ADVERTISEMENT

Raider offense and Defense

Don't know that I would blame the coaching or like you said talent. I've always looked and Pinecrest and wondered how 20 miles could be so different from Richmond County. But good point. I believe community support also has a lot to do with a program's success. And again Pinecrest has gotten behind their school in the last few years and has had a lot more success.

Last edited:
The coaching gap has been much greater than the talent gap recently and some of that talent gap was a result of not wanting to play under the coaching gap.

You know you may be right but all of the NC HS coaches that I have spoken to say that Hoggard is one of the best oline coaches hands down. Greg Williams is a great receiver coach. Just because they don't choose to run the offense you want run does not mean they aren't very good at their job. Tommy Knotts admitted in 2008 that his coaching staff stayed up most of the night trying to figure out how to stop Richmond's offense. They never did.

It doesn't have anything to do with the 'offense I want'. You could see a steady decline and that offense would get worse as the season went on and just about always looked like crap in the playoffs. We have already established it took every bit of talent on both sides of the ball to make it work. Hoggard being a good oline coach doesn't make him a great head coach and Williams being able to teach WRs how to block doesn't make him a great WR coach.

They never developed a defense and never developed a passing game in all their years hear. Looks like that should show you how "great" they were.

If I was a coach of another team I would not want Richmond to develop a more modern attack either and I sure wouldn't want them to start paying attention to the defense.

Last edited:
I'll state this as an impartial observer that happens to have ties across the state.

Heel yes, what you FAIL to understand is that Hoggard & Williams are BOTH recognized across the state as Great coaches. It's ok for you to have YOUR opinion. But, you and the 3 others that cried about throwing the ball are the minority when it comes to respect for Hoggard & Williams. I think it's time you quit trying to belittle 2 excellent coaches.

You talk about moving on and supporting the New staff, so why don't you do it. I can't wait to see this new modern offense & stout defense you're talking about. I was surprised to hear Richmond ever trailed Anson however. After an easy game against Byrd this week your season begins.

Reactions: sikner51
Honestly it will probably take about 3 years to install the more modern attack that they are using and I am surprised it is working at all at the moment. In that time hoggard would have won nothing of meaning so I am glad they are moving in the right directions.

Personally I want my revivers to receive and my blockers to block, and my qbs to pass and my running back to run. They are doing it right.

I'll state this as an impartial observer that happens to have ties across the state.

Heel yes, what you FAIL to understand is that Hoggard & Williams are BOTH recognized across the state as Great coaches. It's ok for you to have YOUR opinion. But, you and the 3 others that cried about throwing the ball are the minority when it comes to respect for Hoggard & Williams. I think it's time you quit trying to belittle 2 excellent coaches.

You talk about moving on and supporting the New staff, so why don't you do it. I can't wait to see this new modern offense & stout defense you're talking about. I was surprised to hear Richmond ever trailed Anson however. After an easy game against Byrd this week your season begins.

Read the first post again and see if I started this. It took more than 3 people to get rid of him.

Fact: 4 L's in a row to Scotland and early playoff exits is what got rid of him.

Move on. Heel Yes listening to you slam Hoggard is about as fun as watching some guy constantly scratch his junk.

You know you may be right but all of the NC HS coaches that I have spoken to say that Hoggard is one of the best oline coaches hands down. Greg Williams is a great receiver coach. Just because they don't choose to run the offense you want run does not mean they aren't very good at their job. Tommy Knotts admitted in 2008 that his coaching staff stayed up most of the night trying to figure out how to stop Richmond's offense. They never did.
Agree 100% Twist!!

Go Raiders!

I'll say it before and I'll say it again. It does not matter what style of offense or defense Richmond runs. They have the athletes to excel no matter what system is in place. What truly matters is the coaching staff's ability to teach their schemes and make the athletes understand the why, not just the how of doing things.

Richmond will be fine, but the reality is that their fans (some, anyway) will run a coach off if he doesn't win a state title every single year, or at least every other year. Only one team a year can be a state champion in a division. People who expect it to happen every year are fooling themselves.

What does Mallard Creek do best , What does Scotland do best , what does Butler do best...Exactly.......You want to be a big time football program you better be able to run the football......nuff said....

The good news is that Byrd isn't very good, so for tonight the Raiders should be able to do what they want. If the Raiders don't win by 30-35+, let the head scratching really begin.

What does Mallard Creek do best , What does Scotland do best , what does Butler do best...Exactly.......You want to be a big time football program you better be able to run the football......nuff said....

Sounds like mallard creek just got beat with the forward pass. Scotland almost lost to a 3a school that likes to sling it.

This week is were it gets hard. Really hard. These boys still only have 2 months learning an entirely different game. It will be important for the coaches to keep the kids focused on the big picture.

The defense will need a huge game from the opening bell and no lapse in special teams.

This week will show how much or how little they have learned in an extremely short amount of time.

Keep digging, let's go Raiders.

Reactions: Doc Holliday-JB
This week is were it gets hard. Really hard. These boys still only have 2 months learning an entirely different game. It will be important for the coaches to keep the kids focused on the big picture.

The defense will need a huge game from the opening bell and no lapse in special teams.

This week will show how much or how little they have learned in an extremely short amount of time.

Keep digging, let's go Raiders.
I was pleased with the way we looked last night...Got to work on those special teams.....Glad to see us able to run the football...The MOST DISSAPOINTMENT WAS SEEING SOME STARTERS [2-3] ON THE FIELD WHEN THE SCORE 55 12.....NO EXCUSE FOR THAT.....WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY.........nuff said

Actually Marlboro runs more than they pass over the course of a season....ask Coach Boyd yourself.....of course facts never fit in your world

What were their numbers last night? I don't know but I would like for u to tell us.

We had about 400 yards of offence and gave up about 150 total on D. 80 of that was on one drive

What were their numbers last night? I don't know but I would like for u to tell us.

Unofficially, Richmond scored 55 points with 417 yards offense on 37 plays. On the ground, Richmond was 23 carries for 319 yards. While in the air Richmond went 8 of 14 passing for 98 yards.

Let's stir the pot a little. If it had not been for that great passing attack we have we would have been in a lot of trouble last night. The non existent running game was even more impressive. I am afraid we have a lot of work ahead of us to get things right. I believe this team has the heart and ability to be very good before the end of the year. Last year we would score every 6 to 8 plays with the running game and only occasionally passed. I like the new passing attack when it is working. Last night it was not. I think the main problem is the offensive line in both the passing and running attack and the wide receivers blocking or lack of. who coached the O line and wide receivers last year? Oh! thats right we ran them off. One of the Carolina Panthers coaching staff said last year that Richmond had the best downfield blocking that he had ever seen by a high school team. We have basically the same wide receivers this year. I think that may they are working hard at running the new routes and not getting into blocking mode when we have a running play or the Qb has to scramble. As for the O line I know they are young and new.They also have new blocking schemes.
The main thing I am saying is that we need to improve greatly or we are in for a long season. Despite what some posters say we do need to develop a decent running game just like last year we needed to develop a decent passing game.
I think the team and the new coaches will be fine and will improve as the season goes along. Right now I see at least 3 and maybe 4 loses this year. I hope not and request that if that does happen that the fans give the kids and the coaching staff respect and time to develop the new system. We should all remember that Richmond plays one of the tougher schedules in the state.
Very nice write up.

That's the problem ol ye of little football knowledge. Receivers do more than Receive, RB'S do more than Run, QBS do more than Pass, & Blockers as you call them have many different steps and fits to do it right!

And right now, they are Not doing it the right way.

I'll go so far as to say Castellano won't be here in 3 yrs. This is a stepping stone to South Carolina for him. He may get a free pass this year, but if he isn't making it to the Regional or State finals, the For Sale signs will be up anyhow.
What do you think about the Raiders now with a 7-1 record?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT