ADVERTISEMENT

Some Shelby history

interesting read....thanks for sharing....wonder what Mr. Hudson would think about the high school game if he could see one now??

interesting read....thanks for sharing....wonder what Mr. Hudson would think about the high school game if he could see one now??
One would think he’d marvel at the size, strength, speed, etc of the athletes. However, he’d probably be shocked at the softness it is played compared to the 1920s. Although, that’s relative, I believe Teddy Roosevelt had a relative killed in a college football game in that time period. It wasn’t uncommon either.

After several deaths (1905) I think.....Roosevelt got the leading colleges (mostly Ivy league schools because they were the powerhouses back then) together and mandated that they make some significant changes in the way the game was played especially...mass formation plays.....legalizing the forward pass had a lot to do with loosening up the game where size and strength weren't quite as important..............

After several deaths (1905) I think.....Roosevelt got the leading colleges (mostly Ivy league schools because they were the powerhouses back then) together and mandated that they make some significant changes in the way the game was played especially...mass formation plays.....legalizing the forward pass had a lot to do with loosening up the game where size and strength weren't quite as important..............
You are correct. Wild how the game used to be. Cool stuff though

Reactions: UNC91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT