ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond: Numbers don't lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdiamond2123

Nov 23, 2008
The following numbers show an unfortunate trend for Raider football.

17-6 - This is Mike Castellano's record as Head Coach. I know the Raiders have won 18 since he came, but he was suspended b/c of a run-in with the law for 1 game & was not the Head Coach on record. This equates to a 73.9 winning percentage. Not bad for a Pinecrest or Hoke, but this is Richmond where we're use to winning 85-90% of our games.

7-3 - This is Richmonds current record. Again that may be good for some places, but not here. Castellano lost 3 games last year & 3 games already this year. Been decades since Richmond has had back to back 3 loss seasons. That is unacceptable.

0-2 - Richmonds record vs Scotland since Castellano took over. You don't lose to your biggest rival and stay coach here.

1-6 - Richmonds record vs Traditional powers since Castellano took over. 0-2 vs Butler, 0-2 vs Scotland, 0-1 vs Page, & 1-1 vs Dudley. The only win came in a Monsoon on a Monday. This is unacceptable.

0 - the amount of points scored vs Scotland last night. 1st time in School history (50 games) where the Scots have held the Raiders scoreless. Of course, that is Burdeau's fault too. You're not in a weak Raleigh league anymore.

Everyone said give him 2 yrs to get his program in place. Well, it's in place and Richmond football looks like a shell of its former self.

These numbers prove Castellano & his staff are in over their head. The Numbers don't lie! It's obvious the committee made a mistake in this hiring. Castellano & his staffs tenure has been an EPIC FAILURE!

With that said, I expect Richmond to pummel Swett next week. Because, we know Swett couldn't play dead in a Cowboy movie. I also expect, Castellano's assistant, roommate, & bag carrier Doc Holiday JB to
chime in about his hatred for Hoggard, when nothing was mentioned about Hoggard.

The Numbers don't lie.......EPIC FAILURE!
It's time to make a wrong, a right.

Fo Sho, Fo Sho Castellano must go!

17-6 - This is Mike Castellano's record as Head Coach. I know the Raiders have won 18 since he came, but he was suspended b/c of a run-in with the law for 1 game & was not the Head Coach on record. This equates to a 73.9 winning percentage. Not bad for a Pinecrest or Hoke, but this is Richmond where we're use to winning 85-90% of our games.

7-3 - This is Richmonds current record. Again that may be good for some places, but not here. Castellano lost 3 games last year & 3 games already this year. Been decades since Richmond has had back to back 3 loss seasons. That is unacceptable.

0-2 - Richmonds record vs Scotland since Castellano took over. You don't lose to your biggest rival and stay coach here.

1-6 - Richmonds record vs Traditional powers since Castellano took over. 0-2 vs Butler, 0-2 vs Scotland, 0-1 vs Page, & 1-1 vs Dudley. The only win came in a Monsoon on a Monday. This is unacceptable.

0 - the amount of points scored vs Scotland last night. 1st time in School history (50 games) where the Scots have held the Raiders scoreless. Of course, that is Burdeau's fault too. You're not in a weak Raleigh league anymore.

Everyone said give him 2 yrs to get his program in place. Well, it's in place and Richmond football looks like a shell of its former self.

These numbers prove Castellano & his staff are in over their head. The Numbers don't lie! It's obvious the committee made a mistake in this hiring. Castellano & his staffs tenure has been an EPIC FAILURE!

With that said, I expect Richmond to pummel Swett next week. Because, we know Swett couldn't play dead in a Cowboy movie. I also expect, Castellano's assistant, roommate, & bag carrier Doc Holiday JB to
chime in about his hatred for Hoggard, when nothing was mentioned about Hoggard.

Don't disagree with you here, but I'm starting to feel the talent has simply dried up in Richmond! Don't have the size, talent anymore! They play their hearts out, but no where near the teams I saw back in the late 90's, 2000's. But I still support them!!

Go Raiders!

Reactions: RaidersRocks
I didn't get a chance to see the game last night. My loss. I also never got a chance to see the Raider glory days. Since 2008 I have seen them several times. Saw them in 14 and 2015.

My take away on both occasions is they simply don't look physically like the other big time 4a schools except for Catholic. Dudley, Mallard Creek, Scotland, Page and to a lesser degree East Forsyth or even Pinecrest ( who they have beat twice). It looks to me like they have lost the bigs that develop in a program and that the work in the weightroom has been lagging. Neither of these two issues gets fixed in 18 months which is what this current coach has had.

They have lost to 3 teams this year. Dudley, Scotland and Butler. I would bet very good money that if Scotland goes east you may very well have 3 of the 4 title game participants in 4a.

I laugh when I read these " This is Richmond county and its not good enough" commentary. I have been reading it for 5 years now. " Fire the coach", " Get a winner"

You guys want to keep rotating???? Go take a good look at The Big I. Hows that working out.

IF YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN GET OUT THERE AND DO IT OTHERWISE KEEP IT SHUT!! YOUR BELOVED COACH HOGGARD SIMPLY QUIT HE WAS NO BETTER HIS ONE PLAY PLAYBOOK WAS GETTING BORING

His 1 play playbook put points on the board and won a State Championship. This Coach doesn't have the ability to do either.

Hoggard put his program in place at Edenton and they have improved.
Castellano left Middle Creek & they have improved .
Castellano took over here, and Richmond has regressed.

King was right, the numbers don't lie. Castellano has done one thing for some of you, he's made you accept being a loser!

Reactions: drawplay000
I've had the chance to travel and see a lot of teams over this state and since your coaching change 2 yrs ago, you guys are going in reverse.
When Richmond won the title in 2008, they had a small OL. It's all about who's teaching them and what you're trying to do with them. The great Tommy Knotts use to say that Coach Hoggard and his staff did more with less talent than anyone. There was a respect. I don't hear that from coaches now that you've made your change.

Personally, I think yall made a mistake 2 yrs ago. But, hey some people like being irrelevant.

LIKE I SAID IF YOU CAN DO ANY BETTER THEN GO SEE IF YOU CAN APPLY! HOGGARD QUIT SO NO EXCUSES ABOUT THAT EITHER!!

Don't be so touchy Skippy. I'm sure the new coach would let you keep your job. Castellano isn't getting it done. Burdeau's offense is only good against teams with No arms & legs. He isn't getting it done either. Castellano & Burdeau need to exit stage left now. I'll come help them pack their offices and shared house.

The Numbers don't lie. The longer they stay, the more irrelevant Richmond will become.

Hoggard was treated like crap by the fan base. Saw it on the field after the last Scotland game . Paul Hoggard is a class act!

Reactions: cbtdvr
His 1 play playbook put points on the board and won a State Championship. This Coach doesn't have the ability to do either.

Hoggard put his program in place at Edenton and they have improved.
Castellano left Middle Creek & they have improved .
Castellano took over here, and Richmond has regressed.

King was right, the numbers don't lie. Castellano has done one thing for some of you, he's made you accept being a loser!
Ding. Ding....we have a winner....

Hoggard was treated like crap by the fan base. Saw it on the field after the last Scotland game . Paul Hoggard is a class act!
And the way people on this board and in the community talked about his son was so childish...i would have left all the ignorants in richmond county also..but be careful what you ask for..you just might get it..you got that wide open offense yall wanted..lol..lit it up Friday night didnt it..4 losses this years going to bring that raider winning percentage down again

Some people are idiots lol. We have loss too the three top teams in the state right now. Is it the coach's fault the receivers dropped the ball? What about the 10 yard punt was that coach's fault? Go to youth football game or middle school game that's where winning in high school starts and kids just not coming out like they use too.

So this only.happens at Richmond?..didnt think so...ran Hoggard off for alot less.
If you happy with 3 and 4 loss seasons and early playoff losses..congrats

Ding. Ding....we have a winner....
Drawplay, Raider Daddy and btango, I agree with each of you. I don't really have a dog in the fight other than I am an Edenton Holmes Aces fan, but just a few observations. First, when Coach Hoggard was hired, one Raider fan came on this board and said "Edenton can have him and his one play offense" and I replied at that time"we will be glad to have his 42 points a game 1 play offense here in Edenton" and look at what we have now here at Holmes. Secondly, now that I have seen Coach Hoggard's offense for two years, I wonder about the football IQ of people who say it is a one play offense as there about a hundred different play variations that initially appear to be the same play. Lastly, if people are honest with themselves there is no way you can say Hoggard quit as the truth of the matter is that certain people wanted him gone and ran him out of town.

Aces, you are 100% correct. I don't care what the official reason for Hoggard leaving was but he was ran out of town. He was going to be fired in 2008 but Richmond want on an unbelievable ran that ended in a state championship. What has not been stated here is that big name coaches do not allow for the open head coaches position because of the behavior of SOME of their fans.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Aces. You now know what ignorance Hoggard had to put up with at Richmond. His offense was/is way more dynamic than what "Some" thought. A lot of people have realized they lost a good thing. Even the most positive people that never speak negative have been grumbling now about the Raiders lack of direction.

Here's another number........

1 - as in zingers spewed by the son of a Scotland coach. The kid tweeted......come on Richmond, you're supposed to be our rival, you could've at least scored.

We've become a laughingstock to Scotland & others. This is so sad. Time to make a change for the BETTER!

MAKE RICHMOND GREAT AGAIN! LMAO - no one is intimidated by RC anymore. Last night I said 10-15 years ago when they would run our 80 plus players the other team would wilt. Scots dressed 45 or so last night and didn't flinch. You have to understand nothing stays the same forever. Changing coaches again? Good luck with that every 2 years!

Hoggard and his group of coaches at RSHS couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag...

Hoggard at Edenton with his nepotism and all is only averaging 43 points a game so far this season just pitiful with such a predictable offense.

There is another school less than an hour away from the Rock that is mostly staffed by former RSHS assistants. Is this school undefeated and ranked #1 (next poll) in the state in their division? YES

It appears Hoggard and his staff at RSHS pretty much sucked

Lol araiderfan, now you know some dimwitted Raider fans that don't understand sarcasm will think you're siding with them.

You don't know what you got until it's gone!

Oh jmcdade, Castellano should've never been hired in the 1st place, so getting rid of him right now makes perfect sense. But, if I was a Scotland fan I'd want Castellano & his no scoring OC Mr. Burdeau to stay forever. We would like to beat you guys again or at least score. For that to happen, we need a change!

Reactions: araiderfan
Wth we could care less who u have. Ron Rivera could have coached last nights game. Coaches don't drop passes. Coaches don't miss blocks and tackles. U guys need to support ur team better. Didn't like coach Ed, Hog, now this one. Suck it up buttercup. Ur talent may be down. This being Scotland's "rebuilding" year gives u something to look forward to the next few.

Coaches supposed to work on those things in practice though, so players are prepared in games. That's hard to do though when coaches arrive late for practice and have no pride in their players or jobs.
You're right, some didn't like Ed & some didn't like Hogg. My point is both of those guys could coach circles around Castellano, so why do we want to accept mediocrity with him? The Numbers don't lie, he needs to go and take his Middle Creek buddies with him.

Guys if it will make you all feel better I will gladly talk with some of the heavy hitters here in Scotland county in order to solicit donations to help pay Castellano's salary. I know for a fact they would be willing to give generously.

Lol, if you guys like automatic wins and Shutouts over the Raiders you should. I'm talking to some of the heavy hitters here about buying him & his chauffeur a house many hours away from here.

If memory serves correct, seems like the Richmond Superintendent was very instrumental in hiring Castellano. I know he embarrassed her after the Butler game last year. Wonder how she feels knowing people are calling her hire a miserable failure and considers Richmond a laughingstock now? I mean it is pretty bad when your rival is making jokes about paying his salary to keep him in Richmond. I do feel sorry for the fine folks in Richmond that knows good football, but don't get to see it anymore.

Reactions: kingdiamond2123
Since you're willing to pay him, we'll trade you both Castellano & Burdeau (our brilliant OC that allowed Scotland to shut us out for the 1st tome) for a mouthpiece & a band aid.

To heck with that, if they took Castellano & Burdeau off our hands, I'd buy them a box of mouthpieces & band aids.

KIngDiamond2123....You are a truly an embarrassment to those really true fans of Richmond Raiders football. Richmond lost three games and you said that is unacceptable. That is crazy!!! Richmond lost to three top five team in the state bar none!
Just about 98% of 4A high school football teams would have same losses as Richmond with those three teams (Dudley, Butler and Scotland) That is NORMAL!

I saw Richmond last year at Page and I tell you like other fans were trying to tell you in previous posts elsewhere on this forum. Richmond does not have the same "magic" or mystique like in the past (especially in 88-90) Richmond has a great football tradition but it won't be like back in late 80' and early 90's. Page just ran over them like a bulldozer but the following week, MC put a woodshed and running clock on Page. I also saw Richmond few years ago without Castellano and Northwest Guilford beat them handily. (mostly running plays)

The kids now days have a lot of information at hand and not much jaded like in the past. Back in 70s to 90's, we didn't have internet and high power cable like today.....so we read newspaper and get that certain mystique from certain teams. A lot of teams already lost before the players get on the field against Richmond, Kannopolis Brown, Robbinsville, Shelby and certain other teams in the past. It is not like that anymore.

Richmond is a solid football program and probably will not rise to powerhouse due to so many good teams out there. There are also a lot of great coaches today. Richmond won only won TWO state championships in past 25 years. You want to get rid of that coach.....GEEZ. You need to look in the mirror and should accept the fact Richmond is a good football school .....not GREAT!

I certainly hope most Richmond fans are very supportive of the school and not become the SECOND " Independence" Look at them, they fired the coach right before the season started (a week) and they CRASHED AND BURNED. The mom and pops wanted different coach and influence the principal to fire a great coach that won several state titles at other school. (according to some reports I have read back in August) Their record this year is 2-9.

It is very sad to see some of the fans are so critical of the football program and live in the PAST. These are kids and they should get much support as they can from all Richmond fans out there. Castellano is not making a lot of money for the hours he put in like all football coaches in state of NC. They don't put in 40 hours of work and go home. They put in a lot of hours without OVERTIME MONEY. Support the team and coaches, if the power of the school program decided to get a new coach down the road, the support that coach to the fullest. If they decide to fire Castellano, I highly doubt many great coaches will come to the door to apply because you guys only gave him TWO YEARS. That tells all coaches to beware of Richmond.

Two years are not enough to become a powerhouse again. It takes time and build foundation of a solid program. Good luck to Richmond in playoff!!!!

Macta, kids have same opportunities everywhere these days. No reason Richmond is losing the way they are. It's an embarrassment. Castellano shouldn't have been hired in the 1st place. That was obvious when his morals & character were exposed last year after the Butler game.

When Scotland fans hopes he stays at Richmond for a long-long time, you know he sucks. The Numbers don't lie, he needs to go

I would let the season play out. If Richmond goes east they may make a strong run. I think Butler may be the west rep in 4AA and many expect Dudley and Scotland in the 4A title game if they go separate regions. Pretty tough teams the Raiders most to.

I get that btango. 2 of those 3 losses really wasn't that competitive though. Going to the weak east would be the worst thing to happen for this program. A couple wins and now you're dealing with fools gold again. Besides the embarrassing losses, Castellano just doesn't have the ethics, morals, or character to lead the Raider program.

It's not just coaching and has been repeated before.
The first 60 seconds says it all. Alot of potential Raider players now live in other counties because families moving due to the changing economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT