ADVERTISEMENT

SMC. FYI

knight2day

Oct 3, 2010
2010-2016 wins Murphy 86. Swain 74. Robbinsville 74 Rosman 34. Andrews 32. Hayesville 26. Cherokee 25. Thoughts, corrections always welcome.

Thanks Bk. Been looking on for a few years, just thought those numbers were interesting. I wonder if they will still be that top heavy at the end of the 2019 season?

If we have a good line in2019 we could be very good.

Last edited:
We picked up Enka, North Georgia, and Hickory Christian Academy. Still got Rabun Gap and Christ School.

Yea it was interesting to me as well. Looks like your either really good or struggling. You have 3 teams averaging over 10 wins a year and the rest 5 or less. Not sure what all that means but its a tough conference

Plymouth is 2-3 during this era having out scored their opponents 114-106! Lol. We seem to meet every season so maybe we can be honorary SMC members!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Plymouth would be one of the top teams on a regular basis. I'm sure you guys wouldn't mind getting out of the conference you play in ( not being ugly but it's terrible) interested how Plymouth would react to the weekly beating and knowing you could easily loose 3 or 4 conference games. Keep in mind , my opinion and $ 1.50 will get you a cup of coffee!

The numbers argument seems to work w swain and murphy but Robbinsville kind of upsets it a little. Thanks for the info MRC3

knight2day - Just makes Robbinsville's success that much more impressive, in my opinion.....

Robbinsville has been fortunate that a few football players have dressed in the black and white and I'm talking players not uniform toters. We've been very well coached ( at times) I couldn't be happier and greatful for our present staff. Looking back at the wins since 2010 I'm not sure if the top 3 have made coaching changes in that period. That goes along way.

Swain made coaching change a few years ago. I thinking about 2012.

Bk I got to give credit where due ! You seem to be a "knowing man " you've got the answers and still have time to throw a back hand at Murphy on almost every thread. It's all in fun and very entertaining if we remember were talking about kids and guys that make about $ 1.50 per hr as coaches. Just my opinion

The numbers argument seems to work w swain and murphy but Robbinsville kind of upsets it a little. Thanks for the info MRC3

Numbers do matter. Lets look at our reigning Conference Champions for a second. They have a coach that has shattered wins records for this area and is recognized state wide and nationally. Dont get me wrong, I believe Coach Gentry is a great coach, no doubt about it. But no one could argue that he has been very fortunate to be at the place that he is at. Murphy High School is arguably the biggest school in the Conference.

Lets think for a second if Coach Gentry had been at Andrews all these years as opposed to Murphy. I am only using Andrews as an example because they are in the same county and they are the smallest school in the Conference and one of the smallest schools in the state, that fields a football team. I think that we all would agree that his wins total would not be what it is today. Numbers matter.

If your always the biggest kid in a fight, most likely your going to win most of them. If your the smallest kid in the fight, your probably going to struggle. So yes Murphy and Swain both benefit from being the bigger schools in the Conference. And yes Murphy benefits greatly from playing in 1A as opposed to the 1AA. So numbers matter quite a bit!

I will take what we've done anyday.

Phillips and Jordan has helped out Robbinsville over the years. So its not exactly like yall have completely dominated with "Home Grown" boys. I mean there in those title runs, Phillips and Jordan was acting like a modern day Charter School.

I'll going to respectfully disagree with you SMC ! P& J employess were always asked to leave town for months and years at a time, never did they bring in any "ringers " think about it . We're talking about the 70's and 80's how would a construction company recruit without the luxury of turning on a computer to scout ( huddle, YouTube,preps, etc) and Im sure they didn't send talent scouts all over the USA to get kids to move to Rville to play 1a ball with no exposure to collages. These are all true statements , the Easter Bunny and Santa swore it in the Graham Co court house. Haha

I'll going to respectfully disagree with you SMC ! P& J employess were always asked to leave town for months and years at a time, never did they bring in any "ringers " think about it . We're talking about the 70's and 80's how would a construction company recruit without the luxury of turning on a computer to scout ( huddle, YouTube,preps, etc) and Im sure they didn't send talent scouts all over the USA to get kids to move to Rville to play 1a ball with no exposure to collages. These are all true statements , the Easter Bunny and Santa swore it in the Graham Co court house. Haha

I understand that. But you have to admit that Phillips and Jordan has been of some "help" over the years. Right? I mean they are listed on your new scoreboard correct?

SMC Redneck you should ask Gentry about coming to Murphy (worst program in the conference at the time). Interesting story.

SMC Redneck you should ask Gentry about coming to Murphy (worst program in the conference at the time). Interesting story.

Granted. Yes it was not in good shape when he got there. I am not disputing any of that. I also stated that I believe David Gentry to be a great coach.
But having said that, I don't believe there is any way that you or any other Murphy Fan, could say that Murphy, and David Gentry, has not benefited from being moved to 1A from the 2A. And then later being moved from the 1AA playoffs to the 1A playoffs. Surely we can agree on that?

Also, I stated, in my comparison to Andrews, that numbers make a difference. When you have a student population of around 500 each year, (More in the Middle Schools before they head to Early College), surely its easier to find talent than in a school of 250 or so like Andrews has.

Have David Gentry done a good job? Yes, great job. Would he have had the same success at a different school with a smaller student population? No, in my opinion. Look at this years team, let me choose 3 players (#76, #32, #1), would you agree that the 2016 team would have been MUCH different without these three excellent players??? Most definitely. So missing just a few players would make a huge difference. These smaller schools may not have a #76. Or they may only have one rb as opposed to Murphy's 4-6 that are all really good. Student populations make a difference. If Murphy High had a student population of 350 as opposed to 500, would they be as successful, year in and year out????

I will agree 100 % that the Phillips and Jordan families have helped Rville High . They have donated money, built a field house and countless other donations but bringing players in is crazy. The home grown kids did the work and won the games. Their name is also on Westerns field house and that hadn't won a game for the cats yet.

90% of the people who worked for Pandora didn't live in Robbinsville. That makes no sense at all. Panda worked off. No need to move to r Ville. Look at the last names of the kids that played for us in the 70s and 80s. All local names.

You should look at Murphy's record over the years against 2a, 3a, and 4a schools. Murphy does benefit from having more numbers than most anyone (Swain does too) in the SMC or in small 1a, but all this talk and assumption that that is the ONLY reason Murphy can win it all is silly, especially when you consider their success against bigger schools over the years. Albemarle and Thomasville being juggarnauts that they were in the 1aa throughout most of the early/mid 2000s had more to do with Murphy not being able to win it all in 1aa than anything. Those schools, and a few others, are not in 1aa anymore and weren't there in the years Swain played for 1aa titles either.

You have just proven my point. It's a much easier road to the State without Swain, Thomasville, etc. standing in your way. Most years the smaller schools like Rosman, Robbinsville, Hayesville, Andrews, etc are a easier way to State without having to go through the bigger teams. Murphy since being in the 1A has played many schools in the playoffs that they have already beat in Conference play, and practically all their opponents, Murphy has been bigger than.

Never stated that was the only reason that Murphy wins, just said it helps

Murphy has benefited from being big fish in small 1A pond. No doubt. But that's not the whole story. Top to bottom, they have the best coaching staff I've seen in 1A high school football, and this last year, they did their best work yet. The players are all in and they're leaving a legacy for the next group to pick right up.

Reactions: NC nole fan
Murphy has benefited from being big fish in small 1A pond. No doubt. But that's not the whole story. Top to bottom, they have the best coaching staff I've seen in 1A high school football, and this last year, they did their best work yet. The players are all in and they're leaving a legacy for the next group to pick right up.

They have the best staff based upon what? The success that they have had?
Would that same exact coaching staff, have the same success at Andrews?

Were getting a little bit off topic here. I simply stated that numbers do matter. The original post we're talking about had the size of the school listed with their wins. All I simply stated was that Murphy and David Gentry has benefited from being at a bigger school than most of the people that they play on the schedule. Again no disrespect to Andrews, just used them as an example because they are in the same county.

I believe Murphy to be one of the best teams in the state, period. I believe David Gentry to be the standard when it comes to running the Wing T. But to look strictly at wins is a bit skewed because of the numbers advantage Murphy has over SOME of their opponents. Asheville, Gilmer, Franklin, etc have all been beaten by Murphy over the years, but Murphy also beats people every year half their size.

Phillips and Jordan has helped out Robbinsville over the years. So its not exactly like yall have completely dominated with "Home Grown" boys. I mean there in those title runs, Phillips and Jordan was acting like a modern day Charter School.

LOL Charter School ... This is a joke, right? I love that somebody brings this up every year.

A little Land Clearing Company Operation 101 - land clearing companies have jobs across the US ... the workers don't relocate to the company headquarters ... they go to the construction site locations. So sorry, no football recruits for Rville.

P & J donates funds to the school because Ted Jordan & Ted Phillips and their kids were all born,raised, and played sports in Robbinsville.

This argument makes no sense. You could pick any good coach/staff in the history of football and do what you are attempting to do. Would Nick Saban and his staff have the same success at Vanderbilt, Duke, Idaho, etc..??

Of course not, but that doesn't make what Saban and staff have done at Bama any less impressive and it surely doesn't make him any less of a head coach.

I never said what Gentry and staff has done is not impressive. Man has over 300 closing on 400 wins, he's doing something right. I just simply stated that the numbers at Murphy has aided them. As far as the best staff is concerned, and your Saban comment, yes that's hypothetical. But saying their the best staff in the state is also hypothetical. You don't know what they could do at another school of lesser talent/numbers.

I mean I remember this same great staff, who's apparently the best, get schooled four times in a row by Robbinsville. I am in no way a Robbinsville fan, just simply stating facts. Did that mean that Dee Walsh and co were better coaches? Or did it have something to do with the particular bubbas and joes that were playing on the field? My particular vote is the latter. This year was different. I guess Gentry and co decided to do some different stuff this year huh?

Or maybe, Murphys kids got focused, worked their tails off, and was on a mission. Perhaps it had nothing to do with whose the best staff in the state.

Based on my experience.

The other question is hypothetical.

Cant speak on your experience. Don't know about that. But your statement that their the best staff is based upon their success. I just simply stated that I don't believe that they would have the same success at another school. Perhaps they wouldn't be as good as they think they are

I started this thread with a few facts about wins since 2010 , how in the world did we get here? One thing I've noticed in my short membership is 90% of all 1A post end up in the same place. The size of the school matters ! I get it ! That's why we have different classifications. Murphy is in a unique spot not knowing where you'll be at the end of the year A or AA that not their fault. A bunch of highs and lows not knowing if you're the best team or the 4 th or 5 th best team. I knew Rville was the best team in 2015 but could we have beat WRH ? No ! Murphy was clearly the best 1A school last year , could they have beat WRH , Tarboro! No! West Montgomery ? Maybe! School size matters! Let's move on.

So using your logic, there is no such thing as a "best" coaching staff because we don't know what every coaching staff out there would or wouldn't do at a different school, and since no coaching staff has ever gone it's entire existence without losing a single game then there is no way to know if they are truly the best. Okay got it. Did I miss anything??

As far as those four games against Robbinsville, the 2014 team had a season ending injury to it's best player and several other key players were hurt much of the season. That team was never 100% and that's unfortunate, because when healthy they were absolutely the best team in the SMC. Rville posters will disagree and would never admit it and that's fine, but it is what it is. In 2015, Rville was just the better, more experienced team. This past year, Murphy was the better, more experienced team and they have a 15-1 record and a conference and a state title to show for it. Bottom line I guess is that the mark of a good coaching staff, IMO, is consistency and being able to make the most of a season with the players you have. Few (if any) do that better than Murphy's staff in 1a football.

Simply saying that a certain staff's success may or may not be as successful at another school. I am not cutting the Murphy staff or their kids. I am so looking forward to football season and watching all the SMC Teams compete.

Wish nothing but the best for all the SMC Teams. Looking to see how teams change. Obviously Murphy is considered the favorite, but they lost some key people, looking to see how they replace them.
Swain I think should be pretty good, should have several people returning. Robbinsville lost some lineman and their big Fullback. Rosman should be interesting with their new coach. Cherokee is expecting big things I believe. Wonder if Hayesville will do any better this year after winning a playoff game last year. Andrews, with their second year coach, could be poised for something good.

Robbinsville lost 6 seniors. Only 4 started I think. Two lineman, 1 fullback, and one WR.
This year's team will have a lot of seniors for a Robbinsville team. If I'm not mistaken we will have 17 seniors. That alone will help.

Last edited:
Plymouth would be one of the top teams on a regular basis. I'm sure you guys wouldn't mind getting out of the conference you play in ( not being ugly but it's terrible) interested how Plymouth would react to the weekly beating and knowing you could easily loose 3 or 4 conference games. Keep in mind , my opinion and $ 1.50 will get you a cup of coffee!

We'll find out. Plymouth opens with Tarboro on the road and with realignment, Edenton joins our conference and the Columbia's, Creswell's, and Mattamskeet's are gone. If numbers remained close to the same as last season, 90% of the teams we'll play will have a larger enrollment including the playoffs. We have to play A:Who will play us, and, B:Who is placed in front of us come playoff time. No doubt the Western side of the state has better football overall, but Plymouth has proven they can play with you guys from the SMC! It would be interesting it were possible to play a conference schedule with you guys, could make our guys better. Come to Plymouth sometime and let me know. I can get you a good quality cup of coffee for less than $1.50 Just stop by Robbinsville on your way and bring some of Jim Tom's finest with you!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT