ADVERTISEMENT

Some North Davidson thoughts

crazyduke3

Mar 28, 2010
Hi fellows, hope everybody has had a blessed summer and life is great for you. It's thankfully that time for football again! So I just wanted to create some small discussion about North.

First, is this for sure the last year for Midway? Will the school be smaller next year? It breaks my heart that this happening but it is what it is.

We got a pretty exciting schedule I think, though the three straight road games is rough. Still, we will get the Raiders at home finally and I think West also, so that will be important. We are getting some Charlotte action also, so that will really help the boys.

I also wanna say something about Holcomb, because his team could be so different next year. Probably the most significant thing that he has done to make ND great again is create a winning and proud culture. When I came through, while the guys on the team were proud of being black knights, there were a lot of guys who played and quit next year or didn't play at all after middle school that we really needed to be successful. They didn't care or have much pride in the football team. Well now there are roughly 120 kids on the team this year, just unbelievable. A big part of that is because coach has created a winning environment that people just naturally wanna be a part of. This has lead to great success and coach has been a tremendous part of this. If you know Mark, he's very humble but works very hard and knows his stuff and the kids just love him. They buy what he's selling because what he sells is sincerity.

Finally I just wanna wish all the seniors the best year of their lives. Take the time and enjoy it boys. It's a real treasure to be able to go out there and put the pads on. If you only get in on practice, or your the starting QB, savor every second of it, because for most of you, after this season it's gone forever. I hope you boys have an awesome season to carry with you forever. Kicked off, I know this is a big year for you folks.

Go knights.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Crazy duke , will hate to see you guys leave the CPC. That will be strange w/o ND. With Holcomb at the helm you should continue to be good at the 2A level.

I know this is a football board but I just wanted to say with downsizing to 2A in 2017, man is that area going to be hard to handle in baseball.

Within 30 or so miles you'll have North, Oak Grove, Randleman, Ledford, seems theres another power or two we've discussed but I'm drawing blanks.

It will be difficult to beat these teams in the playoffs.

And yes I agree North will still be very good in football as well...

Keep in mind that ND and Ledford will play 2A ball next year with all of their seniors and juniors. Oak Grove will start with 9th and 10th grade only. I expect ND to be a favorite for a 2A title next year.

After Oak Grove is fully populated, they will be the powerhouse if they get good coaching. The main talent pools from both Ledford and ND fall in the Oak Grove district.

According to the dispatch, north will go down to 2a with 4a numbers for a couple more years because oak grove will only be grades 9 and 10 starting out. Look forward to it...

As for this year, we will be very exciting on offense and will average a high number of points per game. My concern is on defense. Not that we're bad, but we have not been as aggressive as north used to be on that side of the ball the last few years. Defense has gotten passive and we try to outscore people nowadays.

Offense and Special teams should be strengths this year, for sure, but I think there is a lot of talent on the D as well. Team speed, athletes, depth better this year on defense than last year (In my opinion). We are not a big team, but a ball control offense can take a lot of pressure off of the defense. Last year, defense kind of carried us thru the first games until offense caught fire. I will say it again and you guys can call me out if I am wrong, I think this has the makings of a special team this year. All the pieces are there (coaches, skill players, systems, depth, etc) to go very deep in playoffs. Got to stay healthy at 2-3 positions and get a few bounces/breaks here and there, otherwise a great year to be a Black Knight!!!!

QB Joe Butts and WR Nygil Dalton are a dangerous combo. The Butts kid is the best I have ever seen at north and think he is the best passer in the state. Strong arm, accurate and extremely quick release. Do not understand why no one has offered this kid. The new rb looks good so far in scrimmages and special teams will be great. The D has some young players and have looked shaky in scrimmages, but Holcomb and staff will coach them up.

Right now it looks like I'll be in town for Ledford and I'm very excited for that game.... even if I don't think it will be close!

Sportsnut, it will not feel right at all to do yearly battles in the CPC. I took a serious amount of pride of being a part that conference, Charlotte folks opinion be danged.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Also wanna shout out Bryce Williams who is fighting for a spot on the patriots right now. Anybody who watched him at ND, remembers how ultra talented he was.

It is going to be weird seeing ND drop to 2A. I hope you guys still continue to do football the way you do. ND has one of the best high school football atmospheres in the state.

North should go out of 4A with a bang this year. I will go out on a limb and predict we max out our Winston-Salem Journal All NW spots this year (think its 5 players max). Team may do well enough that deserving players get left off (a travesty but good problem to have). The Offense could be that good, as that unit alone could yield 3-4 players with Butts as a possible player of the year. I think the defense has atleast 3 players who could get into the conversation. Restated, somebody from ND is getting left off the awards list. All that being said, also believe quite a few of these kids would trade in all County, Conference, NW, Etc for a conference championship and a banner in the gym. Chemistry is pretty strong for August!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT