ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Tournament

Amanda Thompson from Hayesville, Probably has had the best college career of any girls basketball player from our conference in the last 10ish years. Started every single game of her career at Mercer a D1 and has led the team in rebounds every year. Next year Hayesville will have 3 players playing at the D1 level in basketball, her and both Cottrell brothers. They would have had four if Stephanie Patton didnt decide to graduate early, she would probably would have stayed if it wasnt for tearing her ACL.

Can’t deny that Thompson is doing well. And that is great and it’s your opinion. The Toineeta girl is playing well in college and she does three sports, the other two being track and cross country. And in my opinion she is having the best college career out the group. She might be at a D-2 but that ability is rare. I know we’ve had Trammel play at UNCA but after a coaching change, ACL tear it all but derailed her playing time. More recently we had Amber Long play at Wake Forest for a few years.

Shelby Wolfe on Cherokees squad will make the 21st girls college basketball player from Cherokee in the last ten years. The Teesateski girl, Diontay Toineeta and Bark girl could all play at the next level and probably will. So make it 25. None of our conference girls have went pro, so id say playing at the next level is great regardless of school.

Forgot Mcmillian at WCU also. Day will still play somewhere.

PS-Trammel was a very good player!

Shelby Wolfe on Cherokees squad will make the 21st girls college basketball player from Cherokee in the last ten years. The Teesateski girl, Diontay Toineeta and Bark girl could all play at the next level and probably will. So make it 25. None of our conference girls have went pro, so id say playing at the next level is great regardless of school.
Thank you, I was just getting ready to say that.

Well Andrews hasn’t had anyone go to the next level in any sport for many years that I recall. Please correct me if I overlooked anyone and that is really possible at my age. But in 1978, I believe, Cissy Bristol of the Andrews Undefeated State Champs went on to play at Clemson University. In 1981 Dr Gary Roper, my high school teammate, went on to play at UNC Tarheels and played I believe 2 years on the JV then was on the Varsity team of Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, James Worthy etc. Been about 40 years but that’s Andrews Claim of fame for basketball. Big time D-1. My other teammate Jeff Blaylock played football for UNC at outside linebacker and played with Hall of Famer Lawerence Taylor. Blaylock started his senior year and almost made the Cleveland Browns. 1978 Jeff Mashburn pitched at WCU and was All Conference Coach Steve Maennle was All Conference tight end for Mars Hill and his brother Coach Frank Maennle played baseball & basketball at Montreat. Tiffany Thompson played basketball at Brevard also. It’s been a long time for Andrews and all of these finished

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDen1
I think i would argue for Thompson one because of the level is much higher. Also her consistency being one of the smallest post players in the conference but finishing top ten both her freshmen and sophomore years as the teams leading rebounder and top ten in the conference (on pace to both again this year). Also she is a three time team captain and has started every single game in here career, while playing on a team that has won two straight conference championships and is going to do it again this year. I could go on but its a matter of opinion kinda.

I think i would argue for Thompson one because of the level is much higher. Also her consistency being one of the smallest post players in the conference but finishing top ten both her freshmen and sophomore years as the teams leading rebounder and top ten in the conference (on pace to both again this year). Also she is a three time team captain and has started every single game in here career, while playing on a team that has won two straight conference championships and is going to do it again this year. I could go on but its a matter of opinion kinda.
Very tough competitor and showed so much class. She was also good in other sports

Reactions: 13bc9fc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT