ADVERTISEMENT

Pre snap offsetting penalties??

tarheelg

Sep 21, 2001
Creedmoor, NC
Question: Is it possible, within the NFHS rules, to have offsetting pre-snap/dead ball penalties for illegal procedure/false start on the offense and encroachment on the defense?? Neither myself, nor any of the others in the press box or among coaching staff later have ever, ever heard of or seen this happen.....I've always been under the impression that if it both teams jumped that the officials should discuss it and walk off the five yards against one team when they determined who did something illegal first...please advise

Curious to have no replies to this question from any of the officials on the board in a full week....I'll ask again: Is it legally possible in high school football (or any level??) to have offsetting penalties prior to the snap with the offense jumping for false start/illegal procedure and defensive guy in the neutral zone for encroachment?

First, I really don’t look at these forums more than a couple of times a month. Just not as active as it once was.

If one wing official has the defense encroaching and the other wing has the offense false starting, yes they would offset.

It would be a rare situation so that’s probably why you wouldn’t have seen it previously.

Reactions: tarheelg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT