ADVERTISEMENT

Prelim Brackets 4 - Final

You will have to remove louisburg from your projections. They can not go per conference rules. They refuse to play the Nash county 3a schools. Check their schedule

• Wow
Reactions: Maiden Creek
I was looking at the projections that Grizz has this year and noticed South Granville and remembered that there was a question about South Granville being a conference champion from last year.

Soooo….I went back to this thread to reread it. I never found the answer…so I’m asking now.

How were they seeded as a champion at 9th for the playoffs last year?

Sorry for the confusion….y’all. 😂😂😂

Reactions: Tiger_Pride21
You will have to remove louisburg from your projections. They can not go per conference rules. They refuse to play the Nash county 3a schools. Check their schedule
I can’t remember who said it ….but this was mentioned earlier and I found it very strange…..but no one said they were ineligible for playoffs….is that true?

Louisburg went 5-3, 1-3 last year and did not go to the playoffs. They did not play Southern or Northern Nash but did play 3-A Franklinton.

I am guessing they played Franklinton since both are Franklin county schools but would like to hear more about the refusal to play the two 3-A Nash County schools. Is there that much of an enrollment difference or something else at play?

My understanding is when the NCHSAA formed the new conferences, louisburg appealed being placed in with the 3a Nash county schools, Rocky Mount, northern nash, southern nash and franklinton from Franklin county school systems.
The state rejected the appeal and they appealed it again for the last and final alignment was announced. They lost the appeal. they then announced that they would not play those schools and they haven’t except for Franklinton. As a result the state said if they didn’t play them they would not be eligible to be a participant in the state football playoffs as a conference representative. There is a huge difference in enrollment numbers from Louisburg and Bunn compared to the 3a schools. In my opinion it all could have been fixed by taking Vance putting them in with the 3a. Take South Granville, JF Webb and Granville Central and putting them with louisburg, Bunn, nash central and Roanoke rapids.

My understanding is when the NCHSAA formed the new conferences, louisburg appealed being placed in with the 3a Nash county schools, Rocky Mount, northern nash, southern nash and franklinton from Franklin county school systems.
The state rejected the appeal and they appealed it again for the last and final alignment was announced. They lost the appeal. they then announced that they would not play those schools and they haven’t except for Franklinton. As a result the state said if they didn’t play them they would not be eligible to be a participant in the state football playoffs as a conference representative. There is a huge difference in enrollment numbers from Louisburg and Bunn compared to the 3a schools. In my opinion it all could have been fixed by taking Vance putting them in with the 3a. Take South Granville, JF Webb and Granville Central and putting them with louisburg, Bunn, nash central and Roanoke rapids.
Good stuff right here. 😉

Found this in the minutes from the NCHSAA spring meeting this year.

In order for Louisburg to be eligible for a Wildcard berth in football for the Fall season of 2022, Louisburg’s football record must be .500 or higher in games with conference teams(must win at least 2 of the 4 conference games on the schedule), AND Louisburg must finish with a .500 or higher overall record (conference games do count in the overall record

Not sure if this was accepted or not but again, it was taken off the NCHSAA website. Whether they are in or not will of course affect teams and seedings.

From handbook below:

NOTE: The highest finishing team in its half of a split conference must finish in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall and/or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher in order to be seeded as a #1. Otherwise, the team will be seeded with all other at-large teams.

SG should finish no worse than 3rd in that league so that would satisfy the criteria above, correct?
Last year SG was 4-6 overall and 3-2 in conference (2A division champion) and was seeded #9 (as a conference champion), I don't think the seeding rules have changed this year...it's tough to be the division champion without winning three games

Also, last year I believe Louisburg was ineligible for the playoffs in football because they opted out of playing Northern Nash, Rocky Mount, and Southern Nash (conference opponents), at least they must have been ineligible since they did not make it, in spite of having an RPI high enough to make it seem like they would have been in as a wild card, had they been eligible

I think based on this coming from the spring meeting this year the NCHSAA must have adopted new criteria for Louisburg for this season. You are correct that Louisburg qualified based on RPI last year but did not participate in the playoffs. The above specifies that Louisburg MUST finish at least .500 (2-2) in their conference games this year so that leads me to believe that it does pertain to the 2022 fall season.

You are also correct about SG last year. I would think they would be in the same position this season given their remaining schedule and be seeded with the other conference champions.

I think the Louisburg thing may be a moot point. I dont see them going 2-2 in the four conference games they have remaining. Surely someone reads these boards from the other schools in that league and can provide clarification?

SG was deemed a conference champion last year; but, the seedings rules for conference champions of split conferences states that the champion must finish in 1st, 2nd or 3rd…SG finished 3rd so that part is correct….it also says…and/or finishes at .500 or better overall.

SG did not finish at .500 or better overall.

Is the seeding rule miswritten?….or did the seeding committee make a mistake?

Hoping someone will know.

SG was deemed a conference champion last year; but, the seedings rules for conference champions of split conferences states that the champion must finish in 1st, 2nd or 3rd…SG finished 3rd so that part is correct….it also says…and/or finishes at .500 or better overall.

Exactly...the way it is written, they should not be a CC

In split conferences the team must do at least one of the following: Finish in top 3 OR have an overall winning percentage of .500.

I feel like a lot of people get confused because it is written as "and/or finishes at .500 or better overall". They should just take the and out and leave it as or. Only one piece of the criteria has to be met.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT