ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond@ Dudley

Hood had about 149 yds rushing against Dudley, i don't know if i would call that a shut down? I am very familiar with Dudley's Defense. Hard to give them top defense in the State based on schedule thus far.

I like Dudley on this one, but top defense in the State? Hard to determine how good your defense is after playing Carver, Ragsdale, Davie, and Pine Forest. Come on Man!

Have you seen Dudley play up close? I have, and I stand with what I just stated. Their defense is very similar to last year's defense, and last year's D was easily in the top 10 in the state.

Richmond will have trouble this Friday. They will have to execute to near perfection to have any chance against Dudley.

Very similar? Thru 5 games last season, Dudley gave up 22 total points (4.4 pts/gm). Thru 5 games this season, Dudley has already given up 48 total points (9.6 pts/gm), despite the fact that they've only played one team all year long with a winning record (2A Carver). Last year Dudley had only given up 43 points thru their first 9 games, which this defense has already blown right past.

Dude, I think the better question is what in the heck are you looking at that leads you to believe that this year's defense is anything at all like last year's defense? They sure haven't played like it so far in 2015. I understand blind optimism or even some homerism, but when the truth is that obvious due to the basic facts at hand, then it's really hard to take it seriously.

I have the feeling there's going to be some long faces in Dudley this week when they realize that Richmond is a hell of lot better than all of the teams they've played so far this year combined.

Last edited:
Reactions: nepsy7
Have you seen Dudley play up close? I have, and I stand with what I just stated. Their defense is very similar to last year's defense, and last year's D was easily in the top 10 in the state.

Richmond will have trouble this Friday. They will have to execute to near perfection to have any chance against Dudley.

So based on Hokie's facts. Earnhardt Forever! You are just making stuff up, to see if it sticks.

Earnhardt,
I saw them friday and even though their competition has been really bad they pass the eyeball test for sure. They are overly aggressive and upfront the 2 ends are as quick as any ends you will see in NC (first step). They are undersized at 200 and 210 but they get off the ball on every snap. Their Db's are long and rangy. All of them are 6'0 to 6'2 and like the ends very aggressive. Richmond has been week in previous years up front on both sides of the ball - they better have improved greatly or it will not be pretty. Been around enough ball on and off the field and Dudley has all the pieces. Not MC imposing or the 2013 version of Dudley but I think after the RC game and Page game folks will overlook their competition and give them their due. The one thing RC has going for them is they are a pass oriented team now and not a option team. They are better suited to give Dudley problems in their current system than previous years.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
Very similar? Thru 5 games last season, Dudley gave up 22 total points (4.4 pts/gm). Thru 5 games this season, Dudley has already given up 48 total points (9.6 pts/gm), despite the fact that they've only played one team all year long with a winning record (2A Carver). Last year Dudley had only given up 43 points thru their first 9 games, which this defense has already blown right past.

Dude, I think the better question is what in the heck are you looking at that leads you to believe that this year's defense is anything at all like last year's defense? They sure haven't played like it so far in 2015. I understand blind optimism or even some homerism, but when the truth is that obvious due to the basic facts at hand, then it's really hard to take it seriously.

I have the feeling there's going to be some long faces in Dudley this week when they realize that Richmond is a hell of lot better than all of the teams they've played so far this year combined.

Have you seen Dudley play a game? From reading your post, I'm guessing not. I'm not picking a fight with you, although you comments show a general lack of class. Go to the Dudley-Richmond game and make your own observations.

Pointing out stats that blatantly contradict what you are saying about a team's fantasy greatness is showing a general lack of class?

Serious question for you...in your mind, are you the only person in the world who has any class at all? If spouting stats is your criteria, then I totally agree...I'm the most classless person that ever lived.

Pointing out stats that blatantly contradict what you are saying about a team's fantasy greatness is showing a general lack of class?

Serious question for you...in your mind, are you the only person in the world who has any class at all? If spouting stats is your criteria, then I totally agree...I'm the most classless person that ever lived.

Again, you haven't seen Dudley play, have you? Stats are great, and they give you a good global sense, but sometimes you have to look at the product with your own eyes.

As far as your question goes, don't try and belittle me for having an opinion. You can use stats all you want...although averaging less than 10 points a game is still very impressive, specifically when you are doing a lot of substitution during the game.

Have you seen Dudley play a game? From reading your post, I'm guessing not. I'm not picking a fight with you, although you comments show a general lack of class. Go to the Dudley-Richmond game and make your own observations.

So strength of schedule and facts are irrelevant with you?

Again, you haven't seen Dudley play, have you? Stats are great, and they give you a good global sense, but sometimes you have to look at the product with your own eyes.
I have not seen them play, but I'm still trying to figure out your angle here? If your argument is that Dudley's defense is much better than their numbers would indicate, then why have they not been playing up to their abilities so far this season? And since they haven't been playing up to their abilities, then why should that inspire me to suddenly drop everything and go see them play?

I can see underachieving teams not playing up to their potential right here in my own back yard without having to drive two hours to go watch it, so what's the angle here?

I have not seen them play, but I'm still trying to figure out your angle here? If your argument is that Dudley's defense is much better than their numbers would indicate, then why have they not been playing up to their abilities so far this season? And since they haven't been playing up to their abilities, then why should that inspire me to suddenly drop everything and go see them play?

I can see underachieving teams not playing up to their potential right here in my own back yard without having to drive two hours to go watch it.

I disagree with your premise: have they really not played up to their abilities during the season? They have held every team to 14 point or less during the season, with some of those scores coming against substitutes.

Again, wait until Friday night so you can judge the team yourself.

Dudleys schedule 5 games
Carver: 2A
Ragsdale: 1-4
Davie: 2-3
Hillside 2-2
Pine Forest: 2-3

I hope Dudley's coaching staff is not as delusional as you guys. You don't call your defense top in the state with that schedule, this early. Even if you saw them play in person? All teams look good against inferior competition.

Dudleys schedule 5 games
Carver: 2A
Ragsdale: 1-4
Davie: 2-3
Hillside 2-2
Pine Forest: 2-3

I hope Dudley's coaching staff is not as delusional as you guys. You don't call your defense top in the state with that schedule, this early. Even if you saw them play in person? All teams look good against inferior competition.

.....and I didn't call Dudley's defense "top in the state". I said they were among the best in the state. Big difference between what I stated and what you think I stated. The best defenses in the state have to be teams like Mallard Creek, Crest, and Charlotte Catholic.

Hillside's two losses were to Dudley and to Southern Durham. Most 3A and 4A teams in the state would lose to these two programs.

OK then. One good thing about this entire subject line is that we will not have to guess for long about how good Dudley's defense is or is not, unlike with certain other lower classification programs around the state that duck competition like we have ebola or something. Kudos to Dudley and Richmond both for having the stones to schedule games like this, and win or lose for either team, they get big check marks in my book for doing so. Good luck to both teams on Friday night.

.....and I didn't call Dudley's defense "top in the state".
That was CC14 who stated that Dudley's defense was just as good as Butler's defense this year. I posted a bunch of stats that clearly and decisively say otherwise, but now I understand that stats don't matter when it comes to determining how good someone is.

OK then. One good thing about this entire subject line is that we will not have to guess for long about how good Dudley's defense is or is not, unlike with certain other lower classification programs around the state that duck competition like we have ebola or something. Kudos to Dudley and Richmond both for having the stones to schedule games like this, and win or lose for either team, they get big check marks in my book for doing so. Good luck to both teams on Friday night.

I concur with your sentiments. And for the record, I'm not a Dudley fan. I was asked to take some kids to the Dudley-Hillside game. Dudley has three really good RB's that can wear a defense down too. Truthfully, I could care less who wins that game.

Hey Nep - do you not believe that Dudley has been one of the top 4a defenses year in and out over the last couple of seasons? I ask that question because in the past they played this same bad schedule and they still continue to prove to be pretty damn good. I believe this year will be the same. Not saying they want loose because I think their o-line is ok not great. I'm not sure when the points they gave up occurred so I'm not going to act like I'm an expert on Dudley. However, like you I believe I know good football teams when I see them especially on D. I thought in 2013 SC would run up and down the field on Dudley because i thought their schedule was very bad. I was wrong and was the first to admit it. Granted I think a healthy scots team and a dry track would have provided a better situation for SC. We can ll agree to disagree but delusional I'm not. Time will sort all of this out. Personally, I hope they are not as good as I think.

Reactions: Scots_nation
Panthers don't care about critics of our strenght of schedule...we have heard it all before and in the grand scheme of things , it means nothing.

Looking for a nice crowd for this game though. Safe travels Raiders. Last time the Panthers and Raiders met in the regular season they both won championship titles.

Hey Nep - do you not believe that Dudley has been one of the top 4a defenses year in and out over the last couple of seasons?
Not Nep, but I wholeheartedly agree that Dudley had has top notch defenses the last few years. Here's the rub for me...statistically, those previous defenses were totally dominant against the bad teams they were playing, and they stayed dominant when the competition picked up.

This year's numbers, on the other hand, are far from dominant against the bad teams they are playing, and I have bad news for anyone who believes otherwise...but the numbers are not going to magically get better as the competition increases. The numbers say that something is off with this year's defense compared to years past, plain and simple. I haven't seen them in person so I can't offer an opinion as to what has changed, but something is different.

I can't tell you what is different but I can tell you they have players. They might not be as as dialed in as previous dudley's d's which had a killer instinct and would step on your throat. I think in the end most schools would love it if they had a d like dudley's.

I agree, and it's been correctly mentioned several times in this thread that it wasn't Dudley fans who were claiming to be the best in the state. Any of my responses in this thread were not addressed to the good Dudley fans in any way. I'm impressed that you guys scheduled this game, and now if we can just get you to come to Charlotte every once in a while (you guys are good enough to have earned an invitation to the party we throw every year), then we'll be all set.

.....and I didn't call Dudley's defense "top in the state". I said they were among the best in the state. Big difference between what I stated and what you think I stated. The best defenses in the state have to be teams like Mallard Creek, Crest, and Charlotte Catholic.

Hillside's two losses were to Dudley and to Southern Durham. Most 3A and 4A teams in the state would lose to these two programs.

It should have went more like, our schedule has not been that competitive. We will find out more about our defense this week: Also Hillside actually lost to 1-3 New Bern.

I don't care what team is in question. Hard to tell how good a defense is, with that schedule. How it turned out the previous years is irrelevant.

Dudley gave up 7 to Ragsdale and Page gave up 6. Than Page gave up 50 to Reagan. That might have something to do with stiffer competition? Which you guys seem to believe does not matter.

If you guys want to call their defense among the best in the state after 5 games and based on previous years results. Good for you! I grade differently. May the best team win!

My friend were at Dudley/Ragsdale game and he told me Ragsdale score in 4th Q I believe so the game were already in hand and first team were off the field by then. Now Page has to play first team defense the whole game against Reagan and got burned badly. Ragsdale has NO offense whatsoever.

It should have went more like, our schedule has not been that competitive. We will find out more about our defense this week: Also Hillside actually lost to 1-3 New Bern.

I don't care what team is in question. Hard to tell how good a defense is, with that schedule. How it turned out the previous years is irrelevant.

Dudley gave up 7 to Ragsdale and Page gave up 6. Than Page gave up 50 to Reagan. That might have something to do with stiffer competition? Which you guys seem to believe does not matter.

If you guys want to call their defense among the best in the state after 5 games and based on previous years results. Good for you! I grade differently. May the best team win!

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own set of facts.

Hillside defeated New Bern 29 to 27.

That was CC14 who stated that Dudley's defense was just as good as Butler's defense this year. I posted a bunch of stats that clearly and decisively say otherwise, but now I understand that stats don't matter when it comes to determining how good someone is.

You missed the point. Stats do matter, but you can't "pick and choose" how to use statistics. Sure, Dudley has allowed more points this year, but your conclusions stop at this point. Instead, you've got to get you hands dirty and discover whether there is a reason for this to happen. As stated by others, many of those points that Dudley allows are when the 1st and 2nd stringers are sitting on the bench.

that non conference schedual looks like a scotland non confrence schedual!! While you all are arguing about the schedual we will see how good thier defense is friday night

You missed the point. Stats do matter, but you can't "pick and choose" how to use statistics. Sure, Dudley has allowed more points this year, but your conclusions stop at this point. Instead, you've got to get you hands dirty and discover whether there is a reason for this to happen. As stated by others, many of those points that Dudley allows are when the 1st and 2nd stringers are sitting on the bench.

So the previous years when the defensive stats were better 1's & 2's stayed in the game?

Last edited:
Raider 2014- don't be shocked if that week scheduled Dudley team beats you worst than SC has the last 4 years.

So the previous years when the stats were better 1's & 2's stayed in the game?

Good question, and I don't know if they played more time, the same time, or less time. My guess is less time on the field. Last year through 5 games, Dudley won on average by 25 points. This year, that average through 5 games is 36. Games were most likely put out of reach earlier this year than last year. Dudley's 1st and 2nd stringers allowed Hillside to score its two TD's in the 1st half, but in the 2nd half, it was a contest between men and boys. That was a true, dominating effort by Dudley. I do know that Carver scored it's only TD late in the 4th quarter against 3rd stringers.

Scots beat sv 47/25 richmonds up 48/14 still in 3rd. Does that mean dudley would dust the scots? Just asking
No disrespect but quite possible for Dudley to handle both of them. I'm not saying blowout just beat them.

R magic all I'm saying is that your fans should quit talking about dudley's schedule. It has been beat to death and it doesn't matter. I saw dudley friday and I think at this current time they would beat the SC. I think SC has a lot of work to do but they are getting better on D and that is where it starts if you want win a ship.

R magic all I'm saying is that your fans should quit talking about dudley's schedule. It has been beat to death and it doesn't matter. I saw dudley friday and I think at this current time they would beat the SC. I think SC has a lot of work to do but they are getting better on D and that is where it starts if you want win a ship.
Jmacde99 I would just like to point out that the majority of the people in this discussion are not Richmond fans.

Point taken and I hope RC does put on a good showing and get the W. That will make the end of the year game even better.

Who ever comes out of the West for 4A will be a load. They will be battle tested like no other. Dudley, Vance, CC will be a toss up. All 3 are special really good teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT