ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Proposed Rotating NC State Tournament Schedule

Post 36

Jun 6, 2007
Please shoot holes in this as I've spent about 5 minutes putting together a rotating schedule to propose for the State Tournament going forward.

Including Games 5-8 for Day 2 in the first schedule; however, they will always remain the same as normal in the Legion bracket to ensure teams from the same Area have a chance to meet in the winners bracket final on Day 3.

If the Host wins the Area Championship and secures the #1 Seed; then Games 3 & 4 simply switch to accommodate the Host team having the last game of the day.

Area 1 - Host
Game 1: Area 3 - #1 vs. Area 4 - #2
Game 2: Area 4 - #1 vs. Area 3 - #2
Game 3: Area 1 - #1 vs Area 2 - #2
Game 4: Area 2 - #1 vs Host

Game 5: Loser of Gm 1 vs Loser Gm 3
Game 6: Loser of Gm 2 vs Loser Gm 4
Game 7: Winner of Gm 1 vs Winner Gm 3
Game 8: Winner of Gm 2 vs Winner Gm 4

Area 2 - Host
Game 1: Area 4 - #1 vs Area 1 #2
Game 2: Area 1 - #1 vs Area 4 #2
Game 3: Area 2 - #1 vs Area 3 #2
Game 4: Area 3 - #1 vs Host

Area 3 - Host
Game 1: Area 1 - #1 vs Area 2 - #2
Game 2: Area 2 - #1 vs Area 1 - #2
Game 3: Area 3 - #1 vs Area 4 - #2
Game 4: Area 4 - #1 vs Host

Area 4 - Host
Game 1: Area 2 - #1 vs Area 3 - #2
Game 2: Area 3 - #1 vs Area 2 - #2
Game 3: Area 4 - #1 vs Area 1 - #2
Game 4: Area 1 - #1 vs Host

I'm totally open to suggestions and comments. Since all teams attend orientation the day before the tournament starts, travel for the teams is not an issue, but I do realize travel for fans is an issue for 9:30 games. Historically, the 9:30 games, especially on a weekday are poorly attended. That's the only downside I see. Please let me know if you like this better or prefer to leave it the same as the past.

Please shoot holes in this as I've spent about 5 minutes putting together a rotating schedule to propose for the State Tournament going forward.

Including Games 5-8 for Day 2 in the first schedule; however, they will always remain the same as normal in the Legion bracket to ensure teams from the same Area have a chance to meet in the winners bracket final on Day 3.

If the Host wins the Area Championship and secures the #1 Seed; then Games 3 & 4 simply switch to accommodate the Host team having the last game of the day.

Area 1 - Host

Area 2 - Host

Area 3 - Host

Area 4 - Host

I'm totally open to suggestions and comments. Since all teams attend orientation the day before the tournament starts, travel for the teams is not an issue, but I do realize travel for fans is an issue for 9:30 games. Historically, the 9:30 games, especially on a weekday are poorly attended. That's the only downside I see. Please let me know if you like this better or prefer to leave it the same as the past.

I think this is as good as anything else that can be put out there. I'll just add a couple of things:

1. The team who wins the winner's bracket final (Game 13) should not have to play the extra game. I think the team that comes out 3-0 should be rewarded for winning 3 straight and not forced to play a one-loss team before the championship game.

2. The only teams eligible to make the state tournament are area champions and area runner-ups. I know people will argue that attendance would be an issue but if we truly want to determine who the best team in the state is, take the top 2 teams from each area. In addition, I think it would be much more enjoyable to hold the state tournament at a neutral site (ex. minor league ball park or a CPL-type field) that actually has shade/shelter for the fans sake. I don't think it would be difficult for each area (when it is their turn) to secure an above-par field/stadium.

Reactions: west boy
I think this is as good as anything else that can be put out there. I'll just add a couple of things:

1. The team who wins the winner's bracket final (Game 13) should not have to play the extra game. I think the team that comes out 3-0 should be rewarded for winning 3 straight and not forced to play a one-loss team before the championship game.

2. The only teams eligible to make the state tournament are area champions and area runner-ups. I know people will argue that attendance would be an issue but if we truly want to determine who the best team in the state is, take the top 2 teams from each area. In addition, I think it would be much more enjoyable to hold the state tournament at a neutral site (ex. minor league ball park or a CPL-type field) that actually has shade/shelter for the fans sake. I don't think it would be difficult for each area (when it is their turn) to secure an above-par field/stadium.
in most cases the area runner-up is close to the host team, at Jr level this year, east rowan my have more fans at the games than mocksville.

Covered seating should be a requirement for Seniors. There are a lot of day games in state c-ship.

the loser of game 13 would play one less game than everyone else in the losers bracket. to be fair they would need to seed the 4 area champions , so 2 best teams wouldnt meet until the finals of the winners bracket. or go to a 16 team tournament. with a 16 team tournament after 4 games, 1 team would be 4-0 and would get a double bye to championship game . 4 teams would be 3-1 after 4 games

Area 1 - Host

Area 2 - Host
Area 3 - Host

Area 4 - Host

alot of times the 2 best teams play each other on day 2, they should play each other on day 3 in the finals of the winners bracket.

alot of times the 2 best teams play each other on day 2, they should play each other on day 3 in the finals of the winners bracket.

You are referring to the "perceived" best two teams. Tournament structure is to form a fair method to reward the best team. A seven game series does not work because of the time constraints in Legion baseball so double elimination is the next best. Seeding teams that have not competed against the same group of teams is why college football got out of whack. You can get a bad draw, but a rotating match-up is the most fair way.

Hope this helps explain that nothing is perfect, but we must find the best option that is fair and consistent.

the area runner-up in host area should be close to the host team sense they are in the same area. therefore it shouldnt hurt attendance. east rowan may have had more fans that want Mocksville had at the JR level and east rowan may have played more tournament games than Mocksville east rowan is closer to Mocksville than any of the 7 tournament teams besides Mocksville

the area runner-up in host area should be close to the host team sense they are in the same area. therefore it shouldnt hurt attendance. east rowan may have had more fans that want Mocksville had at the JR level and east rowan may have played more tournament games than Mocksville east rowan is closer to Mocksville than any of the 7 tournament teams besides Mocksville
How do you guarantee who the area runner-up team is going to be?

Not to pick apart the rest of your post but...

HUH??

How do you guarantee who the area runner-up team is going to be?

Not to pick apart the rest of your post but...

HUH??[/QUOTE the host area runner well be in same area as the host team, therefore they should be close to the host team and should draw as many fans as the host would,

Ok that is true that a host area runner up should have approximately the same or possibly more fans attending games. I agree with you on that.

I did not however understand how this was relevant to the previous posts about possible rotation of tournaments.

Maybe I missed something?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT