ADVERTISEMENT

Power County

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
Edgecombe County is batting 1.000 with each team not only playing in, but hosting 3rd round games! Playing thankgiving games is usually the benchmark for having a great season, and folks here are happy to have three options to choose from right here at home.
1AA Tarboro 12-0
2A SW Edgecombe 12-1
1A North Edgecombe 9-3 (2 losses to Tar, SWE)
Just thought it was a cool bit of info about football talent in the area. Name some more football power counties.

Reactions: SWO-#1
Craven County has all 3 high schools still in. Havelock, New Bern, and West Craven.
That's right! Didn't even think about Craven County. I have a question...I go crabbing in New Bern all the time, usually a few blocks from Union Park, on one of the piers on the walkway down from Tryon Palace. Where is NBHS in relation to that area? I know where Walmart and CCC are, and a few other areas. Used to work in Taberna.

That's right! Didn't even think about Craven County. I have a question...I go crabbing in New Bern all the time, usually a few blocks from Union Park, on one of the piers on the walkway down from Tryon Palace. Where is NBHS in relation to that area? I know where Walmart and CCC are, and a few other areas. Used to work in Taberna.

From Wal-Mart you would head south on 17 like headed to Jacksonville. New Bern High would be on the right after you pass Tractor supply which would be on the left. It's off the road but there is a sign where to turn.

Reactions: SWE'98
Gates County is batting 1.000 as well all their high schools are in the 3rd round!! Go Red Barons, beat N Edgecombe
How many counties have only one public high school? Gates, Caswell, Person ... somebody else can list others.

How many counties have only one public high school? Gates, Caswell, Person ... somebody else can list others.
Gates, Chowan, Perquimans, Camden, Currituck, Tyrrell, Washington, Bertie, Hertford, Northampton, Warren, Vance, Person, Caswell, Pamlico, Jones, Greene, Hoke, Richmond, Scotland, Anson, Montgomery, Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Watauga, Avery, Mitchell, Yancey, Madison, Graham, Swain (if you don't count Cherokee the federal school), Clay, Macon, Polk, not counting Jackson due to Blue Ridge Early College, who does not play football....not counting Hyde due to Mattamuskeet and Ocracoke (neither of whom play football)....I might have missed one...but if I counted right, that's 35 out of 100 counties with just 1 traditional high school

Reactions: daagoob
Gates, Chowan, Perquimans, Camden, Currituck, Tyrrell, Washington, Bertie, Hertford, Northampton, Warren, Vance, Person, Caswell, Pamlico, Jones, Greene, Hoke, Richmond, Scotland, Anson, Montgomery, Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Watauga, Avery, Mitchell, Yancey, Madison, Graham, Swain (if you don't count Cherokee the federal school), Clay, Macon, Polk, not counting Jackson due to Blue Ridge Early College, who does not play football....not counting Hyde due to Mattamuskeet and Ocracoke (neither of whom play football)....I might have missed one...but if I counted right, that's 35 out of 100 counties with just 1 traditional high school
It's also worth noting that in Washington, Northampton, Vance, and Montgomery, they all had 2 schools in very recent memory but the respective county school boards consolidated them to save money....Ashe had 3 about 20 years ago and they cut it down to 1....Bladen had 3 about 20 years ago and they cut it down to 2

It's also worth noting that in Washington, Northampton, Vance, and Montgomery, they all had 2 schools in very recent memory but the respective county school boards consolidated them to save money....Ashe had 3 about 20 years ago and they cut it down to 1....Bladen had 3 about 20 years ago and they cut it down to 2
McDowell?

Reactions: tarheelg
Yes, add McDowell....I think that's 36...must have blocked them out of my mind after that trip down NC 80 from the Blue Ridge Parkway when I was 10 years old, resulting in by far, the most nauseated I've ever felt in a car
Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT