ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TO SOUTH CAROLINA?

enuff_znuff

Oct 7, 2001
A friend in SC shared with me these stats.

Teacher pay is more by almost $10,000, (see SC state salary schedule) coaching stipend is between $5000 to $9000 depending on the schools district, and yes they have the same medical insurance plans as NC.

So, no wonder I see NC Coaches leave for SC.

Reactions: swett2victory
I was an assistant in Illinois the AD offered me $7000 for each sport, football, basketball, track equaled to $21k

well if you know a little about Illinois, geting a teacher job in a state with a union, makes it tuff to get a job, there are teachers who work other jobs in hopes of getting a teaching job one day, any opening, schools have to interview, first out of work union teachers then sort through 1,000 applicants .. so best bet is to be a sub for a few years so a Principal knows you .. the process can burn you out

Last edited:
East St Louis has good football out that way. Back to their old ways; it's a shame what happened with Coach Shannon, he was fantastic.

well if you know a little about Illinois, geting a teacher job in a state with a union, makes it tuff to get a job, there are teachers who work other jobs in hopes of getting a teaching job one day, any opening, schools have to interview, first out of work union teachers then sort through 1,000 applicants .. so best bet is to be a sub for a few years so a Principal knows you .. the process can burn you out

Yea, that would suck. A friend of mine went up there to Chester HS several years ago. He was from there and got the HC job. Asked me to go, but my wife wouldn't move that far from home. The pay was much better than here.

I saw where the HFC at Grant HS in Fox Lake, IL was making 120,000 as a math teacher, another was an assistant football and wrestling teaching english was making 80,000. We talked with a friend at a school where they had 3 teachers retiring making 100,000 and that they were going to get 70% for retirement, that means a retired teaching making 70,000 is almost double of a NC teachers.

The pay varies by system. I'm in a rural county that pays about 4k less than NC. Head men make big $ in big systems...not much difference in small ones. Averages are not a good judgement tool. The highest average pay by college major at UNC for example is Geology....just so happens that they average 15 graduates per year...and Michael Jordan majored in it too. Just saying....

Reactions: swett2victory
Comparing north and south in teacher and coaching pay is very much apples to oranges it is not even close but NC and SC is just mind boggling. When I first moved here in 1998 NC teachers pay was slightly above the National average and it looked like NC was well on its way to being the best state in the south to work as an educator, and was a much better state to work than SC. Now NC is being outdone by SC, GA, FL, TX, TN, VA ect ect. As it stands right now NC is lagging and has major problems finding teachers and is about to be in a crisis if this trend continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT