ADVERTISEMENT

Questions about being a Head Coach in North Carolina

swett2victory

Aug 28, 2010
Cocoa Beach, Florida
gipphy.gif

Last edited:
Is a 5K financial supplement ridiculous or generous for the type of responsibility and amount of extra time required from a dedicated coach to also adequately fulfill the role of a coach as well as teacher?

If any North Carolina county gave teachers a 2% raise while increasing insurance premiums by 16%. For those that insure their families, this means it is basically a take home PAY CUT of almost $6,000 per year.......correct?

And if a coach makes over 6K, are they required a teaching position?

Or actually let me ask it this way.......since MC is voted the best in the state......what the most that Head Ball Coach could possibly make?

Is a 5K financial supplement ridiculous or generous for the type of responsibility and amount of extra time required from a dedicated coach to also adequately fulfill the role of a coach as well as teacher?

If any North Carolina county gave teachers a 2% raise while increasing insurance premiums by 16%. For those that insure their families, this means it is basically a take home PAY CUT of almost $6,000 per year.......correct?

And if a coach makes over 6K, are they required a teaching position?

Or actually let me ask it this way.......since MC is voted the best in the state......what the most that Head Ball Coach could possibly make?
A good question? NC need to start paying head coaches good money like they do in GA. and SC. and get out of the stone age in salaries for head coaches and let them have more say in scheduling teams from other areas as long as they make money for the school.

Reactions: swett2victory
$5000 HC supplement + 2 weight room supplements + field maintenance supplement + 1 or 2 more months salary (depending on county) = $12000-$17000 conservative estimate. With years of experience and or booster monies $20000- $25000.

I'm not saying that the HC doesn't earn every dollar. Most send many hours a day chasing that competitive edge. The bigger the pay check the more stress that is envolved. Managing players, parents, boosters, recruiters, administration, community, assistant coaches, not to mention fundraising, field maintenance, equipment and so on and so forth.....

This is funny... if one of my assistant coaches told somethin like that about me...he'd be unemployed by midnight... that's about 18 minutes. Lol.

What counties have it the worst? In Pender County coaches get paid a percentage of their salary. This isn't always bad, however Pender County gives a percentage of salary based on the 2004 Teacher Pay scale. Yes you read that right...2004.

Also Football is the only sport that gets paid assistants. So Baseball, Soccer, Basketball, etc. get a paid head varsity coach and a paid head jv coach and thats it.

A good question? NC need to start paying head coaches good money like they do in GA. and SC. and get out of the stone age in salaries for head coaches and let them have more say in scheduling teams from other areas as long as they make money for the school.
I've heard stories in Georgia about HS football coaches making 6 figures annually. It gets better though.......a lot of these schools are small classifications too!

lol

------------------ BREAK ------------------

Heck I have heard of the boosters giving ball coach a House and a new Caddy

More typical East of Greensboro except for the big City/county systems.... HC 10 month. Supplement $3200 or less... Grass money for summer$1200. Wt. room supplement $1000. SC in coastal counties might be closer to Rockingham...but out of the 100 NC counties....I would wager that 70% of the head men make less than $8000 for their entire package.

Reactions: ThrowItAround
You must be saying Richmond County. There is no way Rockingham county pays that for a HC. Most counties offer one extra month pay. Then you can negotiate for the summer supplements for field maintenance, weight room, etc. Smaller counties and one HS systems have much more ability/flexibility to pay. A school system that offers 12 month pay is a huge bonus!

Over 17 HC in Ga make 6 figures or more. The highest paid was Jess Simpson(Buford) who made $174,000. He now coaches for the Atlanta Falcons.

The only way to make money as a HS coach is to get a job at one of the few- one HS,one school system. You can negotiate your salary . Or retire from NC and move to another state ( double dip )

I've heard stories in Georgia about HS football coaches making 6 figures annually. It gets better though.......a lot of these schools are small classifications too!

lol

------------------ BREAK ------------------

Heck I have heard of the boosters giving ball coach a House and a new Caddy
Some even got a Ford F150 brand new with everything plus over $100,000 a year.

More typical East of Greensboro except for the big City/county systems.... HC 10 month. Supplement $3200 or less... Grass money for summer$1200. Wt. room supplement $1000. SC in coastal counties might be closer to Rockingham...but out of the 100 NC counties....I would wager that 70% of the head men make less than $8000 for their entire package.
You cannot be serious? What is the system and counties doing with all the money. Isn't the state lottery money is suppose to be to help the schools out with finances when needed.

Some even got a Ford F150 brand new with everything plus over $100,000 a year.
Now that's crazy.....

i've heard where a weight lifting coach makes what an assistant makes in a different city and the asst weightlifting coach may sometimes end up volunteering. It has been said that the position at a school is sometimes based off of teaching certificates. The stipend is then added from the school with approval.

The whole issue yesterday, today and beyond, is money. No money and the school suffers from a great staff and athletes

Usually the guys that are interested they don't want to hire, and they guys they want to hire are not interested.

Last edited:
It's tough in NC because usually most Counties have multiple Schools and that means the more Schools in that County then the less they can pay.. tight budgets all around the state

Sorry it's the truth! SC doesn't have as many high schools in most county's as NC. Example Gaffney has 1 high school Cleveland just above Gaffney in NC has 4..

Davidson County is so cheap that it's nearly impossible to get supplement pay if you're not a teacher. Is this common throughout the state?

Sorry it's the truth! SC doesn't have as many high schools in most county's as NC. Example Gaffney has 1 high school Cleveland just above Gaffney in NC has 4..

Gaffney is in Cherokee County. Think Blacksburg HS is there. Cleveland County has about double the population of Cherokee.

NC will need to pay teachers before they pay the coaches or there would be RIOTS .. Lol, like an earlier post, the state gave the teachers a pay raise with this new budget but oops teachers will be paying more for Med INS, so teachers will actually make less next year .. Wake up NC teachers you want real raises and pay, MOVE, let the NC suffer from massive teacher shortages, then let the NC respond with massive raises, then move back .. Lol

I can see the bigger schools paying bigger supplements because programs make more than most small schools. Look at gates receipts say at Scotland county,big bucks annually I would guess. NC is behind on coaching money so I'm told by coaches I know. Maybe one day it will level out. Hope so.

I was reading where many states in the bottom of teacher pay are having teacher shortages in Arizona rural areas are hiring almost anyone to sit in a classroom, San Francisco was actually recruiting nation wide, while in states that pay on the high end, teachers with out teaching jobs just take other jobs in hopes of being hired one day, in NC many schools rely on Teach for America program to fill in spots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT