There are plenty of quality assistants, OC/DC’s in Davidson County that are great candidates. Anyone know how many have applied?

There are plenty of quality assistants, OC/DC’s in Davidson County that are great candidates. Anyone know how many have applied?

There are several that would like to become a head coach one day... but with the uncertainty of South, the distance from their homes, etc. It just isn’t a place that many people see themselves staying for any length of time. It’s a shame... they have a nice facility, the area is really nice and affordable.

Winning will take time, and likely a lot of ups and just as many downs along the way.

I don't wanna see South fold honestly either.. they are so dang rootable. If South ever quits then it will be a sad day for Football because if they go under after trying so hard then all the other struggling programs will start and it will be rough. South doesn't need a band aid they need plastic surgery and a rehab program. It's gonna take a couple of years but if they can find someone who has no ego and can take the L's for a bit they can be okay.

It is possible for them to recover.. Chatham Central's improved a ton in just 3 years with some stability finally coming their way once Howze got the job. They went from being the worst of the worst taking a while to win a game to winning a few every year and they have one of 1A's best QB's.. anything is possible.

In the words of JFK when he ran for President in 1960: "South must do better." The timing sucks but by getting someone now even if he's a 1 year guy before they can start a hardcore search in November will keep it going. The kids just need a reason to believe. Weight room won't do that.. getting them on the field and having a coach for them will.

Before the job was handed to Ellington, the previous Coach, Tippett, was basically replaced. He didn’t resign, he didn’t even leave South at that point. The kids were quitting and it was looking as if they were going to have to fold right then.

Was he a bad coach? I don’t know, but the signs point to no, because he is still coaching... at Ledford last year and now Oak Grove I think. Was he making the kids down there work harder and go in a different direction than they have been accustomed? I don’t know...

I don’t know who, if anyone can get it in the heads of the people at South that they aren’t “less” and they aren’t victims at the hands of the wealthier northern part. I do think that this is the first, rather large obstacle in getting anything done there.

Has to be important to the coach, players, parents and community. Looking bad at this point with two weeks to season starting. Not just getting a coach, but having a parent meeting, getting staff, physical, Nchsaa paperwork and a huge list of other things to accomplish before hitting the field 8/1. Bad for the kids!

The posting for the Head Football Coach is no longer posted on the county’s website.

Anyone got any idea who they’ve hired?

That would be the easiest thing for right now if I was the principal. I would hire someone then see if he has potential and if he doesn't I'd say see ya and do an extensive search. Davidson's huge as it is so they could pick anyone they would want if he has the chance.

The main thing now is making it through the season, once that happens they can redefine things fully.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT