ADVERTISEMENT

Scales out at Carver?

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Checked Carolina Prep's 2020 coaching page on Monday for coaching changes as it makes for good gossip, and I was surprised to see Scales on Carver from there.. supposedly he's resigned. But the WS Journal has nothing about it in it so far..

Sportnut do you know anything about this?

Feels weird being we were the last school he coached against if he did quit.

Checked Carolina Prep's 2020 coaching page on Monday for coaching changes as it makes for good gossip, and I was surprised to see Scales on Carver from there.. supposedly he's resigned. But the WS Journal has nothing about it in it so far..

Sportnut do you know anything about this?

Feels weird being we were the last school he coached against if he did quit.

I can’t say for sure on how or why he left. But the job is posted on WSFCS website for anyone that wishes to apply. What a fall a once proud program has taken.

OBTW, if you think the WS Journal high school sports coverage has been sparse. It’s only going to get worse. They laid off Jay Spivey on Monday after 28+ years.

Yeah I kinda figured he would honestly.. I called it after 2018.. "He'd last one more year and go." They were an utter mess last year, had 10+ coaches and only 4 did anything. They had 2 of them ejected for being foolish when we played them last year and their guy in the booth cursed at everyone all night it wasn't very fun. This year they were better coached with less guys but their numbers were low. I'll give him credit he did the best he could but Crowell's last year left the program in such a rut they haven't came close to recovering from it.

Whoever takes the job if they keep it all going will have a mountain on them to overcome. They probably won't. Their varsity had only 20 kids when we played them and at least 12 were seniors for senior night, they will be lucky to have a team if they don't get more kids out. They for forfeited to us in JV the finale as they only had 9 kids, not good.

Walkertown and Prep have the momentum in that area now for transfers, Carver won't get hardly anyone to come in there. It's gonna be hard for whoever gets it. My best guess is probably their JV coach.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I seen that about the Journal.. not good. They should be the hallmark of high school coverage in the area but they are falling down. It might be good for the local papers but to get a team in the Journal for an article shows you've made it overall in terms of respectability. I'll never forget we got 2 articles when we beat Bishop in 2010.. that blew our minds because they never covered us much before that.

I just hope it isn't a new trend, we need the Journal around the area.

Yeah I kinda figured he would honestly.. I called it after 2018.. "He'd last one more year and go." They were an utter mess last year, had 10+ coaches and only 4 did anything. They had 2 of them ejected for being foolish when we played them last year and their guy in the booth cursed at everyone all night it wasn't very fun. This year they were better coached with less guys but their numbers were low. I'll give him credit he did the best he could but Crowell's last year left the program in such a rut they haven't came close to recovering from it.

Whoever takes the job if they keep it all going will have a mountain on them to overcome. They probably won't. Their varsity had only 20 kids when we played them and at least 12 were seniors for senior night, they will be lucky to have a team if they don't get more kids out. They for forfeited to us in JV the finale as they only had 9 kids, not good.

Walkertown and Prep have the momentum in that area now for transfers, Carver won't get hardly anyone to come in there. It's gonna be hard for whoever gets it. My best guess is probably their JV coach.

Walkertown is the new Carver at this point, even the head coach is a Carver grad. Pulling for the Wolfpack and Prep to continue growing but it sucks to see my Yellowjackets die out after such a good football history. The WS community literally doesn't care anymore.

Walkertown is the new Carver at this point, even the head coach is a Carver grad. Pulling for the Wolfpack and Prep to continue growing but it sucks to see my Yellowjackets die out after such a good football history. The WS community literally doesn't care anymore.

Yea, I'm a Carver Alum as well. This has been a long time coming to be honest. The county loves this and there's nothing I can do anymore. I've moved on.

Yea, I'm a Carver Alum as well. This has been a long time coming to be honest. The county loves this and there's nothing I can do anymore. I've moved on.

Not surprised, all they care about is the wine cheese folk at Tabor, Reagan, and West Forsyth. Only reason they built up East Forsyth was so they could recruit our players. Tabor and West are just going to wet themselves in the playoffs every year.

Pretty much.. said it once but Walkertown's just an updated Carver with a different name out in the sticks. It's a more secure looking and complete school. Forsyth Co are maroons as Bugs Bunny used to say.. or they could be hidden geniuses like the emperor in Star Wars, just depends on your POV. Neither should be in 2A honestly, they should still be 1 school called Carver in the 3A Piedmont Triad conference coached by McKoy, but it is what is as the kids say. Wouldn't be surprised if Scales joins his staff or goes back to Prep.

I think Prep has potential to be a powerhouse if they keep making gains and getting kids over. They got North Forsyth's best WR this year and it made their offense more explosive. If they get some good lineman over they could do things in the next little bit that's what is hurting them. They have the horses in the skill spots to give Mount Airy and East Surry fits if they can get the lineman who knows..

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Not surprised, all they care about is the wine cheese folk at Tabor, Reagan, and West Forsyth. Only reason they built up East Forsyth was so they could recruit our players. Tabor and West are just going to wet themselves in the playoffs every year.
I am a Tabor alum, 1989. Why doesn't the county care about Carver? They should. Weren't there a decent amount of renovations done to the school in the somewhat recent past - like 10-15 years ago? Doesn't make sense to do that then let the school fall on hard times. It is sad to see what has happened to their football program. I went to a lot of games there in the late 90s and early 2000s and it was a good atmosphere. I never thought I would see the day when Carver would lose to the likes of Forbush and Surry Central.

I can’t say for sure on how or why he left. But the job is posted on WSFCS website for anyone that wishes to apply. What a fall a once proud program has taken.

OBTW, if you think the WS Journal high school sports coverage has been sparse. It’s only going to get worse. They laid off Jay Spivey on Monday after 28+ years.
Sad to hear that about jay, he did excellent work.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I am a Tabor alum, 1989. Why doesn't the county care about Carver? They should. Weren't there a decent amount of renovations done to the school in the somewhat recent past - like 10-15 years ago? Doesn't make sense to do that then let the school fall on hard times. It is sad to see what has happened to their football program. I went to a lot of games there in the late 90s and early 2000s and it was a good atmosphere. I never thought I would see the day when Carver would lose to the likes of Forbush and Surry Central.

Yes but many old good teachers started moving to Atkins after 2004. The renovations helped for a few years but it still gone downhill since Walkertown was built.

This job has been open for a long time, anyone hear anything on it?

Someone on CP's claiming it's an alumni they couldn't hire in 2017. They finished the interviews according to the poster.

My guess is the JV head coach from either 2018 or last year.. one of the Moye brothers. They played in the 80's under Brovender. The one in 2018 didn't do that bad a job with that group but he had only one assistant helping him. His son was their JV QB and played WR last year and he can fly.

If they pick him then it's a safe pick, musta been not many interested. He won't get any extra kids there but they will play harder than they did for Scales. No matter who they hire they won't out do the 4A's, Walkertown, or Prep. Their main goal should be to stay alive. Their JV's folded at the end of the year, another year of that and they won't have a stable program.

I have heard a hire has been made. I believe it will be a good hire. Going to wait until official announcement.

I have heard a hire has been made. I believe it will be a good hire. Going to wait until official announcement.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't hire the JV guy, I figured he had it in the bag.. guess their principal wanted someone outside. It'll be interesting if he lets his son stay or not, he's Carver's best athlete along with Blackburn. If they lose both of those kids they will be in a lot of trouble.

It took me a bit but I remember this guy.. he was D coordinator for Gilchrist at NF, I met him the first year we played them, he was nice. His interview with the Journal was very level headed I'll give him that. He wasn't full of himself like some coaches can be. He didn't say they were gonna win off the bat or anything. Very realistic.

He has a tough road to go ahead of him for sure.. just getting kids out now will be a challenge. They lost a ton of their varsity from last year.. had quite a few kids quit during the year and they lost a lot of seniors. They will be very young this year, all they got's Blackburn and Moye. Blackburn will be a load to handle in the RB spot but without anyone around him I don't see him staying there. Then again who knows they may get some kids out.. but with East, and Prep/Walkertown doing so good it's hard to say they can hang. Just maintaining and not folding the JV team like last year will be a win for them.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85

These things go in cycles. It wasn't all Carver players when they went on their run either. The way Forsyth Co. is designed right now no school will be able to compete year in and out without transfers.

It's factual most if not all of these current championship runs by these programs in the state now are sustained by transfers.

From Reynolds basketball run in 90's (North kids) to Parkland track who get kids there because of their coaching and success this current climate has gone the way of what kids are coming to the school.

You don't even see preseason predictions now until after transfer portal is over.

It's sad but those days of teams made up of neighborhood athletes alone are over.

Carvers issues are external and I understand somewhat internally systemic as well. From what I understand the older alumni and current alumni can't get together on how to help save Carver.

I wish they'd take a page from how the community rallied around and saved Dudley. 1A is their only viable option right now until hopefully things change.

Crowell was never welcomed there even after his initial success. They were still stuck on having a "Carver" guy and that's understandable except Carver was trending upward.

The later part of Crowells coaching tenure was sabotaged when they brought Palmer back as an AD which was the guy Crowell replaced. Don't know what ending other than disastrous they figured would result from that decision.

He really wanted to continue helping Carver turn around after receiving offers to coach at a myriad of other places but that Palmer move expedited his resignation.

Forsyth Co. is better when Carver is viable as a program but the external politics and I believe more importantly the internal strife has to be remedied somehow.

So Veejay, they hire a guy that is a Tabor graduate and has most recently coached at North and Parkland. Not exactly a Carver guy.

Don’t get me wrong, I am pulling for him and Carver regaining some of their glory days.

So Veejay, they hire a guy that is a Tabor graduate and has most recently coached at North and Parkland. Not exactly a Carver guy.

Don’t get me wrong, I am pulling for him and Carver regaining some of their glory days.

I'm hoping they learned from past mistakes but that was the prevailing narrative among other things.

I'm hoping he doesn't run into the SAME AMOUNT resistance Crowells staff did. I hope he's given every opportunity for success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT