ADVERTISEMENT

SMC score.

I forgot about the kicking game (probably because I want to forget). I'm not going to talk down about a high school kid trying their best but the kicking game needs a lot of improvement, whether it's the same kicker or someone else next season. The length on the kickoffs is giving opponents prime field position every game, it is a huge detriment.

Teams don't usually win titles or compete with elite competition without some semblance of a kicking game. If nothing else at least find someone who can get the ball inside the opponent's 15 yard line on a kickoff or have the current kicker really work on his leg strength over the next 12 months. It is imperative.

If there is one criticism I have of the Murphy program it's the lack of attention to identifying and developing a kicker. When Murphy has a good kicker, it's because one has fallen into their laps. I've yet to see the program really develop one over the period of a varsity career. They need to target one of the soccer players as a freshman and groom him from then on. By the time that player is an upperclassmen they should be developed to the point that they're at least competent. When that player is going into their senior season, you find another freshman and start the process over again. If that were to happen there would be a competent kicking game at Murphy every season. Obviously not all of these kids are going to be great but I'm sure most of them would develop into at least a solid kicker with this approach if the appropriate time was put into developing them.
What are we doing mbdfan?! Youve got the scheduling mastered, who we should and should not be playing, how to adapt a successful kicking game you know since kickers just "fall into our laps" shame on those coaches for neglecting that position its like they have no idea what they are doing. How has the most successful coaching staff in Western North Carolina not thought of these things?! Lets get him a coaches shirt and head phones immediately! He'll lead us to that dream season......please...let the professionals do their job.

What are we doing mbdfan?! Youve got the scheduling mastered, who we should and should not be playing, how to adapt a successful kicking game you know since kickers just "fall into our laps" shame on those coaches for neglecting that position its like they have no idea what they are doing. How has the most successful coaching staff in Western North Carolina not thought of these things?! Lets get him a coaches shirt and head phones immediately! He'll lead us to that dream season......please...let the professionals do their job.
Thanks for the sarcastic and snarky reply, let's go ahead and ignore any praise that I've directed towards the coaching staff and only point out the things that I've said that you didn't like. Not really sure what the opinion of fans on a message board matters to someone who clearly considers their opinion irrelevant anyway.

I'm appreciative of the coaches and all that they do, I do consider Murphy to have one of the best staffs in the state, I've never said otherwise. But I also don't live in communist country were it's illegal to express my opinion. No one or nothing is above critique.

Coaches are going to coach, fans are going to express opinions and speculate. That's the nature of a message board, sorry if that bothers you, it's not going to change.

Carry on

Last edited:
Thanks for the sarcastic and snarky reply, let's go ahead and ignore any praise that I've directed towards the coaching staff and only point out the things that I've said that you didn't like. Not really sure what the opinion of fans on a message board matters to someone who clearly considers their opinion irrelevant anyway.

I'm appreciative of the coaches and all that they do, I do consider Murphy to have one of the best staffs in the state, I've never said otherwise. But I also don't live in communist country were it's illegal to express my opinion. No one or nothing is above critique.

Coaches are going to coach, fans are going to express opinions and speculate. That's the nature of a message board, sorry if that bothers you, it's not going to change.

Carry on
Probably one of the hardest things to find is a good kicker. It's not like kids are lined up in Rec ball dreaming about being the star kicker. It usually is a soccer transplant and in the larger schools there is more of a pool to pull from. Just having someone consistent with extra points would be a plus. On a side note this is a forum for discussion and opinions. If we don't have differing opinions and insights it will be awful dull. As a Murphy fan it's sometimes aggravating but I always look to see what BK has to say. It keeps it interesting.

Last edited:
As an alum and huge fan of mhs, I think its perfectly fine for mbd, nole, or whoever else, including myself, to express their opinions about mhs sports. None of us are perfect, but it is perfectly fine for one to express how one feels about their favorite team in a respectable manner. I dont see any mhs poster being disrespectful towards the coaching staff. Coaches will coach and us fans will keep critiquing. For those who dont agree with that, then I recommend not visiting this site again.

Reactions: mbdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT