ADVERTISEMENT

Pender 106, Hobbton 83

Hobbton has been involved in a lot of these type of games over the last 2-3 years.

Wow!!! I want to see the stats for this one. It breaks the state record of number points in a game. DH Conley defeated CB Aycock 83-68 in 2016.
I still can't believe that a school rolled the score board over! Think about you lost by 23 points and the look up at the scoreboard and it says you are up 83 to 6! Blows what little mind I have away. I hope this game will be up on Youtube. Somebody tell me how many points a minute were scored...... that's got to be a national record!

According to this list from Maxpreps the last game where this many points were scored was 80 years ago. Maybe the list is wrong, but I'd be amazed if there were another game like this in the recent past (last 50 years or so).

My father told me about a game he officiated in the 90’s. Cardinal Gibbons played Eastern NC School for the Deaf in Wilson. The final was CG 100, ENCSD 42. The Crusaders were reported to the Association for allegedly letting the Hornets score continuously so they could reach 100 points.

Reactions: Swo1980
Hobbton will be similar yardage, but around half to 3/4 of it will be passing I think from what I saw.

Reactions: Swo1980
I've seen for Pender, 76 carries for 912 yards rushing, and 1-2 passing for just three yards. Have not seen stats for Hobbton.
12 yards a carry. Divide that 912 by their 14 TDs and it works out to an average 65 yards per drive. I would venture to guess that no one punted the entire game, just take the kickoff and go down the field.

I watched the nfhs highlights on youtube today and was amazed that Pender never kicked an extra point all night. Do they not have a kicker or is that always their game plan to run 2 point conversions on every score?

That Cardinal Gibbons-ENCSD game was played in 1995. Gibbons, at the time, was one of the worst teams in the state, but they hired a new coach that year who brought in a lot of new players and they were immediately much better. They'd beaten Oak Ridge 82-18 a few weeks before and then decided to get 100 on ENCSD by letting them run kickoffs back for touchdowns to get the ball back.

They got the 100 points late in the game and took a knee on the conversion. It broke the then-record of 141 by two teams set by Fuquay-Varina in a game with Southern Durham earlier that same season (83-58), but the NCHSAA didn't recognize it because Gibbons was not an NCHSAA member at the time. The record before '95 had been 139, by Tarboro and Hertford (70-69) in a 1993 game that I attended.

I was working at the Henderson Dispatch in 1995, and it came in as an AP news brief that night and I ran it. If I had known how it had been "achieved," I wouldn't have. The Gibbons coach was forced to resign within a few days of the game. I honestly don't know why ENCSD, once they realized what was going on, didn't just fair-catch the kickoffs.

That Cardinal Gibbons-ENCSD game was played in 1995. Gibbons, at the time, was one of the worst teams in the state, but they hired a new coach that year who brought in a lot of new players and they were immediately much better. They'd beaten Oak Ridge 82-18 a few weeks before and then decided to get 100 on ENCSD by letting them run kickoffs back for touchdowns to get the ball back.

They got the 100 points late in the game and took a knee on the conversion. It broke the then-record of 141 by two teams set by Fuquay-Varina in a game with Southern Durham earlier that same season (83-58), but the NCHSAA didn't recognize it because Gibbons was not an NCHSAA member at the time. The record before '95 had been 139, by Tarboro and Hertford (70-69) in a 1993 game that I attended.

I was working at the Henderson Dispatch in 1995, and it came in as an AP news brief that night and I ran it. If I had known how it had been "achieved," I wouldn't have. The Gibbons coach was forced to resign within a few days of the game. I honestly don't know why ENCSD, once they realized what was going on, didn't just fair-catch the kickoffs.
Ah, leave it to the resident journo to fill in the blanks. Like I said, the old man called the game, but there’s only so much he will say about it. Thanks for the info John!

Reactions: jsc1973
I watched the end of this one online - the lights went out with about 1 1/2 minutes to play because they were on a timer to shut off at 11 pm. So they only played about 46 1/2 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT