ADVERTISEMENT

Smoky Mountain Conference teams unbeaten after week #1!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
All 7 SMC teams won their opening week games last night with Andrews,Hayesville,Swain County and Robbinsville winning on the road....Cherokee, Murphy and Rosman won their home openers....

Impressive starts for Andrews,Cherokee,Hayesville,Rosman and Murphy with the Bulldogs pulling off the biggest win of the night with a 34-28 victory over a very good 2A Hendersonville team that is picked to win the WHC....Cherokee with a shutout at home, while Andrews shutdown the passing attack of Brevard with a 20-6 victory...Hayesville traveled across the border, and shutdown Towns County Ga., and my Rosman Tigers manhandled Shannon Forest as Rosman Sr. RB Gage Orr had a big night in the 49-8 romp by the Tigers...

It's always tough to win on the road as defending state champ Robbinsville found out in the opener as they escaped with a 1 point win over an obviously improved 2A Smoky Mountain team....Was surprised somewhat by the Swain/Hapeville Ga. score, but never underestimate the talent of a Georgia team, especially on the road...I'm sure that Coach Blankenship and Walsh are just glad to get back home with a "W"...

Overall it was a great opening night for the SMC, and could very well be the first time that I can remember all 7 teams in the conference opening up with a win on opening night!

Congratulations to all the SMC teams, and good luck next week against your next Non-conference opponent!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: KevinFromSwain
All 7 SMC teams won their opening week games last night with Andrews,Hayesville,Swain County and Robbinsville winning on the road....Cherokee, Murphy and Rosman won their home openers....

Impressive starts for Andrews,Cherokee,Hayesville,Rosman and Murphy with the Bulldogs pulling off the biggest win of the night with a 34-28 victory over a very good 2A Hendersonville team that is picked to win the WHC....Cherokee with a shutout at home, while Andrews shutdown the passing attack of Brevard with a 20-6 victory...Hayesville traveled across the border, and shutdown Towns County Ga., and my Rosman Tigers manhandled Shannon Forest as Rosman Sr. RB Gage Orr had a big night in the 49-8 romp by the Tigers...

It's always tough to win on the road as defending state champ Robbinsville found out in the opener as they escaped with a 1 point win over an obviously improved 2A Smoky Mountain team....Was surprised somewhat by the Swain/Hapeville Ga. score, but never underestimate the talent of a Georgia team, especially on the road...I'm sure that Coach Blankenship and Walsh are just glad to get back home with a "W"...

Overall it was a great opening night for the SMC, and could very well be the first time that I can remember all 7 teams in the conference opening up with a win on opening night!

Congratulations to all the SMC teams, and good luck next week against your next Non-conference opponent!

Roar Tigers Roar!
As far back as I can remember this is truly a first! The whole dang Conference winning the opener, that's like unheard of in Football. As proud as we of the SMC are of those State Titles I tell you what this week was very special knowing we are all UNDEFEATED going into week 2. Heck I can recall back to the late '60s and I can't recall this happening.

This ole fan is very proud of every SMC team this week... Now let's shoot for 14 total wins by next Saturday.

Rville and Murphy will have a hard time winning next friday.

The same will go for Cherokee too. We'll probably have the more athletic team but Mitchell has to many coming back this season.

Well over the years we all thought we had seen the SMC do everything there is to do in high school football. Until last night when the whole SMC goes 7-0 on opening night. I think us SMC folk sometimes take for granted what we have here. it's truly SPECIAL what we have in the SMC and we all need to be proud of the recognition a bunch of tough, mountain raised kids have brought to our area for the last several decades. CONGRATS TO THE BEST FOOTBALL TRADITION IN THE STATE, THE SMC !!

I agree, it was a great opening week for the SMC with a 7-0 showing. However, let's not get too carried away here folks. Towns County, Shannon Forest, Brevard, Trinity, etc. aren't exactly what I would call juggernauts! This feat could be accomplished almost every season with the right schedule. A cool stat to add to the books nonetheless. As a whole, I do believe the SMC is stronger this season than in recent years. I could see #1 through #6 place in a number of different finishing orders at this point. Looking forward to another great season here in the Smoky Mountain Conference!!

I enjoy football much better when every week u got good teams playing like the old days of smc ... Lately my braves included have been pretty bad so it's exciting to see everyone win ..

I agree, it was a great opening week for the SMC with a 7-0 showing. However, let's not get too carried away here folks. Towns County, Shannon Forest, Brevard, Trinity, etc. aren't exactly what I would call juggernauts! This feat could be accomplished almost every season with the right schedule. A cool stat to add to the books nonetheless. As a whole, I do believe the SMC is stronger this season than in recent years. I could see #1 through #6 place in a number of different finishing orders at this point. Looking forward to another great season here in the Smoky Mountain Conference!!

You're right 4th and Inches, those teams above are not juggernauts, but how do you know that going into the season?.....Shannon Forest and Trinity are first year varsity programs with atheletes which make both capable of beating you if you don't play well, and both Towns and especially Brevard have had good teams in the past, so you just never know what to expect in an opener?......I'm just glad that for the first time that I can remember all the SMC teams won on opening week, and like Knine stated above, that's something to be proud of if you're a fan of the SMC?

Of course, last year all the SMC teams made the playoffs, and that hasn't always been the case either....

I do agree that the conference as a whole does seem to be more competitive this year, which should bode well come playoff time as long as key players on each team stay healthy....

Good luck to all the SMC teams this coming week!

Roar Tigers Roar!

You're right 4th and Inches, those teams above are not juggernauts, but how do you know that going into the season?.....Shannon Forest and Trinity are first year varsity programs with atheletes which make both capable of beating you if you don't play well, and both Towns and especially Brevard have had good teams in the past, so you just never know what to expect in an opener?......I'm just glad that for the first time that I can remember all the SMC teams won on opening week, and like Knine stated above, that's something to be proud of if you're a fan of the SMC?

Of course, last year all the SMC teams made the playoffs, and that hasn't always been the case either....

I do agree that the conference as a whole does seem to be more competitive this year, which should bode well come playoff time as long as key players on each team stay healthy....

Good luck to all the SMC teams this coming week!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Rick- You just agreed with me that those teams are not juggernauts and then asked my how I know that going into the season. Since you agree with me, I will ask you the same thing... how do YOU know that going into the season? As for me, you outlined it pretty well, "first year" teams and Towns County and Brevard speak for themselves. With all of the season previews, preseason ratings/rankings, my own personal observations, and just plain common sense I arrived at my decision that those teams don't have a snowballs chance in hell at playing for a state title this year or even making the playoffs. Now, if any of these teams turn out to be world beaters this year I will gladly come back on here and eat my crow (served cold of course)!

Moving forward, I think the more impressive feat was not the SMC going 7-0 but rather the play of Murphy, Swain, and Robbinsville on Friday night! I mean Robbinsville coming back and going for 2 on the road, and Murphy holding off 2A powerhouse Hendersonville, and then Swain getting it done down in Atlanta were all impressive in their own right. Again, I'm not taking anything away from the other teams and it was great to see the conference start off with W's but I'm not much for participation trophies and am just calling it like I see it, agree or disagree.

Rick- You just agreed with me that those teams are not juggernauts and then asked my how I know that going into the season. Since you agree with me, I will ask you the same thing... how do YOU know that going into the season? As for me, you outlined it pretty well, "first year" teams and Towns County and Brevard speak for themselves. With all of the season previews, preseason ratings/rankings, my own personal observations, and just plain common sense I arrived at my decision that those teams don't have a snowballs chance in hell at playing for a state title this year or even making the playoffs. Now, if any of these teams turn out to be world beaters this year I will gladly come back on here and eat my crow (served cold of course)!

Moving forward, I think the more impressive feat was not the SMC going 7-0 but rather the play of Murphy, Swain, and Robbinsville on Friday night! I mean Robbinsville coming back and going for 2 on the road, and Murphy holding off 2A powerhouse Hendersonville, and then Swain getting it done down in Atlanta were all impressive in their own right. Again, I'm not taking anything away from the other teams and it was great to see the conference start off with W's but I'm not much for participation trophies and am just calling it like I see it, agree or disagree.

Fourth, you do realize you are talking about Andrews, Cherokee and Hayesville, right? Schools that have been at the bottom tier of the conference for practically the last decade. Schools also with less then 300 students. Now I'm not taking anything away from the wins they had this past Friday but for any of us true SMC fans to see Andrews, Cherokee and Hayesville to win in the same night is exciting and proud. Football is football and anything can happen when played on that field. Of course they aren't the powerhouses that are use to winning every Friday night but give credit where credit is due. Getting a W to open the football season is awesome for those programs and only makes the SMC tougher and look better. I remember when Andrews went 2 years without a W and Cherokee recently broke a losing streak of their own so let's not talk about who they beat when them getting a win no matter who it is, is great for them. I hope that continues into next week for them and good luck to all SMC teams next Friday.

Andrews and Cherokee might have less than 300 but not Hayesville. Hville was about 380 or round about.

If you think about it these small schools are pretty amazing... fielding a football team from 130 boys is very impressive doing it on the level robbinsville has is unbelievable ..

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Fourth, you do realize you are talking about Andrews, Cherokee and Hayesville, right? Schools that have been at the bottom tier of the conference for practically the last decade. Schools also with less then 300 students. Now I'm not taking anything away from the wins they had this past Friday but for any of us true SMC fans to see Andrews, Cherokee and Hayesville to win in the same night is exciting and proud. Football is football and anything can happen when played on that field. Of course they aren't the powerhouses that are use to winning every Friday night but give credit where credit is due. Getting a W to open the football season is awesome for those programs and only makes the SMC tougher and look better. I remember when Andrews went 2 years without a W and Cherokee recently broke a losing streak of their own so let's not talk about who they beat when them getting a win no matter who it is, is great for them. I hope that continues into next week for them and good luck to all SMC teams next Friday.

murphydawglife- You are right! I did not realize who I was talking about, thank you for pointing that out to me. You will have to forgive me as I have not been following SMC football for very long. I am going to do more research to find out about some of these Andrews, Hayesville teams that you speak of so that I will be more educated on them in the future. Thanks again!!

Perhaps you could do a better job reading my post and become more educated as well. For the record,I did give credit where credit was due but I'm not going to blow this 7-0 thing up into something it's not. It's in black and white (please see above). I wasn't speaking bad about the SMC teams, more pointing out that the teams that they played weren't exactly world beaters. I apologize if you did not understand it the way it was to be intended. In the meantime I've got some learning to do about these SMC teams! :D

Thank you, we the people of Andrews are proud to say we play in the toughest conference in the state. we also support our conference teams come playoffs and state title games. it gets a little old hearing oh they only beat this poor old team or that bad team. The way we look at is we beat a 2A school which had more than 3 times the kids we have and then beat a Tenn 2A school the next week. We don't get on here and brag about those wins but we get shot down by the negative remarks from SOME of the big schools in our conference. Maybe some of these should step back before they make a negative comment and remember the times the Andrews, Cherokee, Hayesville fans get on here and congratulate them for their great run in the playoffs or winning a State Championship

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT