ADVERTISEMENT

Seaforth at Chatham Charter

Chute Boxe Hero

Aug 11, 2005
I just watched one of the best teams in the state (in 1A) take on one of the best players in the state. The result mirrored the old adage "A great team will beat a great player". Chatham Charter straight took it to Seaforth. To the tune of 44-23. That's right.....the Knights held Seaforth to 23.

Folks, Chatham Charter is legit. To beat these guys, your team is going to have to have the total package. CC has a plethora of good ballhandlers and guys that get after it on defense.

The story of this game (IMO) was CC forward Amir Mapp. Mapp is around 6-4 and is strong and athletic. He played some great, outstanding physical defense on Jarin Stevenson tonight. He had Stevenson tired by the end of the first half. Mapp also had the Seaforth crowd very frustrated with his physicality (but he played hard, not dirty). I think some local D-2/D-3 schools need to take a look at him.

CC also has a guy around 6-7 who is fairly long and has a good frame. If CC gets good minutes/play out of him every game, they will be extremely hard to knock off.

Despite being hounded all game, Stevenson still finished with most of his team's points. He's got a fabulous skill set. He just needs his teammates to pick up the slack more often.

I just watched one of the best teams in the state (in 1A) take on one of the best players in the state. The result mirrored the old adage "A great team will beat a great player". Chatham Charter straight took it to Seaforth. To the tune of 44-23. That's right.....the Knights held Seaforth to 23.

Folks, Chatham Charter is legit. To beat these guys, your team is going to have to have the total package. CC has a plethora of good ballhandlers and guys that get after it on defense.

The story of this game (IMO) was CC forward Amir Mapp. Mapp is around 6-4 and is strong and athletic. He played some great, outstanding physical defense on Jarin Stevenson tonight. He had Stevenson tired by the end of the first half. Mapp also had the Seaforth crowd very frustrated with his physicality (but he played hard, not dirty). I think some local D-2/D-3 schools need to take a look at him.

CC also has a guy around 6-7 who is fairly long and has a good frame. If CC gets good minutes/play out of him every game, they will be extremely hard to knock off.

Despite being hounded all game, Stevenson still finished with most of his team's points. He's got a fabulous skill set. He just needs his teammates to pick up the slack more often.
I watched the replay on NFHS. I remember two years ago when I watched Chatham Charter beat Hayesville 3rd round, beat Lincoln Charter 4th round, and take W-S Prep to the wire in the regional final I thought they were incredibly well-coached--methodically executing and taking the other team out of what they want to do. This year's team looks the same, although I didn't see anybody like the Hamilton kid they had two years ago who you could just get the ball to and it was basically a guaranteed bucket. He was one of those guys who size (for his position) and body type wise wasn't going to be a college prospect, but was a better high school player than a lot of guys who were. Still a very good team this year. As for Seaforth, Stevenson is a serious prospect, but they aren't very good. With it being a new school I don't think there are any juniors or seniors on the team, though, so they should be in the mix after this year. Just kind of hard not to think about what could have been at Northwood (even though they still seem to be in the mix in 3A even with Stevenson gone).

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
I watched the replay on NFHS. I remember two years ago when I watched Chatham Charter beat Hayesville 3rd round, beat Lincoln Charter 4th round, and take W-S Prep to the wire in the regional final I thought they were incredibly well-coached--methodically executing and taking the other team out of what they want to do. This year's team looks the same, although I didn't see anybody like the Hamilton kid they had two years ago who you could just get the ball to and it was basically a guaranteed bucket. He was one of those guys who size (for his position) and body type wise wasn't going to be a college prospect, but was a better high school player than a lot of guys who were. Still a very good team this year. As for Seaforth, Stevenson is a serious prospect, but they aren't very good. With it being a new school I don't think there are any juniors or seniors on the team, though, so they should be in the mix after this year. Just kind of hard not to think about what could have been at Northwood (even though they still seem to be in the mix in 3A even with Stevenson gone).
Funny you mention Hamilton.......he's an assistant coach for them now. I really hate that he didn't get a shot somewhere. I really liked his game. Reminded me of the old 80's/90's power forwards.

I actually think this year's Chatham Charter team is better than that one. Mapp is an impressive athlete. I looked on MaxPreps and saw that he's listed at 6-2. I couldn't believe it. He plays way bigger than 6-2. He actually finished over Stevenson a few times. The Harvey brothers are very good complementary players.

I also found out that the 6-7 guy is a freshman. Couldn't believe that either. That's one mature looking freshman. Colleges need to keep an eye on him.

I don't know quite what to think about Seaforth. I am interested in seeing what they look like in the near future. They do have a few other guys that have the potential to be pretty good players. I like the energy of their point guard. It does seem like a bunch of kids went out, kidnapped an NBA player, and forced him to play for them (LOL). Strange team.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT