ADVERTISEMENT

SMC

buzzcoach

Apr 26, 2004
winston salem nc
Just in case y'all didn't know SMC is one of the top conferences in football in the History of NC HS Football! They many have many State Championship Rings that no one will ever match! My hats of to all those great teams from the past! Please SMC guys post Ships and accolades here so we can be in awe of past HS Football History!

GIF by Golden State Warriors

Just in case y'all didn't know SMC is one of the top conferences in football in the History of NC HS Football! They many have many State Championship Rings that no one will ever match! My hats of to all those great teams from the past! Please SMC guys post Ships and accolades here so we can be in awe of past HS Football History!
Just in case y’all didn’t know, this year’s MA team is the best team EVER assembled! I heard the nchsaa was just gonna go ahead and give them the state title. But not just the 1a title, but ALL the titles, 1a thru 4a! The SEC and Big 10 are in talks with them right now and the will wage a huge bidding war for da bears! Scratch that, those conferences said “Screw that! Our teams aren’t good enough to play with them either. Let the NFL deal with them!” An NFL decision is pending. Stay tuned. IMO they may skip all the hoopla and just go ahead and give them the Lombardi Trophy and put them in the NFL HOF right now.

Just in case y’all didn’t know, this year’s MA team is the best team EVER assembled! I heard the nchsaa was just gonna go ahead and give them the state title. But not just the 1a title, but ALL the titles, 1a thru 4a! The SEC and Big 10 are in talks with them right now and the will wage a huge bidding war for da bears! Scratch that, those conferences said “Screw that! Our teams aren’t good enough to play with them either. Let the NFL deal with them!” An NFL decision is pending. Stay tuned. IMO they may skip all the hoopla and just go ahead and give them the Lombardi Trophy and put them in the NFL HOF right now.
Did I hurt your feelings bro???

Here is a little history for you Buzz. The accolades will speak for themselves.

Total State Championships:
Andrews-5: 1958, 1963,64,66, 1967
Robbinsville-15: 1965, 69, 1970,73,74,76,77,79, 1980,81,82,83, 1992, 2014, 2019
Murphy-11: 1970,74, 1986,87, 1991,96, 2011,13,16,18 2020
Swain-8: 1979, 1985,88,89, 1990, 2001,04, 2011
Cherokee-1: 2017
(Includes Murphy and Swains 2A titles)

Total State Championship Appearances since 1972:
Cherokee-2: W1 L1
Murphy-13: W10 L3
Robbinsville-16: W14 L2
Swain-11-: W8 L3
(Robbinsville is tied with Shelby for the most appearances since 1972)

Record of State Championship Teams since 1972:
Robbinsville W:147 L:15
Murphy W:135 L:11
Swain W:108 L:11
Cherokee W:14 L:1
Totaling 404 wins and 38 losses with all teams combined

Lets break that down a little more and look into playoff records.

Playoff Appearances/ W/L Record since 1972:
Andrews- 19 Appearances Wins: 12 Losses: 19
Cherokee- 31 Appearances Wins:28 Losses:30
Hayesville- 29 Appearances Wins: 17 Losses 29
Murphy- 37 Appearances Wins:57 Losses:27
Robbinsville- 42 Appearances Wins:76 Losses: 30
Swain County- 41 Appearances Wins:95 Losses:33

Total Combined Appearances: 199
Total Wins: 285
(Shelby is the only team that has more playoff wins than Swain County with 116 wins)

State Records/Statistics:

-Robbinsville is tied for 3rd all time for most points in a 1A State Championship with 68. (Also at 25th with 50)
-Robbinsville is 2nd all time for consecutive State Championships with 5 from 1979-1983.
-Coach Bob Colvin holds the record for most State Titles with 11.
-Murphy is 8th all time with 60. (Also at 12th with 56)
-David Gentry is the all time Career Win record holder with 426 wins.
-David Gentry is also the all time Career Win record holder for most wins at the same school with 366 at Murphy.
-Willie Brown (Murphy) and Jason Bateman (Andrews) are tied in 8th place for most touchdowns in a single game with 7 each.
-Chris Tarnowski(Murphy) sits in 3rd place all time for most Extra Points kicked at 247.
-Carl Pickens (Murphy) holds the record for most TD receptions in a season with 20
-Nat Watson (Swain County) is 7th all time for most TD receptions in a game with 5.
-Stub Hyde (Swain County) holds the record for most kickoffs returned for touchdowns in a game with 2.

Most Rushing Yards (Career)
-Rylee Anderson 29th with 6,159 yards (Robbinsville)
-Randy Mosteller 56th with 5,220 yards (Hayesville)
-Travis McCracken 57th with 5,219 yards (Robbinsville)
-Rocky Deitz 107th with 4,287 yards (Swain County)
-Cuttler Adams willl end up in the mix as he is in his Senior Season this year chasing Rylee Andersons record.

Most Rushing Yards (Season)
-Larry Beck 146th with 2,219 yards (Swain County)

Most Rushing Yards (Game)
-Willie Brown 9th with 457 yards (Murphy)
-Larry Beck 17th with 427 yards (Swain)
-Cruz Galaviz 58th with 374 yards (Robbinsville)

Most 100 Yard Rushing Games (Season)
-Rylee Anderson 11th win 13 games (Robbinsville)

Most Passing Yards (Career)
-Dusty Anderson 23rd with 7,682 yards (Robbinsville)
-Heath Shuler 28th with 7,098 yards (Swain County)

(Notable Names ahead of 2 listed above)
-1st all time is Chris Leak, former Florida Gator and BCS National Champ
-2nd all time is Sam Howell, current NFL QB for the Washington Commanders

(Notable Names Below Dusty and Heath)
36th all time is Drake Maye, current QB and heisman candidate for UNC
54th all time is Hendon Hooker, Rookie NFL QB who was in heisman conversation at Tennessee in 2022

Most Passing Yards (Season)
-Heath Shuler 42nd with 3,625 yards (Swain County)
-Dusty Anderson 47th with 3,598 yards (Robbinsville)
-Dusty Anderson 165th with 2,837 yards (Robbinsville)
-Ray Smith 179th with 2,771 yards (Swain County)

Most Receptions (Career)
-Kyle Garland 13th with 182 (Robbinsville)
-Carl Pickens 29th with 154 (Murphy)

Most Receptions (Season)
-Kyle Garland(2003) t-30th with 88 (Robbinsville)
-Kyle Garland(2002) t-78th with 72 (Robbinsville)
-Carl Pickens t-82nd with 71 (Murphy)
-Anthony Brown t-87th with 70 (Robbinsville)

Most Receiving Yards (Season)
-Kyle Garland 14th with 1,699 yards (Robbinsville)
-Carl Pickens 24th with 1,536 yards (Murphy)
-Greg Tisho 34th with 1,441 yards (Swain County)
-Matthew Maennle 59th with 1,301 yards (Swain County)

Most Receiving Yards (Career)
-Carl Pickens 19th with 3,066 yards (Murphy)
-Kyle Garland 20th with 3,016 yards (Robbinsville)
-Ty Gibbs 37th with 2,531 yards (Robbinsville)

Notable Alumni from the SMC:

-Carl Pickens (Murphy): NFL Receiver and 2x Pro-Bowler
-Heath Shuler (Swain County) NFL QB and Tennessee Volunteer QB
-Willie Brown (Murphy)
-Butch Sursavage (Andrews) Clemson DE
-Yousef Mugharbil (Murphy) NC State offensive Lineman
-Tyler West (Andrews) Current commit to NC State
-Tucker Holloway (Andrews) VT kick returner

Other Notable Players
-Matt Maennle- Mars Hill (Swain County)
-Skyler Matheson-WCU (Robbinsville)
-Ian Curtis-Emory and Henry (Andrews)
-Alex Ledford-Emory and Henry (Andrews)
-JT Self-Emory and Henry (Andrews)
-Jordan Collins- Emory and Henry (Andrews)
-Randy Hernandez- Mars Hill (Robbinsville)
-Michael Curry-Georgia (Murphy)
-Cruz Galaviz- Mars Hill (Robbinsville)
-Chris Daniels- Mars Hill (Robbinsville)
-Isaac Weaver- Mars Hill (Andrews)
-Josh Gibson- WCU (Robbinsville)
-Robby Brown- WCU (Swain County)
-Ray Smith-WCU (Swain Sounty)

plenty more that im forgetting

(Shelby is the only team that has more playoff wins than Swain County with 116 wins)

-Robbinsville is tied for 3rd all time for most points in a 1A State Championship with 68. (Also at 25th with 50)
-Robbinsville is 2nd all time for consecutive State Championships with 5 from 1979-1983.
-David Gentry is also the all time Career Win record holder for most wins at the same school with 366 at Murphy.
-Willie Brown (Murphy) and Jason Bateman (Andrews) are tied in 8th place for most touchdowns in a single game with 7 each.
-Chris Tarnowski(Murphy) sits in 3rd place all time for most Extra Points kicked at 247.
-Carl Pickens (Murphy) holds the record for most TD receptions in a season with 20
-Nat Watson (Swain County) is 7th all time for most TD receptions in a game with 5.
-Stub Hyde (Swain County) holds the record for most kickoffs returned for touchdowns in a game with 2.

-Cuttler Adams willl end up in the mix as he is in his Senior Season this year chasing Rylee Andersons record.

54th all time is Hendon Hooker, Rookie NFL QB who was in heisman conversation at Tennessee in 2022

Most Receptions (Career)

Most Receptions (Season)

-Willie Brown (Murphy)

Other Notable Players

Holy crap!!! What a history and tradition you all have! WOW! When you have guys in the starting line up that almost had their arm cut off with a chainsaw what else can you expect!? And I mean that in the most respectful way!! You see teams dominate in spurts and my respect to them as well! But to keep a tradition going for decades is hard to imagine. Youth leagues, community involvement, great support, great school systems and the most important great parents for role models, I would say it has took every bit of those to accomplish this. No slight to any other leagues either, but reading all that was pretty impressive. West Virginia doesn’t have one site as fun and entertaining as this one. And I stumbled onto this site by accident looking for family tree info in Haywood County. Whatever you all are doin down there, keep it goin. That was impressive and I don’t mean that to stir either. I will pay my respect to any of the other leagues as well. I like Mitchell and their league too. I bet every locker room in the SMC has this history up to teach these kids what they play for. Give it all ya got with a lot of pride and the winning and losing will work itself out. Sounds like you all have it figured out!!!

GO KNIGHTS!!!

It "appears" that you could combine all those former players into an all star team and not have a chance in Mayberry the next few years. They are loaded with D1 talent, huge lineman and are faster than any 1A team in the state of NC and SC. Nick Saban goes by once a week and the Georgia coach has a permanent hotel room in Mayberry to get dibs on all those studs they have in little league and middle school that are coming up into the program. I guess all the other 1A west teams should just forfeit come playoff time since the Bears are unbeatable. Maybe the SMC could put together an all star team and have a chance or atleast only give up 40-50 points to those 4.3 40 RB's.

You n
Holy crap!!! What a history and tradition you all have! WOW! When you have guys in the starting line up that almost had their arm cut off with a chainsaw what else can you expect!? And I mean that in the most respectful way!! You see teams dominate in spurts and my respect to them as well! But to keep a tradition going for decades is hard to imagine. Youth leagues, community involvement, great support, great school systems and the most important great parents for role models, I would say it has took every bit of those to accomplish this. No slight to any other leagues either, but reading all that was pretty impressive. West Virginia doesn’t have one site as fun and entertaining as this one. And I stumbled onto this site by accident looking for family tree info in Haywood County. Whatever you all are doin down there, keep it goin. That was impressive and I don’t mean that to stir either. I will pay my respect to any of the other leagues as well. I like Mitchell and their league too. I bet every locker room in the SMC has this history up to teach these kids what they play for. Give it all ya got with a lot of pride and the winning and losing will work itself out. Sounds like you all have it figured out!!!

GO KNIGHTS!!!
Need to get you down here to catch a game sometime.

Reactions: RealStihl
I Really appreciate that and would love to brother! And I am gonna do it sometime! That’s on my bucket list. Come down see a game at the Big Oaks on Friday and then go up to Haywood County Saturday and make a weekend of it. I will bring my son too and let him see how you all do win!!

I Really appreciate that and would love to brother! And I am gonna do it sometime! That’s on my bucket list. Come down see a game at the Big Oaks on Friday and then go up to Haywood County Saturday and make a weekend of it. I will bring my son too and let him see how you all do win!!
Sounds like a good idea.

Reactions: RealStihl
It is funny we hear about McAdams and how good he is well he and Mason has the same amount of yards so far this year but McAdams has 75 carries and Mason like 25. Wow imagine if Mason had 75 Carrie’s. Hopefully these two will get to go heads up. Might want to ask the star running back from Draughn last year when they went head to head.

It is funny we hear about McAdams and how good he is well he and Mason has the same amount of yards so far this year but McAdams has 75 carries and Mason like 25. Wow imagine if Mason had 75 Carrie’s. Hopefully these two will get to go heads up. Might want to ask the star running back from Draughn last year when they went head to head.
You have people from every fan base praising adams. It isn’t just us. Have you met the guy? Have you talked to him? Have you managed to even see him play in person? Adams gets a lot of attention because of the kind of kid he is. Not just because he’s a good running back. I can’t speak on the Mason kid. I haven’t seen him play.

Reactions: Jmappfan5
ASU, Virginia Tech, Campbell, Lenoir Rhyne, and about 10 other D1 programs have seen him play and thought enough of Mason to offer him (and Defensive End Derc Dandy) full ride offers to come to there schools.

Hope the same happens for McAdams. And while I am sure being a great young man is part of the equation, being a great running back is the overriding factor.

And I do truly hope you get to see him in person, along with Caleb Ried, Twashone Martin and DJ Joyce (the other excellent running backs in the Mt Airy Stable).

ASU, Virginia Tech, Campbell, Lenoir Rhyne, and about 10 other D1 programs have seen him play and thought enough of Mason to offer him (and Defensive End Derc Dandy) full ride offers to come to there schools.

Hope the same happens for McAdams. And while I am sure being a great young man is part of the equation, being a great running back is the overriding factor.

And I do truly hope you get to see him in person, along with Caleb Ried, Twashone Martin and DJ Joyce (the other excellent running backs in the Mt Airy Stable).
No sir. Being a great kid and growing into a great adult is far above being a great running back.

No sir. Being a great kid and growing into a great adult is far above being a great running back.
Your statement was about him as a football player, not just a great person. In that context, are you just a complete idiot?
Can you not follow simply logic in a football related conversation? Or are you just so blind to your Smokey Mountain being that you want to start awarding points in a football game for which team has the "best people"?

How about drinking a glass of milk or a good cup of coffee before you type another stupid comment.

Robbinsville and MA runs 2 different styles of Offences. If Robbinsville scored 35 points in a game it would be like MA scoring 49. Robbinsville offense is built to run a team in submission bet them down and grind out 3 to 4 yards a carry. We are not a home run hitting team. To put up the numbers he had already is impressive enough. I agree with Wicked everyone not pulling for Adams because how great he is running the ball but how great of a kid he is. Adams is such a humble kid one of nicest kids you real ever meet that how Alot of kids on that team is. Williams another kid that is humble. all of them are really great kids. I bet MA kids are the same way i bet there good kids too.

Your statement was about him as a football player, not just a great person. In that context, are you just a complete idiot?
Can you not follow simply logic in a football related conversation? Or are you just so blind to your Smokey Mountain being that you want to start awarding points in a football game for which team has the "best people"?

How about drinking a glass of milk or a good cup of coffee before you type another stupid comment.
Okay Buzz Jr. Don’t get your feelings hurt when I post about being a good kid. Football is a game. Being a good person is a good quality to have throughout life. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you. All I’m saying is being a good football player is 2nd on Cuttler Adams list.

Okay Buzz Jr. Don’t get your feelings hurt when I post about being a good kid. Football is a game. Being a good person is a good quality to have throughout life. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you. All I’m saying is being a good football player is 2nd on Cuttler Adams list.
You implied he was talking bad about Adams and that was not what he was doing at all. RE was just correcting you!

You implied he was talking bad about Adams and that was not what he was doing at all. RE was just correcting you!
I was not implying that at all. If it came off that way, it was not my intention. The goal is to create good men, fathers, and husbands. Then good football players. That’s all I was saying.

Most Receptions (Career)

Most Receptions (Season)

-Willie Brown (Murphy)

Other Notable Players

Raymius Smith went to ECU first, had a child and transferred to WCU to be closer to home
Greg Tisho-Tennessee- (Swain County)

Reactions: WickedStix9
I was not implying that at all. If it came off that way, it was not my intention. The goal is to create good men, fathers, and husbands. Then good football players. That’s all I was saying.
Like I have always said text and messages always get taken out on context and we all need to realize that!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT