ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Tournament

Congratulations you proved me wrong, see that wildcat when presented with facts I will admit I was wrong. Simply put though many in the SMC think they are good enough and even the few that are, are not willing to work hard enough. They blame the coaches, it is not their fault without the willingness to go and play travels sports, just playing for the high school team is not near enough to get them college looks. Hayesville is one of the few to actually produce several high level d2 and mid major d1 athletes and not they havent had there share of kids that dont finish. I am sure in the last 10 years they have the most kids who do finish at the college level. Common denominator of all of them is that they probably could have not even played for the high school team and still got where they wanted. High school coaches have very little to do with getting kids college looks at the 1a level with the exception being football. Even then its still important to go to camps and play on a 7-7 team.
But it’s different for every athlete. Personally I think travel ball is great but it’s not 100% that that’s getting you a scholarship. Our Athletes at Andrews play every sport. They don’t specialize in just one and after talking to different recruiters it was one of the most asked questions, do they play other sports. They tell you how important it is to see that. And I’m not being cold but how many kids have you seen that play travel ball of any sport but have not gained a thing but spend the family money doing it. My kids never played any type of travel ball, first I couldn’t afford it and second I feel if you work your butt off and stay in the gym you have just as good a chance as anyone. I know you won’t be seen but thankfully she had a good enough career to be seen. Even the coach from UNC stated it’s so hard to get around to seeing all the athletes they are interested in. But I would like to see every athlete that has the desire and talent to go on to have more help because a lot of schools don’t and a lot of parents don’t know where to start

Reactions: MRC3
I really don't think Hayesville is the cream of the crop for college athletes. Every school has a few that have stayed committed and a few that fell below expectations. I mean Hayesville has had great athletes. But some of those athletes didn't make it in college. Kids sign and that is huge but the commitment to do sports and stay eligible to play is completely different in college. The biggest problem is that we often set our own kids up to fail. We often let athletes slide by in academics to get those four years of playing time. Well when they get to college (some cannot academically) they do not know how to balance the two lives. I mean doing one sport in college is hard and could not imagine doing more than one. We should be embracing the athletes that come out of the conference but for the most part we want some kids to fail because of rivalries and animosity.
After talking to our former college athletes from Andrews and yes we have had several too and they finished out the hardest things for athletes coming into college they don’t understand how demanding of their time it was. Everyone said the same thing. It’s like a full time job. And there was my daughter trying to do two. I guess I should have went to those people before not after. Actually she has people looking to get her into basketball somewhere else but I want her to stick to Track. Of course it’s her decision

Reactions: MRC3
like I said right or wrong if you want to get to the high college level you have to do travel sports. Smaller schools like mars hill may wander down to look at smoky mountain conference athletes but they do not have the ability to give full rides for a single sports. If you want to go to a good D2 school or any D1 school that can give full rides their is no choice but play in travel leagues of some sort. I personally wish it wasnt like that because not all can afford it. I know of a family that put around 15,000 into their child while in high school for travel sports. Yet it ultimately paid off because there child got 100% of college paid for. Lastly Hayesville has done a better job of that than any other school. I bet both their baseball and basketball coaches would agree there is not a ton they can do for their players if they do not play travel sports.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Mars Hill can give full rides for hoops if they want, their scholarships just aren't measured by headcount. It's a pot of X number of scholarships' worth of money to split, unlike D1s which are measured by full ride headcounts. If a D2 wants to spend it all on full rides for a handful of kids, they can, and if they want to spread it to pay partials for a bunch of kids, they can do that, too. If you look up the story of Derrick White from the Spurs who played 3 years at D2 UC-Colorado Springs, he got his room and board paid as a freshman, then a full ride the next 2 years when he became a star. Of course a private school like Mars Hill has a disadvantage in that system, compared to a public school like North Georgia or UNCP, because a half-scholarship leaves a much bigger balance at a private school.

I will agree that most recruiting happens away from high school gyms, now, so some exposure events are necessary, but all the 8 year old travel ball year round I see seems like a huge waste of money and easy way to burn a kid out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thatoneguy...
like I said right or wrong if you want to get to the high college level you have to do travel sports. Smaller schools like mars hill may wander down to look at smoky mountain conference athletes but they do not have the ability to give full rides for a single sports. If you want to go to a good D2 school or any D1 school that can give full rides their is no choice but play in travel leagues of some sort. I personally wish it wasnt like that because not all can afford it. I know of a family that put around 15,000 into their child while in high school for travel sports. Yet it ultimately paid off because there child got 100% of college paid for. Lastly Hayesville has done a better job of that than any other school. I bet both their baseball and basketball coaches would agree there is not a ton they can do for their players if they do not play travel sports.
I’m sure they’re pros & cons but we can agree to disagree. With all these sports complexes going up all over our country I feel it is misleading a lot of parents and it’s a money pit. The Braves network had a good show with some of their greatest pitchers giving their opinion on this topic. And getting to Mars Hill they have a lot of issues in the basketball program. The lady’s team started with 19 players and are down to 5 with probably 4 to injuries. Last year when we went to watch late in the season they were down to 8 players and I should have questioned that but I guess I was so excited about her playing I didn’t catch it. I look for changes to be made as soon as the season ends.

Reactions: TigerDen1
Girls Championship Friday 6:30
Murphy vs Cherokee

Boys Championship Friday 8:00
Cherokee vs Rosman

Rville gave it their all in the girls game. Cherokee pulled out the W but our girls should hold their heads up.
They played great and it just look like they run out of steam. Young team that will be hard to deal with. Just my opinion but just seemed they were not deep on the bench. It was my first game seeing Cherokee and they are for real and are very deep Was a great game to watch

Let' go braves!!! Guess we can all hate 1 another till playoffs in football this year, then we can encourage 1 another to bring it back to SMC!! I know robinsville has more then anybody in world history and we just have 1, so chill!!! Wasn't able to make it tha past 2 days but bet your bottom dollar I'll be there early Friday!!

I’m pretty sure with Cherokee having two teams and Murphy’s girls it won’t matter how many rosman fans that come. Standing room only easy

Wildcat your wrong on many things, college coaches couldn’t give a crap about the kind of stats a player is putting up at a 1a level. You may have children that have played at a higher level but guess what they don’t stick to it. Hayesville is about the only school that can claim a high level player that goes to the d-1 or d-2 level and actually plays for a whole career. Most give up pretty quickly, I know Andrews touted that Holloway girl as the next best thing and I cannot even find her on mars hills roster anymore.
That's absolutely not true even little ole Rosman has had kids go onto higer level schools and play sports. Brett Chappell played at WNC in football and was 1 cut away from making NFL team. Ashton Barton in basketball played at UNC Asheville, Emily Parrish played at Wingate. Plus the Galloway boys , Jay Sheridan at Carson Newman won a championship ring. All these kids finished college playing a sports and we're successful at it. Sure there are kids that quit or decide not to finish that's there decision don't down them just because we said we have no respect for an adult.He's a big boy he can handle it.

I’m pretty sure with Cherokee having two teams and Murphy’s girls it won’t matter how many rosman fans that come. Standing room only easy
Just save us a little room on our side and please be respectful Everyone. Hopefully all birds will remain in pockets.

Just save us a little room on our side and please be respectful Everyone. Hopefully all birds will remain in pockets.
From what I could tell most everyone sat on the right side last night. Murphy had a thing at the door showing which side to set on for each team. It was really full so might have been a few that had no choice. I would love to go watch but everyone should let the teams playing have those seats but you know that won’t happen

HaHaHa ironic timing for this board. Enjoy Wildcat and Tigerden.

http://wlos.com/sports/beyond-the-s...-cottrells-are-first-family-of-wnc-basketball
They are for sure the best of WNC. I remember when the father and brother played st Cullowhee and they were awesome athletes. I’ve been able to watch Zac & Josh play from the early years of youth through HS and not only were they great athletes they were great young men. They had great sportsmanship all the way through. The family has accomplished a lot and are deserving of everything. They had to have worked their tale off to accomplish that much success. I have never mentioned anything negative about their abilities or accomplishments at all. This achievement will never be broken by anyone. Congratulations and I’m sure they’re not finished yet

Tigerden i was referencing the last ten years or really more recent times not over the course of a schools history. I guess what I was trying to say was lets not blame high school coaches for exposure. Simply put unless the high school coach also coaches travel teams they have little to do with exposure for kids.

I think for those that want to see Cherokee to go down in boys were glad to see Rosman make it to the championship. I expect Cherokee to win but i think (this coming from a Hayesville fan) Rosman is the only one that could take down cherokee in my opinion. Cherokee plays little to no defense so with the Rosman brothers I think that in a shootout Rosman on the right night may be able to outgun Cherokee. Is Day for Cherokee going to play?

I seriously doubt that will happen especially if tha games get close and emotions become involved and that' on both sides and all teams there!!

From what I could tell most everyone sat on the right side last night. Murphy had a thing at the door showing which side to set on for each team. It was really full so might have been a few that had no choice. I would love to go watch but everyone should let the teams playing have those seats but you know that won’t happen
For me it's about respect. I just hope my Tiger's can put up a fight. I never know which Tiger team is going to show up. Hopefully the team that's been on fire in the tournament. We will see.

Braves fans how many games did you guys have to forfeit? Will this hurt your seeding in playoffs?

Despite their defense, or lack thereof, Cherokee has dropped rosman by 20 and 30 in the first 2 meetings and Day didn't play in the 2nd game at Rosman. Just gotta keep the Thomas brothers under control. Other than that they have a couple other streaky shooters that were jacking 3s the whole first half against Andrews as soon as it hit their hands. It's a big stage though so you never know.

Idk about Hayesville or any other school putting the most athletes in college, but I think Cherokees girls basketball program has put close to 20 girls in college basketball in the last 9 or 10 Years. A couple even decided to hang it up that could have played next level and had offers. Someone save me a seat in Murphy and tell whoever runs that school to stop paying Gentry his $1million dollar bonus and buy them an air conditioner. Trophy for worst gym in the conference : Murphy. Hands down. It’s like there is no circulation in their gym. Everyone breathing hot ass carbon monoxide. I may ask for my money back if it happens again.

Them braves gonna win by 20!. No matter what .

The lady braves they got a tall order in home court and them tall girls lol . Cherokee by 3

Idk about Hayesville or any other school putting the most athletes in college, but I think Cherokees girls basketball program has put close to 20 girls in college basketball in the last 9 or 10 Years. A couple even decided to hang it up that could have played next level and had offers. Someone save me a seat in Murphy and tell whoever runs that school to stop paying Gentry his $1million dollar bonus and buy them an air conditioner. Trophy for worst gym in the conference : Murphy. Hands down. It’s like there is no circulation in their gym. Everyone breathing hot ass carbon monoxide. I may ask for my money back if it happens again.
Kendall Toineeta is still deadly dropping the 3’s at Lenoir Rhyne.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT