ADVERTISEMENT

Slash's Week 5 Area Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010

East Surry
at West Stokes

West Stokes finally found some momentum last week as they changed the QB's from Conrad to Parsons and it paid off as West scored 53 and turned a close game ugly in just the blink of an eye. This week will be a true test for Parsons at QB as they host a jamming East Surry team hot for revenge after last year's game. West upset East last year with a solid passing game and took what N Surry did to East in Week 3 and times'ed it by 2. This year both squads are different: West lost all those seniors and are rebuilding while East is the senior based team and I expect it to show in the game. West has some fast cats but I don't think their offense can hang consistent with East, barring some sort of freak luck. Parsons getting moved may slow the offense down potentially more as he was their main ball catcher and now without him at QB it could be a lot more rougher. East was hit in the mouth by Central last week and all it did was piss them off and they dropped 40 straight on Central so they can't fully say they won't be focused here, I think that will be a motivator for them
focusing in more this week.. and next week too.

A more focused and motivated East team is worst for everyone else. East will roll here barring a bad injury to one of East's guys or West's offense suddenly becoming powerful again.

Elkin at South Stokes

Dave's pulling his tricks again as South's 3-1 for the first time in ages.. this week will get harder for the Sauras as they host Elkin who's coming off a loss which put them back to square one. This should be the closest game in the area if both teams come in ready and willing.. Elkin's got size but they have quite a bit of flaws that can be exploited as the NS and MA games showed they are far from perfect, and if they face a team well coached and with size then they will be able to match it. We may have that case here..

I expect a good one. I think Elkin being a little healthier will give them an edge but I expect it to be close unless South just gets beat up too much or gets too tired then Elkin will take off. Even if they lose South will get a bye week then will play South Davidson so they won't lose these next few weeks.

Patrick County at North Stokes

The Danbury Vikings were knocked into reality last week but managed to play West for a half before fatigue and their speed came into play, but N Stokes showed they will play with anyone which itself is a win. This week they have a solid chance to rebound vs one of their rivals Patrick, who's been a solid thorn in their sides. In 2015 they were a lone disappointment in N Stokes's solid season as they let the game slip from them, and in 2017 Patrick broke everyone in Danbury's and many across the area's hearts as they won in a thriller in Sessoms's first year back, it was their closest win in the losing streak until the South Davidson game. I expect this one to be close
but I think North's due a win here.. next 2 games will be rougher as they play a rebounding Hobbton team and MA but a win here and a win over Bishop will get them to 5.. HUGE win for Frank and his kids if he pulls this out.

West Wilkes at Grayson County

Millers Creek was affire 2 weeks back as the Blackhawks dominated Bishop to a nice win to get onto the winning side of things. After a nice break they return to action in Virginia vs Grayson who have lost 3 close games in a row to Alleghany, Carroll, and another VA school, Grayson badly needs a break. Their depth's very low and they have some hurt kids, if it comes down to attrition then West will very much have the edge. This is a very random matchup that is hard for me to pick due to limited info.. so I'l be a homer and pick West.

Atkins at Bishop

Needless to say Charlie's return to Kernersville isn't going so hot. The bold experiment of having 2 teams which hasn't been done in a while at Bishop isn't succeeding a lick: JV has less than 20 kids and have been giving up a ton of points, and Varsity's been doing the same especially vs the run despite scoring a few more points. This week is realistically their best shot at winning a game as
North Stokes is doing a lot better and aren't easy pickins anymore along with South and Prep. If Bishop doesn't win they will go 0-11 most likely for their first time.

Atkins however is much improved from last year. Their skill players are more experienced and their
line is a little more physical and they have a win.. however besides that they have been shutout twice. Typical Atkins luck, a win and a fine offensive performance is what the Camels badly need before they play Forbush.. however they gotta come ready to hit.

RJ Reynolds at North Forsyth

NF's rough streak is continuing into this week after being shut out for the 2nd game in a row as Glenn only beat them 27-0 last week, very disappointing outing for the Bobcats so there's a somewhat win for the Vikes, but NF as a whole is struggling. Offense is only averaging 6 a game and 35 on defense, the low depth is taking a toll vs the big guys. Things won't get any easier
as they host RJR this week who despite their record is a very hard willed squad. They played Mt Tabor very hard last week (watched some of it on My 48 lol,) and played SWG hard as well, much like Glenn NF is their easy ball game along with Orange County. NF needs to hope for another close game or else I see RJR taking it out on NF for their close losses the past few weeks..

Question is will NF morally recover after this week or will they check out like Carver did last 2 years before they even get to play the Yellow Jackets?

Greensboro Panthers at WS Prep

The Phoenix finally broke the barrier last week as they beat a respected area program in East Wilkes. It wasn't a bit easy as EW played WSP for a half before injuries ran them cold but WSP's offense was very, very potent to offset the defense not being consistent. The D for WSP was very shallow, they cannot afford to seriously contend unless they find some grit and be willing to hit, but they are getting there. This week the Phoenix host the Greensboro Panthers, a homeschool squad out of Greensboro, very similar to the Hickory Hawks. They played Bishop a couple of years ago and were beaten decently and this WSP team's miles better than that Bishop team so I see it being a comfy win for WSP, possibly the last for a while.

Next week they play Cummings who have one of 2A's hardest schedules (#5,) but have played some big schools hard (dropped 32 on Eastern Alamance,) I see that one being rough for WSP. The Bartlett Yancy game will be quite fun to watch. BY could be playing for a 7th win which if it happens would be their all time most wins in a year. Big deal for them, WSP is in the way.. WSP could either seriously fall down after this week as their conference schedule is quite hard, or they could suprise us and win 2-3 at least of the next few. If they do that, then they are truly here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT